New build, leaks in wall around scuppers?

Psiuyo

Aug 4, 2022
Houston
Hello, new pool owner here. We just started up our pool last week but almost immediately began to see dampness on the backside of the 12" wall behind the scuppers, we are also seeing a dozen or so areas of white mineral content running down the front side staining the stacked stone veneer and waterline tile.
I have to imagine that this is a design fault of the two scuppers causing a leak inside the wall, but since it's the holidays crews are short staffed and haven't been able to come review yet. I'm sure the builder will repair anything not normal but I guess the reason for this post is just to see if others have seen this and if my expectations are realistic. Neither of these issues are normal right? The mineral stain obviously looks bad but the damp wall is going to lead to mold.

Attachments

• Resize_20221229_191113_3275.jpg
    Resize_20221229_191113_3275.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Resize_20221229_191113_3783.jpg
    Resize_20221229_191113_3783.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 44
Welcome to TFP and congratulations on your new pool. It is unfortunate you already have leaks in the new construction.

The white stains are Efflorescence - Further Reading from water flowing through stone and pulling salts and minerals out.

Welcome! :wave: Are you able to turn off the scuppers for now? It would be ideal to keep water from saturating that area until the builder can do their work. It's new so they should honor their workmanship. Curious though, has the builder received their final payment?

Yes, the final payment was due at decking. I know we're short on leverage but they haven't given any reason so far that would make me think they'll be difficult now. We had the pumps running 24x7 over the weekend in freeze protect mode and for a couple days afterwards since that's what we were told to do for the first week. That pump is off now that we see the issue spreading.
I took plenty of pictures during construction but I'm kicking myself for not getting any of the scupper basins. It was just a simple gunite basin with an input pipe in the bottom. Without being able to see it now my my initial thought is that the water is filling faster than its overflowing the ledge and instead overflowing the entire basin into the wall. Both scuppers are the same. If that's the case then maybe the simple solution is to just turn the valves down a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229-204735.png
    Screenshot_20221229-204735.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.