New egg questions. Total noob!

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Hey guys.

I finally have my egg coming Saturday.

I got all kinds of questions.

1. I know for first 5-6 hrs keep it below 500 degrees to break it in.

2. So I figured try ribs. Somewhat cheap and somewhat straight forward I’m thinking.

3. So I load up my egg with charcoal. I have those firer starters from big green egg. They gave them toe. Toss 1 in the middle. light it. Close the lid. And wait to get to temp.

4. How much wood chunk do I add?

5. How often will I need to add wood for smoke?

6. I know this is preference but Do I keep smoke on the ribs the whole time or let the wood burn out and stop adding if so.

7. Temp control. I have watched videos but can I get u all time give me some pointers on heat control from heat up to maintaining with the top and bottom adjustment.

8. Anything else I need to know for now?

9. Do u guys use the drip pans below grate on the indirect insert for ur eggs or Komodo joes?

10. About how long will it take to smoke 1-2 racks of baby backs or regular ribs? I know both will diff. Just trying to get an idea so I know what to shoot for.

Thanks
Jim

I have a bullet style Weber smoker that I think is similar to your egg. Mine has a charcoal ring at the bottom, then a water tray, then 2 racks stacked on top of each other. Was that egg designed for smoking? Smoking is all about heat control. Try to keep it at a constant 225. This involves setting and resetting the vents. I can be a pain but once you figure out your setup, it should be set and forget for the most part. I go for 4-6 hours for ribs. My water pan doubles as a drip pan. Conventional smoking wisdom says load up with your soaked wood chips and once they are gone, you don't need anymore. For 4 racks I go with 1/2 gallon or so of chips.

Here is the one I have -> Weber 18” Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker | Weber Smoker | Weber Grills

Smoking Instructions -> https://weber.mizecx.com/retrieve/s...206001&Signature=Jn4Gj2n3fV83UdRZ8XQ3MnaJKLc=

What size is your egg? I have the Large Big Green Egg.

Typically, I can get a full 18-20 hour smoke out of a single load of charcoal/wood without needing to add. Only use Natural Hardwood (Chunk) charcoal in your egg. Don't use briquettes, they have chemicals in them that you don't want in your egg or on your food. Wood/Charcoal mix is really up to you. Depending on what I am cooking, I use different mixtures and different woods. That's part of the fun of smoking foods. For your first cook, load up the charcoal and then throw a few chunks of fruit tree wood into the mix. Shy away from Mesquite when cooking pork, it's a little strong for pork.

Temperature control is pretty straightforward. Air inlet on the bottom and air exit on the top. Once your fire is going you adjust the inlet and outlet to maintain your desired cooking temperature. For a low and slow smoke 225-250 is where you want to be. For that, your inlet and outlets will be barely open. Once the Egg heats up, the ceramic holds a ton of heat. You could also get one of these: DigiQ DX3 BBQ Temperature Control Green 6 ft probes It will turn your egg into nearly a set it and forget it type smoker.

Your ribs you asked about will probably be a 5-6 hour smoke at 225 degrees. You could do the 3-2-1 method, it is the simplest way to get solid ribs. Basically, rub them down with your chosen (or homemade) spice rub. Throw them on the smoker at 225 for 3 hours. After 3 hours, wrap them in tin foil and put them back on the smoker for 2 hours. After 2 hours, unwrap them and sauce them with whatever sauce you are using and put them back on the smoker until they reach finish temperature. They are finished when you can lift them in the center with a pair of tongs and they flex to the point of nearly breaking, if they fall apart they are actually overcooked but will still taste wonderful. Some ribs can be hard to get a temperature probe between the bones, but if you can get a probe in there I'd say finish temp should be somewhere between 190-195. I hardly ever check the internal temp on ribs, once you get a feel for the flex test I mentioned you won't need to.

I think I covered most of your questions. If not, fire more away. I love my egg and especially love the food that comes out of it. Caution, this is a new lifestyle you are embarking on as it leads to crazy ideas and BBQ conversations you never thought you'd participate in. It leads to strong opinions and arguments about the validity of whether pellet grills are actually smokers. Proceed with caution!

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
What size is your egg? I have the Large Big Green Egg.

Typically, I can get a full 18-20 hour smoke out of a single load of charcoal/wood without needing to add. Only use Natural Hardwood (Chunk) charcoal in your egg. Don't use briquettes, they have chemicals in them that you don't want in your egg or on your food. Wood/Charcoal mix is really up to you. Depending on what I am cooking, I use different mixtures and different woods. That's part of the fun of smoking foods. For your first cook, load up the charcoal and then throw a few chunks of fruit tree wood into the mix. Shy away from Mesquite when cooking pork, it's a little strong for pork.

Temperature control is pretty straightforward. Air inlet on the bottom and air exit on the top. Once your fire is going you adjust the inlet and outlet to maintain your desired cooking temperature. For a low and slow smoke 225-250 is where you want to be. For that, your inlet and outlets will be barely open. Once the Egg heats up, the ceramic holds a ton of heat. You could also get one of these: DigiQ DX3 BBQ Temperature Control Green 6 ft probes It will turn your egg into nearly a set it and forget it type smoker.

Your ribs you asked about will probably be a 5-6 hour smoke at 225 degrees. You could do the 3-2-1 method, it is the simplest way to get solid ribs. Basically, rub them down with your chosen (or homemade) spice rub. Throw them on the smoker at 225 for 3 hours. After 3 hours, wrap them in tin foil and put them back on the smoker for 2 hours. After 2 hours, unwrap them and sauce them with whatever sauce you are using and put them back on the smoker until they reach finish temperature. They are finished when you can lift them in the center with a pair of tongs and they flex to the point of nearly breaking, if they fall apart they are actually overcooked but will still taste wonderful. Some ribs can be hard to get a temperature probe between the bones, but if you can get a probe in there I'd say finish temp should be somewhere between 190-195. I hardly ever check the internal temp on ribs, once you get a feel for the flex test I mentioned you won't need to.

I think I covered most of your questions. If not, fire more away. I love my egg and especially love the food that comes out of it. Caution, this is a new lifestyle you are embarking on as it leads to crazy ideas and BBQ conversations you never thought you'd participate in. It leads to strong opinions and arguments about the validity of whether pellet grills are actually smokers. Proceed with caution!

I’m getting a large like u have.

I’m actually going to get the blower attachment for my ThermoWorks signal setup. Same as what u are talking about. But I also want to know how to use the egg first.

So can u explain the vents to me again. When I’m heating it up both will be open right cause it lets in more o2 so bigger flames. Then when u shut them down it brings temp down cause it’s like putting out a fire right? So I have to find the happy medium?

So for my first go at this load it up with the charcoal. Add 3-4 chunks u think? Do I soak the chunks? Wasn’t sure.

I’m sure I’m going to think of more.

You are on the right track.
So can u explain the vents to me again. When I’m heating it up both will be open right cause it lets in more o2 so bigger flames. Then when u shut them down it brings temp down cause it’s like putting out a fire right? So I have to find the happy medium?

When lighting it, leave the dome open and the lower vent all the way open. I use a torch for lighting, but the blocks should work fine. Light it and let it sit for several minutes (like you're starting a camp fire). Once you have good flame, close the top lid and let it start to warm up. Once you hit 250 degrees or so, put the top on and adjust the holes to mostly open and close the bottom vent to about 1/4 open. It should begin to really bellow out a lot of smoke at this point. Let it settle in from there and make small adjustments until you are holding around 225. From there, very small adjustments are typically needed.

So for my first go at this load it up with the charcoal. Add 3-4 chunks u think? Do I soak the chunks? Wasn’t sure.

3-4 chunks should be sufficient for a 5-6 hour smoke, Apple wood is easy to find in my area, try to find a good fruit wood. I have had great results using cherry wood from a neighbors tree. As for soaking the wood, I have gone both ways, now I typically don't soak it. I usually just disperse them around inside the charcoal then fire it up. There is no harm in soaking them, but if they are soaking wet it takes longer for your fire to get going strong.

Welcome to the egg head life. Once you get it figured out your going to love it. I tend to do my ribs 3-1-1 method. I have found this gives me a little more "pull" when you go to eat them. I think this is a personal preference thing though.

If you are doing baby backs definitely do 3-1-1. Spares and stlouis cut can go either way IMO.

Make sure your using the heat deflector plate "conveggtor" and if you can put a water pan. This helps with moisture retention and collects dripping to prevent "dirty smoke"

When you’re cooking at lower temps, set your vents once the fire is well started, not based on dome temp. If you shut it and adjust your vents down once it reads above 200, it will rise to 300-400 and be a PITA to get down. Smoking range should be a sliver open on the bottom (1/4”, maybe) and daisy wheel large hole closed, small holes 1/2 open.

There are a number of ways to start the egg, try a few things and see what works for you. Electric coil starter, Looft Lighter, parafin cubes, chimney are all acceptable. Just no lighter fluid.

Personally, I don’t like 3-2-1 ribs, somewhat of an unpopular opinion. They steam and turn to mush. Prefer a dry 3-4 smoke. Chunked smoke wood works well in the egg. No need to soak anything, just blend it into the charcoal as your loading it.

Oh boy guys! Ok I think I got it down till I actually get it in my hands. It’s coming Wednesday now. Maybe Thursday I’ll mess with a fire to play with the vents if it rains and I can’t get in the yard.

Ok more questions. Drip pans. I did get egg indirect cooking thing. Should I be using the egg drip pans all the time?

Also when I do smoke how big of a drip pan with water? As big as I can fit in or a small one?

other question. for u guys using probes and grill grate temp monitors. the wire? what do you all do with it? wrap it in tinfoil and close the lid on it? does that mess up the gasket? just wondering. my weber grill has a small pas through for the wire with tinfoil around i to protect it which works well but again the weber is a whole diff animal where precise temp isn't a huge deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh boy guys! Ok I think I got it down till I actually get it in my hands. It’s coming Wednesday now. Maybe Thursday I’ll mess with a fire to play with the vents if it rains and I can’t get in the yard.

Ok more questions. Drip pans. I did get egg indirect cooking thing. Should I be using the egg drip pans all the time?

Also when I do smoke how big of a drip pan with water? As big as I can fit in or a small one?
I use the disposable half sheet pans from sams club. They fit nice and hold enough water for a full brisket cook. And they are really cheap.

other question. for u guys using probes and grill grate temp monitors. the wire? what do you all do with it? wrap it in tinfoil and close the lid on it? does that mess up the gasket? just wondering. my weber grill has a small pas through for the wire with tinfoil around i to protect it which works well but again the weber is a whole diff animal where precise temp isn't a huge deal.
No need for the foil. The seal needs to be replaced about once a year anyway. Just let it go right through.

If you have some extra money check out the Flameboss. It makes it way easier to do the 18+ hour cooks. I love it, it makes it to where I can cook a pork but while I'm at work and it will turn out perfectly Everytime.

also. . . bottom vent. when u guys say 1/4 open you talking screen and door or just door? can you all explain that a bit more to me?
The thing you will find out with this is every fire is a little different. For low and slow cooks I usually have probably an eighth to a quarter inch open on the top vent. And probably the same on the bottom. I usually ignore the screen door. Maybe I shouldn't but I get enough temp control with just an opening.

If your getting a new egg you will probably be getting the new cap instead of the old Daisy wheel. I just upgraded to it and I love it. If your cooking in an uncovered area they sell a rain cover for the new cap. I haven't got one yet but I saw that at butcher shop locally here.

I promise it's super easy to drive one of these. Just remember if the temp runs away it takes a long time to get back down.

also. . . bottom vent. when u guys say 1/4 open you talking screen and door or just door? can you all explain that a bit more to me?
Screen should always be closed when cooking, so the solid piece 1/4” open.

Thermometers - find probes with metal braided wires. Much more durable for leaving in.

Drip pans aren’t necessary. Might be preferred by some people, but the beauty of the ceramic is that if it gets dirty from drippings, you can flip it over and burn it off. It will look brand new. Also, the egg is designed to cook with convection (when using the “conveggtor/plate setter”. That, coupled with its unique ability to hold a range of temps with minimal air flow and no flare ups, you really don’t need added moisture.

Best advice is to get comfortable with managing the temps (vent configuration). Think of it like steering a ship, ceramic holds a ton of heat so it’s slow to react. Likewise, you it’s a different cooking experience when you let it warm up for a half hour vs starting a roaring fire, checking the dome temp, and throwing food on. As someone else said, those are different fires.

No need to wrap in anything most of the temp probes are heat resistant. Also the egg has a felt gasket that will sandwich the probe wires well enough.

Keep the screen always closed and the door opens to decide how much air to allow in. If you are going to do long cooks, like smoking something I second getting a controller like the flameboss. It will have a fan that goes on lower door to circulate air when necessary.

ya ya i saw i will have the new top for control. i'm under cover so i'm all good. i have a commercial hood with dual blowers also so hopefully i keep the smoke under control.

i have signals. they are all braided lines so i'm good.

i'm buying billows which pretty much makes it a flame boss. i'm in that thermoworks camp. i swear by their stuff. my thermopen is like 12 years old and still accurate all the time.

i want to learn how to use the egg and control the temp and be able to know it in and out before i use the billows so i don't rely just on that. you know what i mean.

tomorrow baby! i was talking to my buddy today on how he does his rib in his smoker so over the weekend i'm going to play!

thanks so much guys! i'll hit you all back with questions and some pics of how good or most likely bad this goes. lol

So just a couple of things.

When the egg is new (and just after you do a deep clean) it tends to run a little hot.

Nothing wrong with running the egg manually so you get a feel for it. That’s actually important. The only time I use the temp controller is when I am doing something overnight. I need to keep it low and I am not awake to monitor it so there is a risk of the egg going out.

Also for fun learn to monitor the temp at different places in the egg. Clip the probe to the grate one time. Then clip it to the dome thermometer. Depending on the size of your probes you might be able to stick one in instead of the dome thermometer.

Play with it and have fun. Like a pool every egg has its own personality.

Well egg is here. Problem is they couldn’t get the lid to stay open. No idea what is going on. The guy is coming back with another guy tomorrow from the place. I have no idea. It seems like it should be pretty easy. So tomorrow is another day. It’s always something. I was up to my nose in plants tonight so I didn’t even bother asking anything. I have 80 some plants that need to get in the ground.

1. Egg is up and done. The kids isn’t perfectly lined up it’s like 1/8 inch off but seals and the egg emblem isn’t totally straight. Am I being picky?

2. Do I have enough lump in there? Not too much right? Enough wood chunks? I’m didn’t have a lot so the pieces are small. Should I add more?

3. my indirect cooker is setup right? I am going to use a water bath. Is it a big enough pan. All they had.

4. When I light u guys said bottom 1/4 open. What about top. Wide open or half or what?

5. So I light it and keep lid open for say 15mins. Then close lip and keep bottom 1/4 way open or close it down even more and only sliver on top so it doesn’t get hot too quick. Better to aim low right?

EE9CF570-016E-4923-A73A-0AD2D28C833D.jpeg26D8331F-6777-4412-8CC7-B6193A45157F.jpeg5F464CEA-99C0-4CC0-ABAF-6C9C261A2255.jpeg
for lighting right? Do I close down on it more to keep low temp u think? I know they r all diff. Just want to get ideas. Below picture too open for getting up to temp right. I should beclosed down like pic below that one right?

CC13DC00-274A-4526-872C-E58EC507F1BB.jpeg
CD3D6D4B-7DFD-4C10-8C96-D359B0745FB5.jpegAB1DCD59-9FF4-4E84-8A6B-43AFB1B70AEA.jpegA42D1DB8-DB3F-42DD-8EEE-85CA6A474639.jpeg
see how kid is a bit off. Should I call them? They can spin it right? This is bothering me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.