New Build NW Arkansas

Pantseatflyer

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Farmington, AR
This is the first of hopefully many messages about our new pool adventure!

Just made the big purchase today from The Pool Factory.

As you may have noticed I did not include a pump or filter. I was not really satisfied with the choices that were given. All of them had went a bit overboard on the horsepower and very few 2 speed choices. So with that being said, I'm going to search for a 3/4 to 1 hp pump (2 speed) with the largest filter I can afford. I also did not buy steps as I was not happy with the choices as well.

This year, I'm going to learn the 'science' of pool chemistry with Pool School and opt to treat with chlorine (BBB) and TFP test kits since the next three months or so with swimming will give me a good idea of upkeep.

After that, who knows... It may be an injection system or SWG.

Pics will follow this evening of the dig site, hopefully followed by more! Thanks all for your knowledge and help!

pool spec.jpg

Just my opinion, but I think you will be underpowering your filter by going with just a 1 hp pump. Old 24 ft pool had a 2 HP pump, which I thought was overkill. New 24 ft we out in this year had a 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, which I am not satisfied with. Take much longer to cycle water, vacuum pressure is significantly less, bottom of pool does not stay as clean, I have to brush and manually vacuum more because of debris and algae. I am thinking if switching back to my 2 HP pump.
8d9a92bbcab50472638b46b4440db85e.jpg

Smaller, slower pumps provide more efficient filtering. CaseyandScott if you are having trouble keeping the pool free of algae it is due to insufficient chlorine, not the filtration system. If you would like to discuss this further please start a new thread and we will help you with this problem.

Advice for the OP...check that foam cove. I regret using it in my new AGP from the pool factory. It's not nearly large enough and the seams are clearly visible. We are planning to replace the bland blue liner next spring and when I do, I'm nixing that foam cove and going with sand. I actually like my 1-1/2 HP pump, but I also have a large solar system and am planning to add to it. It definitely has good suction power when vacuuming. I didn't get it from the pool factory though.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 1hp superflo dual speed pump will far out perform the 1,5 hp Dynamo pump. The superflo pump is self priming and has a stronger pump curve than the Dynamo pumps. With the 24 inch filter that will be a very nice setup for your pool.

The 1hp superflo dual speed pump will far out perform the 1,5 hp Dynamo pump. The superflo pump is self priming and has a stronger pump curve than the Dynamo pumps. With the 24 inch filter that will be a very nice setup for your pool.

Thanks! From Pentair's site, the superflo pushes out 45 g/min at low speed and 90 g/min at high. Based on my calculations, I can filter my 17k gallons in a little over 6 hours at low speed and based on our kilowatt hour cost in Arkansas, will cost me less than a dollar a day to run.. I'm sure high speed will be plenty to run a vacuum if needed. Now on to the Intermatic timer and 3 way switch.. more research...

Don't get caught up in turn over rates for pump run times it's really not useful. Just run your pump long enough to keep the surface clean. It only takes 30 min max to distribute chemicals pretty much regardless of pump size.

I thought I would resurrect this thread to document my progress. Here are a couple pics of dirt work. We had to cut quite a bit out to get things level. Just because it looks level, doesn't mean squat! :). I borrowed a laser transit! Big time saver!. We laid out our track, made sure everything was round at 27', marked the spots for our concrete pavers and then started from one paver to the next, using the transit and bubble level. I'm perfect all around a ring about 1 foot wide. I still need to level out the middle of the circle, but where the sides of the pool will be is dead level. I'm going in with the tiller and tearing down the high spots and hauling out the dirt. Lots of rocks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.