New Construction: Cathedral City CA

Thanks for the translation :)

Regarding the tile issue at the bottom of the pool and the steps, I expressed my concern to the sales rep that redoing the tile and the patching of the pebble would most likely look worse than the tile in it's current state. He agreed and it looks like he is giving us a $1000 credit towards tiling the exterior walls of the spa instead of the stucco finish.

However ... there are many areas at the deep ends of the pool that are stained with darken blotches, which I assume is due to the sand that was in the pool the morning of the acid wash and fill.

Will draining the pool and acid washing it take these stains away?

IMG_2051 LR.jpgIMG_2054-LR.jpgIMG_2174.jpg

Congrat's on the grand. Great solution. Hopefully everyone is happy.

Oh boy, acid washing... I don't have another two-pager in me tonight! (I can hear you saying "Whew!")

This is my understanding of this topic, based on my experience. Others here may not agree:

Acid washing works by removing a layer of your pool and taking stains with it. It doesn't magically affect the stains and leave everything else alone. Which means that acid washing, by its very nature, reduces the life of your finish (because it reduces the amount of your finish). Acid washing destroyed my plaster because it was mis-applied. Acid washing was not even necessary for my pool and the problem could have been better solved. I will never allow another acid wash of my pool for all of those reasons. So I am the wrong guy to ask, as I am very much anti-acid-wash. Whatever stains or blemishes that develop in my pool from my lack of diligence for its care, or the nature of the materials, or acts of nature, I will just live with. Acid washing is not worth the risk, nor the longevity it costs (to me).

Some of which is proven by your pool's first acid wash. They acid washed your new pebble to burn off the plaster that they couldn't easily work enough to reveal pebble. The acid wash "fine tuned" the level of your plaster in relationship to the level of your pebbles. They have to do that just right, to reveal just enough pebble, but not so much that the pebble is "just hangin' on," so to speak.

I'm in another thread where a recent acid wash has loosened pebble, which is now falling out. I'm betting it's because the acid took the surrounding plaster too low (it's plaster that holds the pebbles in place).

Sure you want another acid wash? Others here will have a different take on it, no doubt.

Your stains are most likely due to the startup procedure, the water balance, the sand, what looked to be the start of an algae bloom (from the pic's), or the frequency of brushing. Some combination, no doubt. I'm not the one to advise you on the solution. I just know if there are options, including doing nothing, I'd put acid on the bottom of the list...

:( My bet is the stains are from the poor clean up and start up the pool had or did not have. Dirk is right about the acid wash doing some harm to the longevity of the plaster. I am somewhat hopeful that having the correct amount of FC in the pool and regular brushing the stains will fade so they are not as noticeable in time.

What I would do is get and keep the FC at the top of the recommended level for your CYA for a while and see what that does. Pics will be the way to go as your eyes will not notice the difference day to day. Make sure to brush every day adding some extra time in those areas.

Kim:kim:

When they applied the pebble was there sand still in the pool? I remember you saying they got a lot out but if any were left in, it would have been embedded in the pebble mix. I really hope this isn’t the case. What a stuff around.

Hi Riley00dog, My recollection that there was no winds/sand prior to the plaster/pebble going down. Here is a photo of what it looked like about an hour after they left after blowing the plaster in. I think as the day progressed and the plaster dried the slight variations evened out.

IMG_2044 LR.jpg

Morning all, and thanks for your input on the acid wash. My gut was telling me once again to … ”let it go”. I read some threads on TFP about acid washing, and has leaning (heavily) leaning against it. This is one more thing I will bring up when my final payment is due to use as collateral for reductions.

ONE MORE thing on my list is the spillways. There are three of them. When the first fired them up I pointed out that one of them was barely spilling any water. A bit later they said they adjusted it.

I know understand that they just increased the speed of the pump (temporarily), but when they programed it to come on everyday for 12 hours, they reduced it back down.

Is this fixable by:
Breaking that tile out and replacing it slightly lower?
Just run the pump at a higher speed (for shorter periods of time)

Is this another thing I should let go of?

Spilway LR.jpg

Dag nabit! It just keeps piling on, doesn't it? Builder error... bummer, those tiles need to be perfectly level, of course!

Boy I hate the idea of chipping out that tile, but that could fix it, if they do it well. You shouldn't have to deal with that with pump speed, that's lame. The "falls" should be perfect at any flow.

Never had to deal with this... but that's never stopped me before!!! I wonder if you could fix this with a bead of something across the other two? Or, create three little dams across the the tiles somewhere (back, middle, front? You'd have to experiment.), on all three openings. Then alter the height of the dams to create a perfectly level edge? Some sort of plastic or resin that you could sand/grind down. Something pool-proof, like PVC. Then epoxy them into place? It'd change the height of the spa water by some small amount. I'd measure to get 'em close, glue them in. Then test. Then you could file them down, in place, to fine tune them, if you had to. Not a whole lot less lame than goosing the pump, but you could fix this without risking the tile and all that could ensue from doing it that way, including not getting it perfect and having to repeat the process.

I don't know, just brain storming...

And no, this one I wouldn't let go. This isn't like squaring up tile on the floor of your pool, where the average person wouldn't notice one way or the other. Those falls are the centerpiece of your pool and there's no excuse for them not to be perfect. Unless you're OK with boosting the pump and the resulting increase in energy and pump wear and tear that'll cost ya. With your ET, ScreenLogic and VS pump, it would be nice to be able to dial in the flow to suit your mood: full on for a party, down to a tranquil trickle when you're out there just chillin' and snoozin'... Personally, I wouldn't want to give up that nicety to cover the PB's mistake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Morning all, and thanks for your input on the acid wash. My gut was telling me once again to … ”let it go”. I read some threads on TFP about acid washing, and has leaning (heavily) leaning against it. This is one more thing I will bring up when my final payment is due to use as collateral for reductions.

ONE MORE thing on my list is the spillways. There are three of them. When the first fired them up I pointed out that one of them was barely spilling any water. A bit later they said they adjusted it.

I know understand that they just increased the speed of the pump (temporarily), but when they programed it to come on everyday for 12 hours, they reduced it back down.

Is this fixable by:
Breaking that tile out and replacing it slightly lower?
Just run the pump at a higher speed (for shorter periods of time)

Is this another thing I should let go of?

View attachment 75062

I hate seeing 3 waterfalls in unison that should be synchronized that all run different flows. The correct way to do this would be that each waterfall has its own valve. I barely ever see that. I would even pay the couple hundred extra for 3 separate runs and valves. Lazy workmanship.

.. will this ever stop ?:). Since I wrote about the spillway issue this morning, a crew showed up unannounced to put the patio cover up - so I have been dealing with that, in between completing my water tests. I'll focus on the spillway another day.

Ok so I missed a day of testing, I blame it on doing our taxes (that got submitted this morning. (Dirk, I think I hear what you want to say about missing a day)

Here is where we are at this morning. The pool guy is scheduled tomorrow evening - not sure if any of these numbers is critical to treat today (and assume that his test strip thingy will not advise him to add the 4 chemicals Pool Math suggests)

FC - 2.5 Pool Math says to add 19 oz of 10% bleach

PH - 7.8 Pool Math says to add 8.9 oz (by volume) or 22oz (by weight) of 14.5% muriatic acid.

TA - 70 Pool Math says it’s OK

CH - 230 Pool Math says to add 194 oz of Calcium Chloride or 370 oz Calcium Chloride Dihydrate

CYA - 34 Pool Math says to add 55 oz of dry stabilizer.

I'd like to get out to buy this stuff today (when I can get out of the house, I'm REALLY hoping not having to deal with going to Leslie's.

Chlorine: 10% (liquid)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gal-Pool-Care-Chlorinating-Liquid-2-Pack-20128HDX/206809041

Muriatic Acid: 14.5% (liquid)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-Gal-Swimming-Pool-Muriatic-Acid-2-Pack-10014HDX/206809290

Calcium Chloride: (pellets)
(is this stuff at Lowes ok? Home Depot site says they have no salt in stock within a 100 miles not sure if that is accurate) Shop Morton 40-lb Salt Pellets at Lowes.com

Cyanuric Acid: (powder I assume)
Can’t seem to find this at Lowes/Home Depot by this name, I do see “Stabilizer” which is the term Pool Math uses. Though Dirk, you said to avoid Clorox (product?) Maybe it will be okay as a short term fix... ?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Clorox-Pool-Spa-4-lb-Stabilizer-Pool-Balancer/50332983

When I find all these - do I put them in all at once, or one at a time in a specific order?

Do I wait an hour our two and do all the tests again before proceeding to add the next chemical?

Zippered Laundry Bag for the CYA "Stabilizer" (2” x 22” x 23”) smallest they have in stock

https://www.target.com/p/honey-can-do-white-room-essentials-153/-/A-15804827

Do I put this inside the skimmer? I think I remember Kim suggesting to hang it OUTSIDE the skimmer, but not sure how, and would it be ok hanging outside the skimmer and leaning against the pebble?.

Put the CYA in a bag, in the skimmer. You can squeeze it to help it. I usually put it in a filter sock, put it in the skimmer, leave it for 15 minutes, then come out and give it its first squeezing. Then wait another hour and come back and finish it.

You can add everything at once but it is advisable to start putting bleach and muriatic in different ends of the pool. Honestly I would wait on the Muriatic as 7.8 is not bad at all.

Calcium chloride I just dumped in but you could put it in a bucket first. Be careful as the water in the bucket will get hot enough to burn you.

Hi PoolGate,

These are spillways, so there is no controls, just the speed of the pump inside the spa (that I know of). We do have three deck jets that are all controlled by separate valves. We like the fact that we can dial them in to spray the same or different distances.

Hi Riley00dog, My recollection that there was no winds/sand prior to the plaster/pebble going down. Here is a photo of what it looked like about an hour after they left after blowing the plaster in. I think as the day progressed and the plaster dried the slight variations evened out.

View attachment 75061

That’s definitely a good thing. Hopefully it can be fixed with a little TLC.

I'll let Kim or others handle the chemistry. Enough cooks in that kitchen. Except to say two things:

- get the FC up, right away. Don't wait on that one.

- if your CYA is 34, and you think you need to add 55oz in a 9700G pool, that indicates to me that you've still got Pool Math configured as if you're running an SWG pool. You're not. Your pool is currently a non-SWG pool.

And if you have that setting wrong, then that will throw off most of your other Pool Math numbers as well. Be sure you have that right before you go dumping in chemicals. I explained that in depth in a previous post, about how to set that setting and how it affects your recommended ranges, etc. Did you get through that post?

Hi Dirk,

Yes, that post was very helpful. I just rechecked and my Pool Math does say Bleach, and those are the numbers it says (unless I'm missing something. HOWEVER, since my CYA was 34, and not 35 like before, I did not round up (like I was told to). But I did enter 34 in the pool math (as you can see in my screen capture) . If I'm only adding 19 oz of beach - how long should I wait to test again, and do I need to preform all the tests if I'm only adding beach?

Image-1.jpgImage-1 2.jpg

I'll let Kim or others handle the chemistry. Enough cooks in that kitchen. Except to say two things:

- get the FC up, right away. Don't wait on that one.

- if your CYA is 34, and you think you need to add 55oz in a 9700G pool, that indicates to me that you've still got Pool Math configured as if you're running an SWG pool. You're not. Your pool is currently a non-SWG pool.

And if you have that setting wrong, then that will throw off most of your other Pool Math numbers as well. Be sure you have that right before you go dumping in chemicals. I explained that in depth in a previous post, about how to set that setting and how it affects your recommended ranges, etc. Did you get through that post?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.