New construction bid in Houston. Requesting input!

SpringSingh

Jul 13, 2020
Spring, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi All,

I have learned a lot from the forum over the last few months. I am finalizing a bid for my pool and want to get input from the members on the selections/decisions I am making. The pool builder only uses Heyward equipment.
  • Salt water pool, 32 ft long and 18 ft to 22 ft wide. ( I have attached the pic)
  • 8 x 6 spa, 12 inch raised, rolled edge. Should I increase the height to 18” (at added cost) to make it easy for people to use it as a seat? Or make it flush with the pool and save around $2k. Does the rolled edge worth at $600
  • Hayward TriStar VS 950 Omni Pump with Smart Pool Control. This is 2.75 HP . PB wanted to install 1.85 HP. I requested to upgrade the pump at $600 cost. The pump contain smart controls for other components. No separate automation system
  • Upgraded cartridge filter from Heyward 4025 to 5025. Cost $300
  • Upgraded Heyward heater from 250k BTU to 400k BTU. Cost $600
  • Extra space for chiller on the pad
  • Auto refill. Cost $500
  • Two skimmers independently plumbed
  • Salt system for up to 40,000 gallon
  • 2.5” plumbing
  • Pool depth : 4’ to 6’
  • Spotter tiles on the steps. $400
  • 60% quartz plaster. Upgrade cost $2500 over white plaster. Should I done this upgrade or spend more to get PebbleTec or keep the white plaster?
  • PB is charging $500 to seal the travertine coping. I will be getting decking done separately and planning on installing travertine. I might get the deck sealed. Should I request PB to not to seal the coping and I will get it done with the deck? Anything important to do when getting decking done separately from pool builder
  • I am getting 4’ sheer decent. Will it be fine for the pool size or should I get one scupper each on both sides of the decent?
  • PB is saying that one 2.7 HP VS pool is good for everything. I have seen people here recommending separate pumps for water features and even spa. Should I get extra pump? Down side of one pump?
  • Pool builder recommended one colorlogic led light in the pool and one in the spa? He is saying that they use “big” light in the pool and one is sufficient. Do I need another light in the pool. It will add about $1000 or so
  • I am planning on getting a covered structure on the right side of the pool. Should I move the pool and spa a little to the left?
  • Anything else I should ask/add/remove?
  • Thanks a lot in advance.

Attachments

• 60F9AAB3-C786-4986-AE8A-876CA116087E.jpeg
    60F9AAB3-C786-4986-AE8A-876CA116087E.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hey neighbor,

You might find my build thread (in my signature) relevant. It was designed and built as a TFP pool.

No separate automation system
You may want to consider automation, especially with all the equipment and features you have.

Extra space for chiller on the pad
Great idea. If you have room, make the equipment pad extra large. You'll use all of that space for future upgrades, deck box, grill, storage, pool floats, etc..

Salt system for up to 40,000 gallon
What's the estimated volume of the pool?

PB is charging $500 to seal the travertine coping.
I wouldn't bother sealing it.

Should I get extra pump? Down side of one pump?
I would get a separate feature pump so you can use the spa and water features at the same time. I don't have a spa, so I have only one pump.

Anything else I should ask/add/remove?
You'll want more than one light in your pool. Have all the lights face away from the house or main sitting area.

Reactions: SpringSingh
Hey neighbor,

You might find my build thread (in my signature) relevant. It was designed and built as a TFP pool.

You may want to consider automation, especially with all the equipment and features you have.

Great idea. If you have room, make the equipment pad extra large. You'll use all of that space for future upgrades, deck box, grill, storage, pool floats, etc..

What's the estimated volume of the pool?

I wouldn't bother sealing it.

I would get a separate feature pump so you can use the spa and water features at the same time. I don't have a spa, so I have only one pump.

You'll want more than one light in your pool. Have all the lights face away from the house or main sitting area.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I also live in The Woodlands (Creekside) so indeed a neighbor. The pump PB is offering does have in built automation. The downside is that if pump goes back I have to pay for pump and automation. I am not sure what will be the increased cost of separating pump and automation. I will look into the separate feature pump. I am still thinking about extra light, given the cost. The pool will be about 24000 gallons. Thanks.

I went back and forth on the raised spa it was like a $3k upgrade for us and ended up not doing a raised one. My teenage daughter lays out on the spa edge she says it is nice because the water spilling over the edge keeps you cool. I also just liked the streamline look of it.

Only other thing is I'd get more lights. We only did two (and they are only microbrights) and wish we did three in the main area. I am a fan of the pebble finishes for longevity. This is the second pool we have done with pebble finish.

2AB19409-E5BB-45DB-B358-B3C40F8E7BFB_1_105_c.jpeg

Congrats on the new build!

I'm doing a DIY pool. I went with the 18in sheer wall with waterfalls with led lights and Spa. I have 3 led lights in my pool one on the tanning ledge and two in the pool. The hayward automation will put on a spectacular light show. The equipment i ordered is on my sig..
1658942307373.png

Last edited:
If you choose a raised spa - the rolled edge is worth $600 IMO.
I have a TriStar VS 950 and a separate Omni Logic automation and it works great. I've never heard of the TriStar VS 950 Omni but it sound like it would work similarly?

Should I increase the height to 18”
No as I like it all on the same level.
Does the rolled edge worth at $600
yes as it is so comfy on your neck and arms.

Make sure to get an overflow pipe for when you have a big rain so you don't have to run out to drain the pool during a storm.

Make sure to get a light by the equipment pad. YOu will thank me on a dark and stormy night!

Make sure to get an overflow pipe for when you have a big rain so you don't have to run out to drain the pool during a storm.

Make sure to get a light by the equipment pad. YOu will thank me on a dark and stormy night!
Thanks Kimkats. Can I get rolled edge with spa flush with the pool? I have requested a light by the pad and also have extra space on the pad for future chiller installation.

I am getting an overflow line and also auto-fill. Does auto-fill worth $500? I am also getting a light by the pad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi KimKats, the quote already included the fill line. The charge was additional to add the auto fill system. The pool will have the fill line either way.

Hi KimKats, the quote already included the fill line. The charge was additional to add the auto fill system. The pool will have the fill line either way.
Autofill is useful because if the pool level becomes too low, the skimmer will begin to suck air, and the pump motor for the pool filter could potentially burn up.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for helping me with my pool build decisions. I have one more question. The PB is offering Heyward Tristar 2.7 HP VS Omni Pump. This pump have a built it Omni automation system. Another option will be to get the same pump without the Omni feature and get Omni PL system separately. I would like to hear if people have chose one way or the other in their pool and pros/cons with it? I like the idea of separating pump and automation as worth the combined system, if one feature fails, I have to pay to change both of them. Also, I am not sure if PL will provide me with more functionality. I will appreciate any input. I have to finalize my decision in a week. Thanks.

I like the idea of separating pump and automation as worth the combined system, if one feature fails, I have to pay to change both of them.

For that reason alone I would get the OmniPL.

Having your Omni system on the pump will lock you into limited pump choices in the future.

Reactions: .ben
I need the extra pump to run the Sheer decent waterfall and the bubblers, That's why I went with the 950 Vs Omni.It saves me money and controls my spa, lighting, heater, water features and I can integrate with most equipment brands.

Last edited:
I need the extra pump to run the Sheer decent waterfall and the bubblers, That's why I went with the 950 Vs Omni.It saves me money and controls my spa, lighting, heater, water features and I can integrate with most equipment brands.
Are you getting SWG? If yes, then I think you can get the package deal of Omni PL with SWG and get the VS 950 pump without Omni might actually be cheaper and will have more functionality. I am new to this so my understanding might be off. Experts can chime in here.

The plumber Who's doing my job got my PE at wholesale pricing from SCP distributors.He does quality work and recommended this setup. I paid $1924 for The Hayword pump 950 Omni's.He also recommended I install trichlor.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.