New Build - Thoughts on deep end being 4Ft from house?

Jun 8, 2016
Tampa
Happy Sunday all!
My parents are looking to have an in ground pool built at their house and have met with several potential companies. Due to the constraints of their backyard, they're going with an L shape pool with the deep end being 5Ft deep. What is the consensus on having a 5Ft deep end only 4 ft away from the foundation of the house? Could this lead to future potential problems with the homes foundation? See attached Picture.pool.jpeg

An experienced / qualified contractor in the local area should be able to give you an assessment.
Probably depends on house foundation type and condition, soil type, water table etc as far as potential damage to house foundation.
Any type of construction doable, cost goes up with difficulty and potential hazards.

Most places have a requirement of 10 ft or more from any kind of structure or deck.

In Marion county in Florida, you can run the pool within a foot or so of the foundation. the only restriction for me was that the edges of the pool had to be 5' from my windows. If closer than 5', you need to replace all your windows with safety glass - a very expensive task.

Reactions: Cavmedic
Yes - mine needed the additional reinforcement. It doesn't add much to the cost - it's a fairly minor add to the pool. Moving closer brings the glass replacement into play.

In CA we have a foot to daylight ratio. I think it is ten feet to daylight meaning from the bottom of the pool wall up at a 45 degree angle you will have to hit daylight in ten feet. Builder should know the regulations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was told it was 10 ft here so nobody could jump from the house/deck. Instead of ‘hold my beer’ it would have to be ‘hold my tequila’ in order to want to try.

I was wondering earlier in this thread if the cages in FL made the pool ‘indoors’ and part of the house structure instead of being a separate structure. Or if the cage simply removed the distance requirement because the jumping worry was no longer a concern.

in any regards we all probably have our own little local nuances.

• Haha
Reactions: Desert Dog
I live in the The Villages - most homes have a very small yard (generally less than 1/4 acre). Once you put a home on this size of land, there isn't much left.

The only way to fit a pool in many of these yards requires the builder to get creative in their design, and to get any size at all, you need to run it close to the home. You can see how close mine is in my profile pic. The curves were put in to give the pool a free form look AND to keep the edges 5' from the windows (that is the depth of my pool).

My first home here would have been near impossible to put a pool in. My new home has an "oversized" lot by Villages standards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.