New Construction (fiberglass) - Chicago, city proper

6/2/2020 update:
  • Track for automatic pool cover added
  • Sub base for natural stone pool patio poured - used concrete collar with rebar dowels anchored into fiberglass shell in many places
  • Equipment pad poured
It’s really coming together. I couldn’t be happier with how this is starting to look.
Hopefully equipment sometime in the next week, then pool to be up and running while we wait for the house and pool patios to cure. Then the blue select thermal bluestone pavers!

I hope I haven’t completely bored the forum with my posts... it seems quiet out there!

Mark

D48B52AF-5090-4831-B269-FE4852D2F36A.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! I am maintaining this thread to help other people through their pool building process. Also I wanted to keep it as some sort of documentation of our experience.

6/5/2020 update: dropped off natural stone. This will be installed after the concrete has been cured for 3 weeks.

Remaining details: install equipment, run electric through conduit to equipment pad.

6/6/2020 and 6/7/2020: my partner and stained the north side of our fence black. Our pup thoroughly enjoyed being outside with us this past weekend. Sunny and low 70s in Chicago all weekend. Was simply amazing.
Starting to look at patio furniture and loungers. Since we have a small pool deck will go with 2 loungers. Also think we are going to do all teak. So we’re going to splurge. We have a very modern aesthetic and are looking at RH this weekend. Attaching pics of the furniture we have narrowed down to.

E1DD3BA4-6D73-4297-84B0-7B9D382E357C.jpegACD6B7FA-6D0E-47B6-BAED-C5119AFBA6A8.jpeg19FF52F3-BAB5-49BD-934F-D080C341019D.png

6/9/2020 update:

Equipment pad being worked on. Attaching a pic. Everything look in order here? They aren’t done yet... obviously they still have to install the heater, filter, SWG...363B131D-2055-4C92-9801-406725DC0425.jpeg90B71D3E-1C54-4A6F-8DEE-68E6A13CDC80.jpeg28947FC9-242A-46B6-85E3-1673E2F59A6A.jpeg
One thing I am curious about is the automatic pool filler. Not impressed with this setup. The blue/black hosing attached to our spigot is their permanent solution. Is this customary? (Ignore the timer/hose to the right of the bifurcation, that’s our garden hose).
9FE5E747-2E5C-45B0-92BC-ACF65396D568.jpeg

Attachments

• 674DD4A1-C748-455C-A159-476DE9E08408.jpeg
    674DD4A1-C748-455C-A159-476DE9E08408.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 8
6/5/2020 update: dropped off natural stone. This will be installed after the concrete has been cured for 3 weeks.
🙄
Sounds more like the Mason is 3 weeks out.. :) 21 days is the average time for concrete to reach its fully rated strength. I am sure they could set those after 7 days. How much more stress could laying the bluestone on the concrete create as opposed to driving the delivery buggy over it... 🤔

Equipment pad being worked on. Attaching a pic. Everything look in order here?
Those valves are just plane cheap. Over time they will get hard to operate and eventually fail and need to be cut out and replaced. Any PB worth there salt would use the rebuildable. I am sure for what you are paying for this pool you deserve better..

One thing I am curious about is the automatic pool filler.
Unfortunately, that type of set up does seem to be common. Unfortunately unless they use a licensed plumber and bring a water line out of the house and install a backflow preventer, there really is not a elegant way to hook up to a spigot. They could have made it look a little better and not zip tied to the gutter pipe...

If you are planning on buying your outdoor furniture at RH, be sure to find reviews for what you want or consider avoiding. There have been MANY complaints of their outdoor selections not holding up to the outdoors! Yes, it is teak, but there is teak, and then there is teak, grade matters. After reading many complaints, I got mine at front gate. After spending well north of $10,000.00, I am less than impressed with the quality of teak they use.

Reactions: crimson avenger

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are planning on buying your outdoor furniture at RH, be sure to find reviews for what you want or consider avoiding. There have been MANY complaints of their outdoor selections not holding up to the outdoors! Yes, it is teak, but there is teak, and then there is teak, grade matters. After reading many complaints, I got mine at front gate. After spending well north of $10,000.00, I am less than impressed with the quality of teak they use.

Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely keep that in mind!

🙄
Sounds more like the Mason is 3 weeks out.. :) 21 days is the average time for concrete to reach its fully rated strength. I am sure they could set those after 7 days. How much more stress could laying the bluestone on the concrete create as opposed to driving the delivery buggy over it... 🤔
They've told us 3 weeks to cure since the very beginning, so I'm not sure it's a mason issue. At this point I'm happy to wait.
Unfortunately there was no way to get the stone over on the other side of the pool without driving like they did. We have major constraints in our yard - our lot is only 24.75' wide!

Those valves are just plane cheap. Over time they will get hard to operate and eventually fail and need to be cut out and replaced. Any PB worth there salt would use the rebuildable. I am sure for what you are paying for this pool you deserve better..

How much are we going to be using the valves?
At this point we've been very happy with how the PB has handled things. Is this something that warrants change? How would you approach the PB about this?

Mark

Where does that fit in the scale of bad to good? I have to admit I didn’t research this aspect properly before signing our contract.
I have just started to look into this myself. EasyTouch is the older Pentair system, IntelliCenter is the newer system that came out ~2018. So it seems that many say to go ahead and use IntelliCenter for new installs, but I have no firsthand experience.

Reactions: crimson avenger

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support