New build thread California - plaster done -water in

Well, after a few weeks of doing backyard demo the yard is ready for the pool construction to begin. Pool company came out last Thursday and did a rough layout of the pool. They are coming out tomorrow to do the dig. After looking at the layout over the weekend the wife and I determined the pool needs to slide
down to the left (when looking from the house) a couple of feet - there is plenty of room - to allow for us to put a couple of chaise loungers on that end as well as for room to walk around the pool equipment. When we originally looked at the first drawings there was 9' from the fence to the pool and the rough only has 6.5'
Also, a couple of the curves need to be modified a bit - softened and made a bit larger especially at the deep end. When the builder comes tomorrow to do the final layout before they start digging we'll discuss these with him. He already figured the pool would have to move when he was here last week so it shouldn't be an issue. Well, I guess now the real fun begins. I'll post pics as the build progresses.Pool_Layout.jpg

Looks nice.. I see you stuck the pool equipment in the back corner. Are you going to put a wall around it? Personally I don't like the having concrete pored around the pipes though a lot it PB's do it that way. I prefer having the pipes come up next to the equipment slab in case something needs to be serviced that involves accessing the pipes. Then I put pea gravel around the pipes. Not a big enough deal IMO to tell the PB to redo it.. but after living with my pool for awhile that's what I did when I re-plumbed everything.

I hear what you're saying. I thought it was odd but that's what they do. They did wrap the pipes in thick foam padding where they enter the cement. Due to code setbacks in our town that is as close to the back fence it could be placed. If the back of my house didn't face the side of my neighbors it could have been placed closer to the corner of the lot but oh well. I do plan on putting a screen around the equipment. The screen will be such that it can be removed so I can access the equipment from all sides. Still pondering exactly how I want to do it but I have a couple ideas. We'll be putting up a 12'x12' gazebo from Costco at the far end of the yard. I will be running electrical to it so we can install a fan, outlet and TV. Landscaping around the pool will be minimal. We're toying with the idea of putting potted plants behind the pool's wall since I'm not keen on planting anything directly in the ground there. Thinking perhaps of pygmy dates. Since we demoed most of the yard to do this we do have a number of plants we removed from the yard that are still in pots (I'm amazed they are still alive) that we may be able to find some room in the yard to re-plant them but there isn't much room around the pool itself so not sure some will fit. I have a bunch of river rock, cobbles and moss rock boulders that I retained that I will use as well. I'm also looking at other pools to see what folks did for plants and decorating.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the construction of our pool has slowed. Electrical has been completed but due to fairly consistent rain they have been unable to do the rock work and plaster. The hope is that next week is looking better weather-wise and they'll be able to complete it. In the meantime we've been doing a little shopping for loungers and such as well as doing some landscaping that won't be impacted by the remaining pool work.

With 2 hoses going it took about 12.5 hrs to fill to halfway up the tile. Based on the readings off the water meter it comes in at about 9300 gallons.
The pool builder will be by today to start things up. Looks like a traditional start-up process will be used. We have a salt system but builder says that won't be fired up for about 4 weeks which is in line with what is posted in TFP. All-in-all, it went pretty well. No real issues with any of the build process. Pool contractor has been great to work with. Love the color with the tile, stone and how it fits into our yard. Once the sun comes out I'll post a few more pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.