New Construction (fiberglass) - Chicago, city proper

🙄
Sounds more like the Mason is 3 weeks out.. :) 21 days is the average time for concrete to reach its fully rated strength. I am sure they could set those after 7 days. How much more stress could laying the bluestone on the concrete create as opposed to driving the delivery buggy over it... 🤔

Those valves are just plane cheap. Over time they will get hard to operate and eventually fail and need to be cut out and replaced. Any PB worth there salt would use the rebuildable. I am sure for what you are paying for this pool you deserve better..

Unfortunately, that type of set up does seem to be common. Unfortunately unless they use a licensed plumber and bring a water line out of the house and install a backflow preventer, there really is not a elegant way to hook up to a spigot. They could have made it look a little better and not zip tied to the gutter pipe...
Those are cheap valves commonly used for irrigation systems.

If you are planning on buying your outdoor furniture at RH, be sure to find reviews for what you want or consider avoiding. There have been MANY complaints of their outdoor selections not holding up to the outdoors! Yes, it is teak, but there is teak, and then there is teak, grade matters. After reading many complaints, I got mine at front gate. After spending well north of $10,000.00, I am less than impressed with the quality of teak they use.

I agree. U are paying a huge up charge for RH. I know because my moms cousin used to manufacture metal Furniture for them. I used to love to see his cost to what he sold it to them for and then what they sold it to me for. It was amusing. A lot of thier stuff is nice. We have 6 lanterns that are 12 years old and look new still.
Outdoor furniture is rough. U guys get snow like us so winter storage is vital. Summer protection is also so important. All our stuff has covers from plow and hearth on them. It has helped. Not my wife didn’t go crazy for stuff out in elements. More was spent on the stuff under cover in pool house.

Reactions: crimson avenger
They've told us 3 weeks to cure since the very beginning, so I'm not sure it's a mason issue. At this point I'm happy to wait.
Unfortunately there was no way to get the stone over on the other side of the pool without driving like they did. We have major constraints in our yard - our lot is only 24.75' wide!

How much are we going to be using the valves?
At this point we've been very happy with how the PB has handled things. Is this something that warrants change? How would you approach the PB about this?

Mark
U want never lube valve. They r cheap for him to give u even in his end. If not cost to u should be minimal.

I have just started to look into this myself. EasyTouch is the older Pentair system, IntelliCenter is the newer system that came out ~2018. So it seems that many say to go ahead and use IntelliCenter for new installs, but I have no firsthand experience.

I have an easytouch. Mine was installed right before the new system came out. Mine serves its purpose perfectly. If the new system was out when I built I would have used the new one cause I’m a geek bit easytouch with screenlogic does what it needs to do well.

i dont know how i missed this build until today. thanks for sharing this with us. taking the back wall out of the garage would have the last solution i would have thought of, but likely the best solution. the house and pool look very nice.

Thanks. In learning about other pool builds through this forum and other Facebook groups I have realized our PB seems pretty good and is quite creative.

I have an easytouch. Mine was installed right before the new system came out. Mine serves its purpose perfectly. If the new system was out when I built I would have used the new one cause I’m a geek bit easytouch with screenlogic does what it needs to do well.

Thanks. We don’t have too many crazy frills. Just 4 deck jets, 3 lights, the 2 pumps and an SWG. So I think it should be fine for us.

I agree. U are paying a huge up charge for RH. I know because my moms cousin used to manufacture metal Furniture for them. I used to love to see his cost to what he sold it to them for and then what they sold it to me for. It was amusing. A lot of thier stuff is nice. We have 6 lanterns that are 12 years old and look new still.
Outdoor furniture is rough. U guys get snow like us so winter storage is vital. Summer protection is also so important. All our stuff has covers from plow and hearth on them. It has helped. Not my wife didn’t go crazy for stuff out in elements. More was spent on the stuff under cover in pool house.

Thanks for the comment. We are fairly picky when it comes to style and the Restoration Hardware line we want is pretty unique. We have a very modern and aesthetic. We are planning on buying covers to cover everything. I realize it is expensive but we are OK spending the money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I didn’t get much of a reply from the builder. He said that these are the valves that they always use. Not sure if I’m going to push on this one. My partner is saying to leave it be, as we think they’re doing an overall good job...

Well, I didn’t get much of a reply from the builder. He said that these are the valves that they always use. Not sure if I’m going to push on this one. My partner is saying to leave it be, as we think they’re doing an overall good job...
I'd leave it at this point. It works and I'd personally only cut the pipe again when it's absolutely needed. On the furniture, I've been very happy with the stuff I've purchased from Frontgate if you're looking for another option. I've had a daybed that's on its 5th year and it looks brand new (we always buy their floats too).
It's a beautiful! How awesome to have a pool right in the city! I assumed, when i first started reading, that you were in the burbs of Chicago. Such a nice setup. Best of luck with it :)

So, a couple of teak furniture recommendations.

Country Casual is local here and I have some of their stuff - older. It's very expensive but good quality, it's all self-branded.

I just bought loungers, a new coffee table and a square umbrella from AuthenTEAK in Atlanta. Very nice folks, nice stuff high-end stuff for (with sales, watch out for them) a good price.

If you are planning on buying your outdoor furniture at RH, be sure to find reviews for what you want or consider avoiding. There have been MANY complaints of their outdoor selections not holding up to the outdoors! Yes, it is teak, but there is teak, and then there is teak, grade matters. After reading many complaints, I got mine at front gate. After spending well north of $10,000.00, I am less than impressed with the quality of teak they use.

Last edited:
6/10/2020 update: Electriciabn ran electric from house to pad - states that 22.5 feet is actually not the vertical distance but direct (as bird flies) to water's edge. As such, can have lower vertical height. Installed 3 inch conduit, and have the line secured directly to the pipe (this is why he needs to go from 2 to 3 inch pipe). Will bring up to soffit and then take 90 degree toward property line. ComEd will then bring cable closer to the property line (from the alley side) at future date.
IMG_3431.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.