Rancho Mission Viejo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Project finally got underway and now we're under the gun to make final materials selections.

One of the PBs references that we visited really stood out...it is a pretty "modern" look and we aren't 100% we can pull it off on our property (mostly because the textured stucco of the house isn't 'modern'). Anyway, I'm curious if other folks think this looks nice or not:

IMG_5630.jpg

Our property is much smaller than this place...our pool takes virtually all of the space between the patio and the edge of the property, but we could do something conceptually similar. "White" Reside tiles from Arizona Tiles for the bulk of the floor under our patio trimmed/outlined with a small "Black" Reside tile border.

We have a 32" gap between our covered patio and the raised pool -- was thinking we could use the same white tile or a decent looking grey 24x24 paver laid on large black stones...so there would be about 4" of stone around each tile.

The exterior pool wall could could be that same white tile although we're having a wood (ipe) deck put in at one end of the pool so I was thinking we could do the pool wall with more of a wood looking tile, either something light (faded wood) or something closer to the finish we expect to keep the deck. The wall is 18" high so it isn't an enormous amount of space.

Using a wood facade for the pool wall would also tie it into the covered patio area where we expect to use a wood tile facade behind the grill area. We also have a raised wall on the far side of the spa (privacy from/for the neighbors) which we could also use that material.

The other option is to stick with a more neuvo-ranchy feel which is what we generally have in the community we live in (it's on a working ranch). I don't really love what the architect had sketched out for materials and I'm having a hard time coming up with it all on my own.

I wish I had this in a 3d rendering system that i could just swap textures around on... :(

I love it! Personally I would run from any Pb that is not confident they can produce this. They should be able to take this and create a 3D render. Your job should be to pick your tile, deck and interior, but that’s it. Their job should be to design and build it. Have you exhausted all pbs in your area?

I love it! Personally I would run from any Pb that is not confident they can produce this. They should be able to take this and create a 3D render. Your job should be to pick your tile, deck and interior, but that’s it. Their job should be to design and build it. Have you exhausted all pbs in your area?

No, I worked with a landscape architect (I wasn’t getting a pool initially). The folks bidding were mostly pool people and they talked me into it. But none of them wanted to step on the architects toes so they kept pushing me back to the architect the: design.

It was a fairly ugly and frustrating process that didn’t produce the results I wanted; I reached out to a bunch of PBs on my own but stuck with the overall design of the architect...eventually I chose one of the PBS I found rather than one provided by the architect and chose to part ways with architect leaving me in limbo a bit re: updates to the drawings or getting a rendering.

I don’t think my guy has in-house ability to produce it so I’m sure it would cost $ and take time.

I think I’m just going to go mirror some of the concepts from the design above.

Same tiles for floor (white/light with grey/dark trim) for most flooring. Same white/light tiles surrounded by black stone between patio and pool and fire pit area.

Dark brown wood-look tile for exterior pool wall and similar vertical/trim areas (kitchen frame & backsplash, fire pit itself, spa privacy wall and maybe the base of the patio pillars.

Of course, I have no idea what the materials cost yet so hopefully I can afford it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.