New build thread California - plaster done -water in

Cyclist7531

Bronze Supporter
Jun 27, 2019
Central Valley California
Well, we settled on a builder and design so this will be the official thread for our pool build. The two builders we were down to each had designs we liked, had good reputations in the area but we opted for the builder we choose based on liking this design a little better. The other factors were price and the one we didn’t choose would not install a SWG unless we signed a waiver which played a big part in our decision to not select them. Anyway, here are the general specs for this pool.

Dimensions are 30’x12’ max length and width. Depth is 3.5’ to 6’.
Pump: 2.7 Jandy VS ePump along with .75 waterfall pump
Jandy valves with actuators
Filter: Jandy CL460 cartridge
SWCG: Aquapure PLC1400
Automation: Aqualink PDA-P4
Extra outlets and light at equipment pad
Pool Lights: qty 2 hydrocool led watercolors
1 skimmer
4 returns
Pour-a-lids
Channel drain
2 sleeves for removable hand rail for SR Smith Artisan Handrail
1 umbrella sleeve in Acapulco shelf
Plumb for solar
Wall: 27’ in length 18” high and 12” wide with 3 sheer descents in lengths of 2’, 3’, 2’. The middle one will be slightly higher than the outside ones. Wall will be finished in a rock veneer that matches our house topped with cantilevered cement.
Deck: Salt finished grey natural cement with 1’ wide broom finish coping. We’re having some extra decking/patio poured so the final dimensions will be pending but the price per square foot was established
Waterline tile: NPT 6” Quarry ridge in beige with matching 2” target tiles on steps and swim out bench
Plaster: NPT Quartzscapes Caribbean series in Aruba Sky
Their pricing includes a MX6 vacuum but at some point we will probably get a robot.

They will make sure the pool is fully balanced and ensure all equipment is fully functional. They do a pool school to ensure we know how to use the equipment, etc. One of the things this company is known for is their customer service and ongoing support of the pool owner once the job is completed.

Due to our schedule the construction is targeted to begin the end of Sept with completion within 60 workable days. Since I’ll be home I’ll make sure to take plenty of pictures and post them here.

Mark

Attachments

• Maral_011.jpg
    Maral_011.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Mark,

I am impressed!! It looks like you did your homework before signing on the dotted line.. :thumleft:

I really like the removable hand rail, the pour a lids, and channel drains, and SWCG..

Good luck with your pool build,

Jim R.

Yep. They gave me a form that covered all types of bullet points around how it will corrode pool equipment, decks, interior, etc. We really wanted to go salt. They were recommending Ozone and UV systems along with an inline chlorinator that used pucks. So, if we had chosen them my option would have been liquid chlorine with possibly a liquid chlorine injector which I would have had to install. The builder we chose was suggesting salt from the beginning.

They will make sure the pool is fully balanced and ensure all equipment is fully functional. They do a pool school to ensure we know how to use the equipment, etc. One of the things this company is known for is their customer service and ongoing support of the pool owner once the job is completed.

This had a lot to do with our final selection. We narrowed it down to 2 reputable people and one of them dropped off a pallet of chemicals and left the rest up to us. They had no service department for down the road, just a mom and pop builder. The other one (also mom and pop) had a pool store and a full service for repairs/winterizing etc. he sold me as much on the ongoing relationship as he did with the initial build. Were they better to me after the build than a customer who didn’t invest heavily in them ? I can’t say for sure. But they have been very very good to me in the 7 years since, and offered much help and sound advice in that time. This guy isn’t a box store and only has his reputation to keep the business afloat. I recently went in when my brand new IC60 blew a fuse and they called their head technician (another local guy I’ve known for years and see at school functions). in the field to run me through diagnostic testing knowing full well I wasn’t hiring them for the repair. But they also know I’ll be back and keep telling anybody who asks that they are honest.

Good luck with the build. There will be bumps and setbacks. It’s a huge project and things rarely go 100% right. But a good builder will navigate those speed bumps and get you back on track.

Starting end of September, aye... Hopefully they will have it done before the rains start. Or we get a long Indian summer. My mom started a pool in August in Atwater... they got it done in late October... just in time for us to not use it that year. ;)...

Good luck with the build.. post pics, stop action vids are always fun! Figure out a way to write your name in the cement or sign the decking or pool. I've seen lots of cool ideas to leave your mark on the pool. My favorite was to make a few custom tiles with the kids name on them and have them put on the steps underwater. you had to go snorkeling to see them, it was a mini adventure.

My favorite was to make a few custom tiles with the kids name on them and have them put on the steps underwater. you had to go snorkeling to see them, it was a mini adventure.

That’s a great idea. Tell all the first time visiting kids they have to find everybody’s names. Would buy the adults a few minutes of peaceful chatting before the ‘Hey MOM watch THIS’ starts up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would be nice to have it done so we could use it this year but we have a backyard to demo plus vacation so that was the earliest we could have it started. Hopefully, the rains hold off and it gets done before we get any big storms. At least it will be ready when the weather warms up in the spring and I’ll have a whole summer to enjoy it. Good idea on trying to personalize it.

It’s gonna take time to clean up the backyard too so that will buy you some time. We were finished July 25th and swimming in a perfect pool surrounded by a war zone. The patio wasn’t done until September so there was tons of dirt getting tracked in at first. By the first spring I had the backyard ok enough to not be embarrassed when people came over.

Automation: Aqualink PDA-P4
Curious about your automation choice. I think that is older generation. Did you discuss iAqualink with the PB? I'd bet you'll be wanting to upgrade to iAqualink within a year of using the pool. Much easier to use your phone/ipad/laptop for programming and turning things on an off. You could even have both the PDA and iAqualink if you prefer and want to pay for both.

It’s gonna take time to clean up the backyard too so that will buy you some time. We were finished July 25th and swimming in a perfect pool surrounded by a war zone. The patio wasn’t done until September so there was tons of dirt getting tracked in at first. By the first spring I had the backyard ok enough to not be embarrassed when people came over.
Well actually We were still doing the landscaping on the yard after my mom's pool was done.. it was nice to take a break and jump in the water to cool off.. then back to moving dirt. Once the grass was in the amount of dirt getting tracked into the house and blown into the pool dropped to zero.. but it was worth it to have it around during the grunt work.

Totally. But every last friend we had wanted to see our beautiful pool. Which it was if they had blinders on and couldn’t see the war zone around it.

I have a guy that is going to do the demo for us. We have an established yard with cement, arbors, pond and plants that have to be removed. Was cheaper to have him do it than the PB. There is some things I need to do as well to prep for the install which will take a couple of weeks. We don’t mind doing the landscaping after the pool is done and to be honest there will not be a lot of planting areas to deal with after the pool is in. Dodger as for the automation we did discuss it with the PB and since we don’t have a spa that we might want to turn on before we got home we thought the pda was sufficient to manage what we have. However, you may be right that at some point I may opt to add iAqualink

Dodger as for the automation we did discuss it with the PB and since we don’t have a spa that we might want to turn on before we got home we thought the pda was sufficient to manage what we have. However, you may be right that at some point I may opt to add iAqualink
I think one thing you want to be sure of is that the Aqualink control board starts off being a high enough rev (T, I believe) to make the upgrade possible without replacing that board too. You should make sure your PB is documenting that rev commitment.

Pretty sure @PoolGate went through PDA to iAqualink upgrade soon after building without having a spa. Maybe he can share his motivation.

You could upgrade at any time. I would just specify that he uses current rev products I doubt they are using anything old. Anything current can be upgraded with the IQ20-RS kit. I think you will end up wanting the full iAqualink. Programming even basic stuff using the PDA interface is terrible. It isn't really a case of remote vs locale. If you decide to upgrade, make sure you get the whole IQ20-RS and not the IQ20-A. The -A is totally useless. I started with exactly what you have PDA-P4. I now have web, PDA and smartphone access to everything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.