NEW clear water tinted green

With the rust showing up on the filter you need to add sequestrant and maintain it in your pool.

I am not well versed on iron management in a pool. There are other members who will provide some guidance.

Take care.

wow ya it sounds like iron from the filter rinsing post.

I'm surprised it didn't show up on the pool store metals test, those usually show at least something.

The thing you really need to do right now is get a proper test kit. K2006 or TF100 then go from
there.

There are better metal sequestrant's that folks who practice tfp use, so I would not get those
chlorox ones. They probably contain additional things not needed / could make worse.

With your small pool (like mine), it should be easy (or not too difficult) to create a 5 gallon bucket filter to filter out the oxidized iron. We did that 2 years ago, and since mother nature keeps us topped off with rain water, we don't have to use a sequestrant. I highly recommend!

With your small pool (like mine), it should be easy (or not too difficult) to create a 5 gallon bucket filter to filter out the oxidized iron. We did that 2 years ago, and since mother nature keeps us topped off with rain water, we don't have to use a sequestrant. I highly recommend!
Here are a few pics of ours. Materials were about $10. Well worth it for us!
e24c3998227c9e3b3e1a4bb9d9acb157.jpg
4b1028b69202056ca53e7a573c057fec.jpg
06810c010063ada3e18b928ae7325b1e.jpg

I had been asked to advise you on sequestrant but I actually do think given the small volume etc. that you first try Roode’s meth9d ;)

If for any reason that doesn’t work, order Metal Magic by Proteam. I know that one works. It’s just better to remove it if you can ;)

You guys rock! Thank you! Now are any of these solutions quick? And is it safe to swim? As long as levels are right? Someone on my Facebook mentioned they had the same problem and the culprit ended up being phosphate. Something to look into? Also, picked up some bleach tonight, will be testing that tomorrow!

You guys rock! Thank you! Now are any of these solutions quick? And is it safe to swim? As long as levels are right? Someone on my Facebook mentioned they had the same problem and the culprit ended up being phosphate. Something to look into? Also, picked up some bleach tonight, will be testing that tomorrow!

The pool is safe to swim in if you can see the bottom and FC is below the SLAM Process level per the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. If it is a little yellow from iron, then it isn't a safety hazard, just an aesthetic one.

Phosphates are definitely NOT your problem nor your solution. Phosphates are algae food, but honestly it doesn't matter. Here at TFP, we don't care what the phosphate level is since the chlorine should always be at a level high enough to kill the algae. It doesn't matter how much food is at the buffet if there is no one there to eat it.

Amorgan,
You came to the right place. Very helpful and knowledgeable folks here. Go to pool school. Buy a test kit from the TFP affiliated site. Become a member if you can. You are going to have that pool looking great in no time. Good luck!

AMorgan,
I’ve been here for a few years and have found this forum to be AMAZING. But it’s a lot of info at first to absorb. Here is what has helped me:

Do not listen to neighbors, Facebook, pool store, or anyone else UNLESS THEY FOLLOW THE TFP METHOD. Just nod and smile at those people but IGNORE them. Once your pool is perfect and you have a truly trouble free pool feel free to work on converting those people.

Buy and use the test kits that are recommended here. Do not take your water in to the pool store for testing.

Only use regular bleach or liquid chlorine. (Same thing just different strengths). No tabs or fancy bleach. I just switched to a SWG, but I used to buy gallon jugs of liquid chlorine from pinch a penny because my local grocery doesn’t keep a lot of the regular Clorox on the shelves. Bleach has an expiration date so once you are done with your current SLAM only buy what you will use in a month or so. Wear old clothes when you deal with bleach or be very careful not to splash your clothes.

I have high TA in my fill water and my ph drifts up so I keep muriatic acid on hand to lower TA and Ph. Stay upwind or hold your breath when you add it to the pool, the fumes are horrible.

I keep CYA on hand because I have a lot of rain here in the summer which overflows the pool water and eventually dilutes the CYA level.

Download the pool math app, it’s a great thing to keep track of your pool. Plus it figures all your chemical additions and logs them.

Good luck! Crystal clear, sparkling water is in your future if you follow the pool school advice and the experts here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.