New build underway

Aug 21, 2018
new ulm
I bought a used 18x48 Coleman pool and setting it up in my back yard. My back yard is a hill so I had to dig into the hillside a little to create a level pad. I plan on building a retaining wall that the pool will sit close to and building a deck for it as well. The slab is packed virgin ground and we leveled it with a laser within 1/2 at the most. I have a couple questions about the base...do I need sand or can I put down 1/2” insulation sheets duct taped both sides and a tarp over it?
9380ff993cea4d0c33f1296648f3ffdd.jpg
a9982218fffcb6edd6bc18b957a4e7b5.jpg
b728a7ab6cf5ed349d3c2575f0fa345b.jpg
4f310d9c39d009cf9cb88f495b9b9af1.jpg

WOW! That is a lot of work you have done there! Several people have used the foam boards and love them! As far as needing sand under them I will say it cannot hurt but may not be needed with the foam if you did a good job getting the ground smooth. Make sure to triple tape the seams so there is not way the liner can slip between joints.

Kim:kim:

Whether or not you need a layer of sand or sifted dirt depends on several factors, IMO. Are there still pebbles or small rocks embedded in the tamped dirt?
Do you live in an area where you are subject to frost heaving?
I would probably think using 1" foam instead of 1/2" would help with those issues.

The reason why I used foam and not sand under my current pool is the experience I had with my previous pool that used a bed of sand under the liner. Over time, people's feet made small depressions in the sand and it made it very difficult to vacuum.

With all the work you've done, I would say use 1" or 1-1/2" foam and forget the sand. Some people say the foam is 'soft', but I haven't noticed that, but my pool bottom has remained smooth over the 5 years since I put this pool in.

Brian

Whether or not you need a layer of sand or sifted dirt depends on several factors, IMO. Are there still pebbles or small rocks embedded in the tamped dirt?
Do you live in an area where you are subject to frost heaving?
I would probably think using 1" foam instead of 1/2" would help with those issues.

The reason why I used foam and not sand under my current pool is the experience I had with my previous pool that used a bed of sand under the liner. Over time, people's feet made small depressions in the sand and it made it very difficult to vacuum.

With all the work you've done, I would say use 1" or 1-1/2" foam and forget the sand. Some people say the foam is 'soft', but I haven't noticed that, but my pool bottom has remained smooth over the 5 years since I put this pool in.

Brian

What kind of foam did u use? Thinking the pink stuff?

I used the white foam (R-tech) from Home Depot. The pink Foamular 150 (or blue, depending on brand) is slightly denser-- which means it will compress less under pressure.

Some folks used the Foamular 250 which is quite dense.

I think the difference is 10% compression at 15 psi vs. 25 psi.

I think the white foam compresses 10% at 13 psi.

I'm suggesting the thicker foam to reduce the chance of a stone penetrating because of frost heaving over time.

4 feet of water = about 1.8 psi.
A 200 lb man = about 16 psi, so try and walk flat-footed when on the foam and avoid kneeling on it.

That is some rich looking dirt right there! What will you put over it until the seed comes up? I hear ya on not wanting to pay someone to do that if you are able to but sometimes is it nice to let your wallet do the work LOL

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.