Freeland, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So I should have done this a month ago when our build started, but better late than never. There will be some good and bad along the way, but let's get everyone up to speed. We decided on a Leading Edge Bellaire fiberglass pool. It is 14x31 and will be getting deck jets, along with three SR Smith lights, a heat pump, Hayward VS speed pump, SWG and Hayward OmniHub. We negotiated with the pool builder to have 4ft of concrete on three sides and 8ft on the long side furthest from the house. It will also tie into our existing concrete patio off the back of the house.

I'll be building a 16x20 pool house/shed at the back of the property during the build, as there wouldn't have been space to build it prior to setting the pool.

Pre-Build Pano.jpg Dig1.jpg Dig2.jpg Setting Pool.jpg

20210519_204054.jpg Heat Pump.jpg Pool Equipment.jpg 20210519_204054.jpg 20210604_165808.jpg

I'll be adding a couple timelapse videos of the build when I get some time. The dig started on May 4th and the pool was in the hole with a water truck here by 3:30 that afternoon. Backfill happened over the next couple days and that next weekend I built the decking for the shed. Power was ran and walls were framed and sheathed over the course of the next week. I'm extremely grateful for having an electrician and competent set of hands in the family to help with this portion of the project, as raising walls and trusses was just more than I could have handled alone.

And here was the progress on day two. At those point they took the next day off and returned on Friday to move a lot more sand around, do some plumbing, set the auto cover track and tube and generally be ready for equipment to be set. This is where my work would start and I'd need to get the shed built.

And now the bad. Pool builder hired a concrete company he admitted to never working with before and chose not to show up the day it was poured. After the pour I was told that the concrete crew boss decided to go on vacation and was not on site for the pour and the guy that seemed to be running the show said he's never done a cantilevered coping form like that. They did not vibe anything as they weren't told to bring that equipment or do that. I also did not observe them put down any form oil. This is the result. The brushing is horrible, there are holes in spots around the skimmer lid, the actual flat work is wavy and ponds water. The coping, well, a disaster. This was poured last Friday.

20210611_195520.jpg 20210611_195956.jpg 20210611_200151.jpg 20210611_200546.jpg

20210611_195544.jpg20210611_195539.jpg

The pool builder came out that night to remove the forms, since the concrete crew did not do this and he said they were supposed to. We were not home at the time. Once we returned home I immediately texted the PB asking what we're going to do to fix this and he basically said he was too tired and soaked from working all day to deal with this and refused to come out the next day to talk about our options. I stated that if he was too busy to have the owner of the company call me. His response was that the owner knows but will not call me. Truly appalled by the unprofessionalism. I kept on him, stating that the sooner this is pulled out, before concrete totally cures, the better it will be for him, at which point he just keeps mentioning I only have an allowance for concrete with no real explanation what this means. The PB sold the job with a specific concrete description (4ft on three sides, 8ft on one long side of the pool) and is seemingly trying to make it sound like it will be on me to have it removed and replaced. I did not set up the concrete crew and have no connection to them, it was all handled by the pool builder, so I feel it should be his responsibility. During his rant on me he then tried stating that trades are booked out a year and this was the only crew they could find. This was never mentioned when we booked (and put down a deposit) in January and were given an installation date of Memorial Day. Actual ground breaking turned out to be much earlier so we had no suspicion that anything would be held up.

During his rant, he said it wouldn't be until August now if we want a good crew to do the concrete. He got more and more upset with me saying this is not acceptable to the point he stopped responding when I asked for at least a vacuum to be delivered so I can clean this mess up. As you can see there was massive amounts of of debris dumped into the pool. There is also a lot of excess concrete chunks scattered throughout the yard and they washed out their equipment in what was a section of good lawn.

I'm at a loss and not sure what to do. I'm guessing they will refuse to install the auto cover since the concrete will have to be removed. They have provided no contact and no options/solutions to us. Ultimately, the PB has enough money paid to him that he would be tickled for us to fire him. We still have not had any chemical, other than salt, delivered, no cleaning equipment, no winter cover, no auto cover, etc.

• Sad
Reactions: Snoobug
That's probably a bit premature as this was just last Friday and he did claim he would "figure something out" but his tone and the fact that I have heard nothing since leads me to believe it may end up there in the future. What's funny is he claimed they were not able to get a good look at the poor quality because there was a downpour at the time. However my camera clearly shows them pounding off the forms and looking right at it over the course of 20 minutes. At one point the audio can pick up him saying "I don't know if they can fix that."

I'm very hesitant to go down that path as we still have not received so much of what we have paid for. They had been great up until something went wrong and then the victim blaming started immediately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
unfortunately people's true colors come out when they are in crisis - sounds like you are in for some gaslighting - the builder is going to create a negotiation anchor of something ridiculous, like suggesting your are responsible for all of this or that there was no level of quality specified in the contract, this way when they come up with some form of mitigation it will seem generous. "Well, let's split the cost and call it a day"

We we around $9k I believe and a good chunk of that would cover the concrete, which they subbed out. From the sounds of it there is basically one guy that overseas all the pool work and he's running from 5:30 in the morning to midnight every day going job to job. For instance, Friday night he was forced to drive an hour and a half each way to spend 20 minutes here removing forms because communication with the concrete company was poor. He also still has not hooked up our saltwater system into the Omni Hub so that it can be automated. Time management skills seem to be lacking, to say the least. I get that he's crazy busy but once pointed out that none of this is my fault or problem and needs immediate attention he got really mad, at which point I asked to have the owner call me, which I was then told that won't happen.

you don't want a disgruntled employee overseeing your job - sounds like this guy is burnt out - if you have contact with the owner i would talk to him directly with your concerns. Do you have a way bypassing him and talking directly to the owner? If not you might be able to pierce through this guy's wall by empathizing with his workload, lay it on thick with how crazy it is that he is working so hard - validate all his feelings about being over worked - then hit him with your concerns.

I could try calling the pool company office but they have expanded operations to include a large manufacturing facility where they make rails, over the edge pool features, slides, etc. It's a pretty big operation and I was told by the pool builder that the owner would not call me. I'm guessing this really just doesn't matter to them. The PB did text this morning to state that the concrete company owner would be over here this Saturday to inspect. I've attached a bunch of pictures and will attach a few more, but hit my max for this post. The first gives you a general picture of the layout, the rest show just some of the trouble areas. Note the poor placement of a joint next to a skimmer lid - it has already cracked and chipped away. Brushing changes directions randomly and not at joints and in some places does not get all the way to pool edge. The edge of the auto cover tub is protruding at least 3/8" above the concrete in one corner.

I feel for the installer, this has to be a nightmare and considering how great and nice he has been up to this point I really think there are a lot of other factors influencing what is going on. I also feel like a complete remove and replace of the concrete is the only solution as there just isn't much of any square footage good enough to keep. If it ruins the autocover track, tub, deck jets, anchors, etc. then those will also have to be replaced and I'm terrified it will crack the shell.

20210616_090112.jpg20210616_085742.jpg20210616_085748.jpg20210616_085829.jpg20210616_085752.jpg20210616_085756.jpg20210616_085806.jpg20210616_085822.jpg20210616_085846.jpg20210616_085947.jpg

I could post dozens more picture of the coping. One long and one short side of the pool is pretty much this bad all the way around. The other two sides are better, but nowhere near acceptable.

20210616_085956.jpg20210616_090042.jpg

i think you want to be as nice and sympathetic to the PB as possible and get him on your side, but also be like "listen, I am not an a**, you have to recognize that this is substandard work - I am a reasonable person, I am just looking to get the professional job that i know your company is able to deliver, that I paid for, and this is not it. Would you feel comfortable taking prospective clients here to my pool to show off this work? If the answer is 'no' then we need to do something about this." I would take the same approach when the concrete owner is there. Be polite and first play up to their sense of pride before making any threats or implying that you will take some sort of action. If none of that works then you need to go a different rout and take a more aggressive tone. But right this second the PB is your friend and he has the power to escalate your concerns.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Also - show them your major structural concerns first before complaining about brush finishes, etc. Don't give them the excuse to think your are just super persnickety. Hit them with the objectively defective stuff first - then go into the "and not for nothing but this finish work is also just sloppy"

Yeah, it's more the huge, jagged chunks that are going to slice up little feet and the coping that are the major concerns. Also getting a lot of washout around the slab. I knew it didn't seem like there was enough sand built up but I figured they were the professionals and knew what they were doing. They also left me lots of concrete chunks and washed out equipment in what was perfectly fine grass.

20210616_114635.jpg20210616_114542.jpg20210616_114552.jpg

i think your entire slab there is at risk to be undermined with erosion and settlement - that looks to me like a retaining wall should have been in play or a much shallower slope. But that is a completely layperson observation - I could be wrong. I don't know who was responsible for your sub grade but overall this doesn't look too stable to me. Maybe some people with more expertise can jump in

The PB had brought in a huge amount of sand and it did have a more gradual roll off the side, but the PB kept robbing from this bank of sand to build grade up level for the concrete. There wasn't much left but I figured they knew what they were doing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.