New build pool light issue- PB accidentally only installed 3 Micorbrites instead of quoted 4 - what to do?

BrittanyV

Silver Supporter
Dec 7, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all - quick questions and we would appreciate opinions about number and placement of Pentair Microbrite LED lights.

I recognized yesterday that our PB only put niches in our new 15.5 x 40' Imagine Illusion FG pool for (3) lights, equally spaced, facing away from our house. Our quote included (4) lights, and I pointed this out to the PB. I've since seen the recommendation from Pentair of (1) 500 lumen Microbrite per 120 sq ft of pool surface (doing the math our pool should have 5?!?). The PB has admitted the mistake, and is offering to to their best to make it right, but what is done is done so there are limited options.

The first and easiest option is to just omit the 4th light and apply a credit. If (3) Microbrite lights is satisfactory in a 15.5 x 40 pool, this is probably what we favor. BUT we don't have any real world experience with these lights, and this is our first pool. Any thoughts from the group on this?

The attached sketch shows the lights as positioned (yellow circles). PB has offered to add the additional light either in the center of the deep end (purple circle in sketch) or opposite the light that is most near the deep end (green circle in the sketch).

Neither option is great. IMHO the PB suggestion (green circle) would be odd because it would be the only light on that side of the pool and it would be facing the house. The other option (purple circle) would be facing the main portion of our patio and the shallow end, but not directly at the house.

How annoying is it if the Microbrite lights are facing you? If it is like having a flashlight in your face, if so I want no part of that. If it is a mild inconvenience, maybe we consider adding the 4th light.

Thanks for any feedback!

M&B

PS - just edited to include the sketch this time!
Screenshot 2021-04-07 210358.jpg

Last edited:
There was no attachment. IMHO lights are way overrated. In public pools there are mandatory safety requirements but for personal use, I think you can do as you wish. I like swimming with less light. If you have them for color display when lounging around the patio then probably not much difference of 4 vs. 3 to show off the pool.
I would take the credit (plus some) - state it is the grievance factor!!!

You could require the 4th light (the one shining towards the house) to have its own transformer and be on its own relay in your Automation. That way, you can use it if you need the extra light but turn it off if it is bother some to those sitting on the deck.

Reactions: BrittanyV
If it were my pool I think I'd place the additional light in the shallow end pointing toward the deep end to light up the shelf. I might even let the pool builder know how distraught I am about the change to the light design and ask if he'll make up for it by throwing in a 2nd light on the shelf at no cost or at least with no markup so we could more evenly light up the shelf.Screenshot_20210408-071217_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
FB68594B-C833-4366-A7FF-69C4133D93D8.jpeg

yes my pool is smaller than yours, we have two lights plus the waterfall and that’s way more than adequate. If I use any other color than magenta you feel like your on display and in front of interrogation lights. I wish I could dim them when swimming. As for the light for dramatic effect, it’s just right.

View attachment 328164

yes my pool is smaller than yours, we have two lights plus the waterfall and that’s way more than adequate. If I use any other color than magenta you feel like your on display and in front of interrogation lights. I wish I could dim them when swimming. As for the light for dramatic effect, it’s just right.
Looks great! We ended up staying with the 3 lights. There just wasn’t a good alternative to add the 4th.

Reactions: PoolStored
Looks great! We ended up staying with the 3 lights. There just wasn’t a good alternative to add the 4th.
What color plaster are you going with? If it is a darker shade think long and hard about this. I have a microbrite facing the house under the diving board and it doesn't really bother me. I do wish it was all pointed away from the house. What about adding another near the middle light ? That way you get some extra light there? Plus if they add it there and your really hate it you could always turn it off by disconnecting it at the transformer itself. Or wire it to a separate one that you could control independently.

I started with 3 microbrites in my build and then saw how small they were and went into panic mode. We ended up adding another 2 to the pool for a total of 5 and I love the way it looks at night. One of my favorite things about my pool and yard is what it looks like at night.

I've since seen the recommendation from Pentair of (1) 500 lumen Microbrite per 120 sq ft of pool surface (doing the math our pool should have 5?!?).
Hi Brittany,

Is this recommendation (light per surface sq. feet) documented? Our pool builder insisted that a single light would be sufficient when I asked about a second light. I realize now that they spec'd a 500 watt incandescent. Our build is in progress and I think I want to switch to LED an am looking for a calculator or guide for lighting.

Attached is an image of where the one light is in our pool (the blue dot). The plaster has not been installed yet and I want to move quickly if we should make a change.

Thanks,

Charlie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211008-201738_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20211008-201738_Samsung Notes.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
Hi Brittany,

Is this recommendation (light per surface sq. feet) documented? Our pool builder insisted that a single light would be sufficient when I asked about a second light. I realize now that they spec'd a 500 watt incandescent. Our build is in progress and I think I want to switch to LED an am looking for a calculator or guide for lighting.

Attached is an image of where the one light is in our pool (the blue dot). The plaster has not been installed yet and I want to move quickly if we should make a change.

Thanks,

Charlie
Jandy has a great lighting guide. too big to load the PDF file but you can find it here

Hey all - quick questions and we would appreciate opinions about number and placement of Pentair Microbrite LED lights.

I recognized yesterday that our PB only put niches in our new 15.5 x 40' Imagine Illusion FG pool for (3) lights, equally spaced, facing away from our house. Our quote included (4) lights, and I pointed this out to the PB. I've since seen the recommendation from Pentair of (1) 500 lumen Microbrite per 120 sq ft of pool surface (doing the math our pool should have 5?!?). The PB has admitted the mistake, and is offering to to their best to make it right, but what is done is done so there are limited options.

The first and easiest option is to just omit the 4th light and apply a credit. If (3) Microbrite lights is satisfactory in a 15.5 x 40 pool, this is probably what we favor. BUT we don't have any real world experience with these lights, and this is our first pool. Any thoughts from the group on this?

The attached sketch shows the lights as positioned (yellow circles). PB has offered to add the additional light either in the center of the deep end (purple circle in sketch) or opposite the light that is most near the deep end (green circle in the sketch).

Neither option is great. IMHO the PB suggestion (green circle) would be odd because it would be the only light on that side of the pool and it would be facing the house. The other option (purple circle) would be facing the main portion of our patio and the shallow end, but not directly at the house.

How annoying is it if the Microbrite lights are facing you? If it is like having a flashlight in your face, if so I want no part of that. If it is a mild inconvenience, maybe we consider adding the 4th light.

Thanks for any feedback!

M&B

PS - just edited to include the sketch this time!
View attachment 320982
We have the same pool and I just had it placed in the ground last week. Looking at your sketch where your builder placed the lights... I dont think he did a good job at placement. It's like he did it off the cuff n was a complete after thought, especially since he didnt add the 4th one. I went out and took pics of my light placement. I only ordered 3. They are all in line with my returns on the opposite side of the pool. I wish "some" of these builders would take more care and treat these pools as if they are theirs. I mean... his name is going to be attached to this pool forever. That's worse than if it was his own pool. Last pic shows returns.

Attachments

• 20211010_102510.jpg
    20211010_102510.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211010_102541.jpg
    20211010_102541.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211010_102703.jpg
    20211010_102703.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211010_102939.jpg
    20211010_102939.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have the same pool and I just had it placed in the ground last week. Looking at your sketch where your builder placed the lights... I dont think he did a good job at placement. It's like he did it off the cuff n was a complete after thought, especially since he didnt add the 4th one. I went out and took pics of my light placement. I only ordered 3. They are all in line with my returns on the opposite side of the pool. I wish "some" of these builders would take more care and treat these pools as if they are theirs. I mean... his name is going to be attached to this pool forever. That's worse than if it was his own pool. Last pic shows returns.
Looks good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.