New Cover Questions

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Just got a solar cover and hoping I can get a few questions answered.

- Should I cut it to exact size. The cover as a bit long and wide. Should I trim it to fit the water line exactly or not trim it at all or something else?

- I assume it’s okay to run the pump with the cover on.

- When I roll the cover up, I’m presuming that all the dirt will go into the pool. Is there some way for this not to happen or is it just the nature of the beast?

Anything else I should consider about using the cover? My main goal is just to retain heat overnight when I use the heater to heat the pool. Given our weather, that (using the heater) will start soon. Right now, I’m still getting water temp into the 80’s naturally.

Thanks.

I cut mine to fit the pool and most do, it should lay directly on the water.... 1 or 2 inches on the side not covered is fine...

I run the pump with it on all the time, running the pump during the day will heat the water better and turn the pump off at night...

Most of the dirt will stay on the cover but some will get in the pool, no issues..

I use a paint drop cloth to protect the cover when it is not on the pool as the sun will heat the cover up and start to take life out of the cover.. You will know its life is at the end when you see hundreds of little dots coming off the cover and be in the pool...

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: pb4uswim
So I cut the cover and it’s looking pretty good, but have another question. There are wrinkles which I know will relax in time, but how concerned should I be about any part of the cover not touching the water (laying flat). Is it a do the best you can thing, or is it a work to get it very flat type of thing. The only thing I’m thinking is that if sun degrades the cover, wouldn’t having air pockets (wrinkles) speed up the degradation process, much like not covering the cover while it’s on the roller? Or, is one layer, sitting near the water not the same.

I had a big cover and it had big air pockets. Baddog just beat me above while typing. I used my brush to work them all to the outside also

I'm talking big air pockets. 12 ft long and 2 foot wide. And 100 smaller ones. The wrinkles will settle and stretch out. Give it a few hot days

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.