New Build, Northern California

Apr 29, 2017
Lincoln, CA
Hello all,

First I want to say thank you. This forum has been a wealth of knowledge. After several months of reading and researching and getting several bids we finally signed a contract and should start the dig this week. Thanks to this forum I feel confident in understanding the process and my build. I appreciate any input! Our yard is small! It will pretty much be all pool and decking.

The basics:

Free form, approximately 10,000 gallons.
Approx 30' x 17.5' x 11.5'
Cabo shelf first step 7" (still deciding on the depth, we like the shallow depth and Ledge Loungers but know it will be a slightly deep first step)
3'-6' depth
7' Spa, raised 12" with ledgestone face. 4 jets
Pool, split main drain. 1 skimmer, 3 returns. Autofill
All Pentair Equipment. ET 8, Screenlogic, IC40, Inteliflow VSP, 3/4 booster, 400k Mastertemp
Bubbler, 5G light in pool and Spa
Legend Pressure Side (I know robots are huge here but they are installing the booster for the bubbler so the cost was marginal, I do like the idea of being able to leave the sweep in the pool when not in use. I'm sure I will end up with a robot.)
Blue Surf Pebble Sheen
Stamped Colored concrete decking
Flagstone cap on spa

We're also still deciding where to locate the bubbler on the shelf. With no chairs it would make sense to put it in the middle, but with chairs it seems like it would work best offset.

Jones_003 (1).jpg

Jones_012.jpg

uc

uc

pool.jpg

Attachments

• Jones_009_zps8aemiq0a.jpg
    Jones_009_zps8aemiq0a.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 145
Welcome to TFP...Your pics did not post for some reason. First thing that stands out for me is the pool depth at 3'? That's mighty shallow and it will heat up quickly. I see you are in Roseville is that CA or where? Knowing what state your in helps the good folks here help you. Lets start there and wait for others to chime in as well. In the mean time look around the site and at others builds. I'm very new to TFP but you can click on the link to my build from my signature lines below. Creating a signature line will also be very valuable for others to help. Please feel free to reach out and best wishes...

Congrats on deciding to build a pool! I waited til late in life for a pool, and love it more than I expected.

I see your title names your state, but Cliff made a good suggestion. Add CA after your town name in the left margin of your post. That way when you start a new thread or reply to other threads, people will know Roseville is in California. That can be helpful to other readers.

Nice design! I like the extra width included- nice for floating and socializing.

I have 2 bubblers on my shelf. Both are closer to the pool side of the shelf rather than the coping or deck side of the shelf. If I had gone with one bubbler, I would still keep it near the edge but in the center of the edge. It's nice to get a foot massage on the bubbler!

The shallow depth of 3' is pretty shallow. Unless those who use the pool the most are relatively short, many people have gone to a 4' depth or at least 3.5'. Either of those would give you a gentler slope to the 6' depth. Depending on the depth of your shelf, you might want an extra step or two coming down from the shelf against the pool wall.

I look forward to learning more about your pool - and seeing more pictures! Lol!!

Suz

Hello neighbor, sounds like you have a pretty strong grasp of the basics. Don't forget to pick up a good test kit, being familiar with it prior to your pool being filled will help.

I have been very happy with my pressure side cleaner since I set it up properly. Plus an extra return never hurts when I switch to a robot :)

Thanks! I think I got the pictures figured out and also added the state to my profile. I'm not sure how I missed that.

I appreciate the input on the depth, I'll have to figure that out pretty quick. My wife is pretty short (5'2") and we have a one year old daughter. The PB recommended the depth and I don't think I ever really thought about it. I definitely see the points of the heat and the smoother grade. It does get pretty hot here, 90s to 100s is pretty typical for the summer months but it does cool down most nights to at least high 60s. (we do have really warm weeks where it stays warm) From people I've talked to pools tend to stay in the low 70s and a lot of people use solar to get into the 80s.

Suz, I appreciate your input on the bubbler. That helps, I think either way I'll leave it toward the pool side of the shelf. We've been going back and forth about the shelf depth and having an extra step, as you can see in the pictures from the PB I think there's one each way. Our thought is since we're tight on space not having an extra step might be nice, but we also don't want the shelf to be too shallow.

I'll get some before pictures up and then hopefully start progress this week. Thanks!

Iceman, I went with Century Pools. So far so good, but we're just getting started.

I do have a question regarding the spa. The Pb states that they usually put adjustable air valves in the spa coping above each jet for the air mix. My wife does not like the idea of having anything in the coping. He said he'd check with the plumber and they should be able to put a pipe that sticks out of the ground near the spa to create the air. He said they can be noisy and they are not adjustable. What is the general consensus on the best way? Pros and cons? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
More spa questions :

It's a 7' spa and 4 basic jets is what is included. Is that fine? Would it really be beneficial to upgrade to more or better jets? They want almost $1000 to add two more jets. Seems like it would be nice, but a little pricey if you're not trying to sit in front of them as therapy jets. Any input?

$1000 to add 2 jets is a lot. I'd probably pass. That said, jets themselves are pretty cheap and come in a dozen varieties. You might ask your PB what choices you have. Some spin, some are really bubbly, some have high pressure, some are adjustable. It's nice having different kinds. We have one down at foot level that's awesome ... it's like a foot massager. Everyone wants to sit in front of it. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.