New Deck - Contractor can't figure out how to install given pool design

GenericHbomb

Oct 3, 2015
Rochester, NY
I've had an old wood deck on my pool since I bought the house and finally wanted to upgrade to a new and larger pool surround. For my needs and wants, looking to do a concrete deck.

I met with contractor, who I know as he does all the concrete contracting for a company I work for. Walked through it and I tore the old wood deck out. Come to find out the pool is a wooden structure pool (in NY). The surround of the pool under the old wood deck is backfilled sand with wood supports.

Contractor says he has never seen a wood structure pool, I guess they are not common in NY?

Either way, he has run in to an issue he says he is unsure of what to do. Basically the wood walls of the pool come up and are attached to 4x4s spaced around the perimeter. On top of the 4x4s sits a plank. Atop that plank sits the aluminum coping (2" tall). His concern being that when he pours, due to the plank and 2" coping, the concrete will have poor support and do short size of coping, will only have 2" of concrete to the pool edge. Concern is cracking of the concrete.

For reference, the pool sits slightly elevated above the grading of the yard (inground pool).

Has anyone heard of this, or seen this before or have ideas on a solution?

Attachments

• 20210505_194617.jpg
    20210505_194617.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210505_194645.jpg
    20210505_194645.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 138
That looks crazy. are the walls entirely wood or did they just use wood to back fill? Is the coping actually attached to the wood?

The walls appear to be entirely wood. I dug about a 6" and all I see is wood. Its possible it changea to metal further down but without being able to see behind the liner, I am unsure.

The coping is nailed to the wood in some places and appears to be main form of attachment.

Unless I am missing something. I havent pulled anything further to risk disturbing structure of pool.

I have a friend that installs wooden walled in ground pools, I will check with him as to your best solution.
But keep in mind that he is super busy right now, and it might be a couple of days until he gets back to me.

Hey Hbomb !!! This is *anything* but generic. :ROFLMAO:

wooden pools are definitely a thing, just not all that common anymore. In the past they were usually DIY jobs to save money. When done right they can last the same 30+ years as a steel walled pool.

Let’s page @jimmythegreek for his thoughts.

Thanks for the help guys! Pool structure all in all is sound I believe, from what I can. The coping boards could probably use bonding with fresh board or otherwise.

My best thought at this point in time is to pour up to the board the coping sits on and then secure the coping to pavers.

I would be worried about paying to install a permanent deck around a pool that won’t be. It has some life left but it’s also used plenty of its life. When the time comes to replace it they will have to tear up the new deck.

Id do wood but with how expensive lumber is right now I could probably put in two concrete decks for the price of a lumber deck
Lol. I’ve been saying that they moved lumber to the precious metals index and it is trading at $1500 an ounce. :ROFLMAO:

one thing to think over with trex is that it gets very hot and also very slippery when wet. The non absorbent material won’t absorb rain or splash out. We used it for my front door deck and if the kids used spray sunscreen it might have well been like spraying WD40 on ice it became so slippery.

And the trex is probably just as marked up right now because it’s a better option for a regular deck in the first place. If it’s no longer much more expensive than lumber and it’s a better product in the first place for most decks, it’s supply will tank and juice the prices just as much.

Food for thought.

• Wow
Reactions: Snoobug
Trex didn't go up much, wood is out of control. I dont throw away my form boards anymore. I have seen a few wooden pools, my neighbor has one. Can you post some better pics of the coping area. If I understand correctly the concrete up to the coping will be thin where it meets the coping board and thats the issue?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.