New Construction (fiberglass) - Chicago, city proper

How high did the water get outside the pool and how fast is it going down?

There is only a couple of inches of water outside the pool. It’s gone down about an inch or so in the last 24 hours. Attached pic below is how it looked at its worst.

Not sure if you can tell by looking at this pic F8924857-86B8-4C81-8F5F-D893B8A1A576.jpeg

5/4/2020 update:

Crew came to complete backfill. One of the unique aspects of our location in Chicago proper is access to our yard. We have a very large yard by city standards, but access to it requires two turns in a tight alley. As you can see we had to cut a hole in the garage for the excavation equipment. A total of 17 small truck-loads had to be trucked in (we did not get charged extra)! The pool remained in place and level throughout the process. They used 2x4s to get stone packed under the stairs and steps.

44B25DFB-24FB-4180-B647-99CBA95DCDEC.jpeg
The pool isn’t filled all the way. I assume this is because they haven’t installed the pool lights into their niches and the water line is above the niche at this point due to major rains last week. I have that concern out to our PB but haven’t heard back yet.
Finally looks like we are making some big progress though!

Other notes: wall whale nylon brush and skimmer came! Also we signed our change order for adding natural stone for our patio (bluestone) and mortaring in the patio as well as our remote control system.

Last edited:
Looking good.. Make sure they run a conduit from the sump to the pool pad and cap and lable it. Probably never need it but it is very cheap insurance to do now.

They are going to keep the sump accessible at the pool patio where you see it. They are going to cut some stone as a lid. Not aesthetically the most pleasing option but effective.

5/5/2020 update:
More excavation, stone trucked in for the house patio. Thought you’d enjoy a pic with a different perspective!
F1BF7C58-B322-420D-A699-D253C8FA0F8B.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
5/8/2020 update

Crew has not been here since Tuesday.
Maybe I am paranoid because I’m looking at this pool too much, but after voicing my concerns twice during the day of backfilling I feel like there is going to be a case of I told you so to my builder.
As you can see the water level is at the bench. It is not at the level of the backfill which is what I would expect. Shouldn’t The pool have been filled at the same rate as the backfill? Now because it is such a small pool and so many right angles, I was told that the pool should be strong enough such that no bowing should take place.

I am now noticing a slight inward bowing of the fiberglass pool shell along the long side. Lo and behold, at the corners it measures 158 cm, and at the middle it measures 160 cm from the sidewalk.

It could have been there before backfilling. I can’t be sure.

Hoping this does not cause a permanent problem. Any chance the pool will straighten out a little bit with water filling? Am I ever going to notice this 2 cm (3/4”) difference once coping is added? Coping will extend 1.5” into the pool.

Awaiting a reply from our PB...

How would you handle this?

3109F5D7-6B38-4260-BB18-C1D6194EAF4E.jpeg

Last edited:
You really can't get a good measurement off of the concrete walk. The walk itself could have a bow in it. I would measure directly across to the other side of the pool in the same places. If you had some help you could also just stretch the string all the way down each side of the pool to confirm it has a bow in it.

Reactions: vsman and Shirker
You really can't get a good measurement off of the concrete walk. The walk itself could have a bow in it. I would measure directly across to the other side of the pool in the same places. If you had some help you could also just stretch the string all the way down each side of the pool to confirm it has a bow in it.

Measuring the way you recommended, the sides are 1” closer in the middle.

Did the string test. Looks a bit less obvious with the string (1 cm on one side, less on the other) which reassured me. I’m sure my measurement tools have a degree of error associated with them, which might explain why the math doesn’t add up.

I also just realized that the pool builder has sent a bobcat to and fro between the sidewalk and pool in order to further prepare the area closest to the house for a patio. I’m guessing that the stone got further compacted. That may have caused the bulge.

Last edited:
Are you able to check both of the sides with either a string or a long straight edge you might have around? If they are both bowed slightly then you have approximately a half inch deflection in each side correct?
I really don't have any hard numbers of what tolerances those pools are shipped with or what tolerances need to be maintained during installation but a half an inch in that short of a run would certainly be on the outside edge of my comfort zone. Perhaps @jimmythegreek would have some better information in that department. You could also contact the pool manufacturer to get these specifications as well.

Are you able to check both of the sides with either a string or a long straight edge you might have around? If they are both bowed slightly then you have approximately a half inch deflection in each side correct?
I really don't have any hard numbers of what tolerances those pools are shipped with or what tolerances need to be maintained during installation but a half an inch in that short of a run would certainly be on the outside edge of my comfort zone. Perhaps @jimmythegreek would have some better information in that department. You could also contact the pool manufacturer to get these specifications as well.

Sorry, I edited in the answers to your questions above but must’ve been typing at the same time that you were reading.

Did the string test. Looks a bit less obvious with the string (1 cm on one side, less on the other) which reassured me. I’m sure my measurement tools have a degree of error associated with them, which might explain why the math doesn’t add up.

I also just realized that the pool builder has sent a bobcat to and fro between the sidewalk and pool in order to further prepare the area closest to the house for a patio. I’m guessing that the stone got further compacted. That may have caused the bulge.

Well that sounds a little better. It doesn't look like you have any real hard lines to measure to so there is an inaccuracy there as well. The string and your eye are the best way to test for the bulge. I assume the larger bulge is on the side he drove the bobcat down? That probably wasn't the best idea without much water in the pool.

Well that sounds a little better. It doesn't look like you have any real hard lines to measure to so there is an inaccuracy there as well. The string and your eye are the best way to test for the bulge. I assume the larger bulge is on the side he drove the bobcat down? That probably wasn't the best idea without much water in the pool.
Agreed, probably wasn’t the best idea. Yes the side with the slightly larger bulge is the side they drove the bobcat down.
I’m hoping nothing will be noticed once water further filled and coping is installed? Or is that an unrealistic expectation? How should I approach this with the builder, beyond making him aware (if anything)?

Agreed, probably wasn’t the best idea

They should have at least put down some plywood to disperse the load..

I’m hoping nothing will be noticed once water further filled and coping is installed? Or is that an unrealistic expectation?

Very hard to say if the water will push back at all but I find it doubtful. I would say it will be less noticeable with coping installed. You might pick up on the difference in the overhang if you are really looking for it.You would probably be the only one to ever notice it.
How should I approach this with the builder, beyond making him aware (if anything)?

Hopefully Jimmy will chime in with his thoughts, but I would certainly make him aware of it and ask the specific question if it will affect the pool warranty at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support