New CYA level guidelines?

Hi to all;

Had very knowledgeable pool person to look at some cosmetic issues recently and asked how I chlorinated the pool. The answer was, of course, liquid chlorine. Also, I told him that I tried to keep CYA at 30-50 ppm. He indicated that there were new guidelines stating that one should keep CYA levels at 12-15 ppm. Not sure how I could even test for that level, perhaps he was talking about commercial pools. Any info out there?

Best,

Gary R.

Gary,

I assume your pool has been working well since 2012, so why would you care what he said?

I'm sure that he is thinking of public pools, as residential pools are pretty much unregulated.

My thought is... If it is working, don't screw with it.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pool professionals say the darnedest things.

There's no accurate way to measure CYA at that level or that precision outside of a lab. Also there's no way any "guideline" has a 3 ppm range for anything other than chlorine. Doesn't matter if he is talking about public pools or not, what he is saying is nonsense.

In the industry there have been some rumbling about it maybe best for users to maintain a lower CYA level. I’ve seen it in a few online magazines, and their logic is getting better, but still misses the mark.

More and more the industry is seeing the truth behind the FC/CYA ratio. At the same time they’re trying to “save face” and continue to suggest users maintain a FC level of 1-3 as that’s what the EPA says is safe. So how can you follow the ratio while also keeping your FC below 3? You lower the CYA.

Now granted, this isn’t something we’d suggest doing as there are many benefits of a CYA level of 30-50 for liquid chlorine pools, but rather than just saying “trust us” I’d like to explain what I’ve seen that could be the backbone of the advice they told you.

Or they could have just made that up. I’ll never know. 😂

Yes, this person said, oh well, they keep changing the guidelines so it's hard to know what's scientifically correct. For me, what I'm doing now works but it would be nice to use less chlorine. Currently about 45-60 oz of 12% daily.

Thank you!
Well your FC requirements would be lower, but since your CYA would be lower your chlorine demand would be higher, wouldn't it?
I lose 2-3 a day with CYA 40-50. If I was running CYA at 15 I figure that my FC would probably drop 3-4 a day (in the heat of summer anyway). So I don't see how that would decrease your chlorine usage at all, just your minimum FC.

Am I wrong?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.