New California Pool Owner!

brewerss

Sep 9, 2020
Riverside, CA
Hey Everybody! I just purchased a home with a pool for the first time and am slowly learning what it takes to be the pool guy. I grew up in Washington so I have absolutely no experience with pools!
In the next few weeks I’m going to do the measurements for total gallons but the deepest part of the pool only goes 5.5 ft. The filter is the biggest mystery to me. All the labels are long gone so all I know is it’s a DE filter. But normal PSI or how much DE to add? Not a clue.

It wasn't maintained very well previous owner so over the last few weeks I’ve learned quite a bit! So far I have:
- mapped pipes and learned how the three way valves control the flow.
- taken apart the rebel crawler to make sure it was all in good condition
-replaced the inline leaf catch
-replaced the check valve because the oRing was (I think that’s what the piece is called)
- replaced the oRing to the pump filter
- learn(ish) how to maintain the chemicals

My next task is to learn how to take apart the ancient filter and clean it out. Can anyone tell me the size of the or make of the filter? I have no idea the size of the filter or how much DE to add once I clean it out.

So I guess that’s a quick introduction of my pool care journey

Attachments

• 057048D6-86AB-4202-B69A-A5B8855C3DB7.jpeg
    057048D6-86AB-4202-B69A-A5B8855C3DB7.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 50E9E313-155D-4093-B1C3-9E351CBF2F2C.jpeg
    50E9E313-155D-4093-B1C3-9E351CBF2F2C.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 38
Howdy! welcome to the club! you will find lots of help here. If you haven't found it yet start here:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Here's a primer on DE filters from the wiki.. whoa that looks like an oldie.

And put the information about your pool in your signature, it helps others have a handy reference to your setup.

Welcome neighbor! Strange to see all that newer plumbing and Pentair equipment along with a 70's era filter. I guess it worked good enough for the previous owner.

Look up Pentair 2000 series filter. It looks close on google.

Best wishes!

Hey! Glad you found TFP. You've made some great progress! I see some fine equipment, and the right kind of valves, and your labels and arrows. All good.

Eventually you might want to paint the PVC. That'll spruce things up and give it some UV protection, too. (Then re-label, of course.)

Don't worry about that big thing in back there. I don't think that's actually part of your pool. Did you notice any coiled copper tubing laying around behind it? Or some old jugs? Does it have a spout anywhere on it? ;)

moonshine.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Here are some tips about filling in your signature, buying a good test kit, and how to post test results if you ever need help with the chemistry:

Howdy! welcome to the club! you will find lots of help here. If you haven't found it yet start here:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Here's a primer on DE filters from the wiki.. whoa that looks like an oldie.

And put the information about your pool in your signature, it helps others have a handy reference to your setup.

Thank you for the welcome! I appreciate the links. Things might have happened a little backwards for me because i jumped right into fixing the mechanics of the pool and didn't think about the chemistry. Those ABCs are awesome! Thanks!

Here are some tips about filling in your signature, buying a good test kit, and how to post test results if you ever need help with the chemistry:

I just downloaded the Pool Math app and will start getting those test results posted! At this point I'm using the Aquachek test strips. Thanks!

Hey! Glad you found TFP. You've made some great progress! I see some fine equipment, and the right kind of valves, and your labels and arrows. All good.

Eventually you might want to paint the PVC. That'll spruce things up and give it some UV protection, too. (Then re-label, of course.)

Don't worry about that big thing in back there. I don't think that's actually part of your pool. Did you notice any coiled copper tubing laying around behind it? Or some old jugs? Does it have a spout anywhere on it? ;)

View attachment 162025
You know... I did see a spout and a slight leak! Who knew this whole pool was just a generator for moonshine! ;).

A lot of my progress is thanks to this forum! It has been so helpful over the last few weeks that I just had to join. I have spent hours on google or YouTube trying to find solutions, then it only took five minutes here!
Spray paint is a great idea for the PVC. Over the next three weeks the pool area is getting repaved with pavers and a wall built around the equipment. After that, the equipment will get a good cleaning and paint job

Good. Marty beat me to it. Ya gotta get a good test kit. One of the two we recommend. You won't find much help here with your chemistry if you only post test strip results. Not because we're pool test kit snobs, but because advising you on what to dump into your pool based on inaccurate test results would be irresponsible. And test strips are inaccurate. Help us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good. Marty beat me to it. Ya gotta get a good test kit. One of the two we recommend. You won't find much help here with your chemistry if you only post test strip results. Not because we're pool test kit snobs, but because advising you on what to dump into your pool based on inaccurate test results would be irresponsible. And test strips are inaccurate. Help us help you.

Ill look into it this weekend!

As Dirk explains not only are strips notoriously inaccurate, we all need to be on the same platform test wise. It's much easier to give others advice if we are all using the same testing kits and speaking the same language. Here is the link we always send people to on test kits:

Here is the short version. Order a Kit from TFTestkits.net . They also use Taylor reagents, but the proportions of the reagents are tweaked to support the pool protocol we profess here and the amounts are more suitable for residential pools. In the end it is a better deal. And I heartily recommend the SpeedStir. It makes mixing easier and more consistent.

Reactions: brewerss
As Dirk explains not only are strips notoriously inaccurate, we all need to be on the same platform test wise. It's much easier to give others advice if we are all using the same testing kits and speaking the same language. Here is the link we always send people to on test kits:

Here is the short version. Order a Kit from TFTestkits.net . They also use Taylor reagents, but the proportions of the reagents are tweaked to support the pool protocol we profess here and the amounts are more suitable for residential pools. In the end it is a better deal. And I heartily recommend the SpeedStir. It makes mixing easier and more consistent.

Perfect! Thanks for the link! I can see how the unified test would help.

Alright! Yesterday I sat down and finally learned how to test my water. I felt like a chemist with all the dropping, counting, and swirling!

The chemistry is not where it should be. My CYA test won't even register so ill be conducting a diluted test with Tap water today. (Which I suspected because i cant keep chlorine in it to save my life!) The previous owners had a pool guy that continually kept pellets in the pool and never did anything about it. May have to drain and start over.....

Random Question: Before moving in, I had a company come in and replace raised cement caused by a sprinkler leak and the i didn't realize the pump was running the whole time! My filters and skimmers got clogged with cement pieces from the jackhammer. The cement was poured poorly and Now, I'm getting rid of all the cement around the pool and doing pavers. What is the easiest way to protect the pool? Just a tarp?

Isn't fun to do you're own testing? Did you get a speedstir too? that makes it funner!

yeah a simple black plastic tarp will help. but if you are going to be taking out all the old decking you will generate a lot of dust/dirt. I have seen pool builders that can do it without making a mess. Others not so much.

I would say that would be part of the interview conversations you'll have selecting the right contractor for the deck demo. That issue could arguably be more important than the price. Keep asking that question until you get an answer you like.

I'm afraid to let any water out of my pool, but if an exchange or complete replacement of the water is in your future, you might coordinate that with the demo. Drain pool --> half day to demo --> half day to clean mess out of empty pool --> fill pool.

Or... I wonder if one of those cheap bubble-wrap pool solar covers would be the thing to use instead of a tarp, cut oversize to seal as much as possible to the sides of the pool. Then just carefully slide it off after demo is done. Never done either, mind you, just thinking out loud...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.