New build - Katy, TX (near Houston)

BLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You KNOW I love it!!

With the limestone you can pick through the crates when it gets there and take out any pieces you do not like and have them use them for the places that need to be cut making sure they don't use THE spot you don't like LOL

Kim:kim:

Well, my dream has been crushed... PB called back and informed me that Freska limestone is 4 times more expensive than the ivory travertine... I would have to fork out additional $8000 if I want the Freska limestone... I briefly thought about just doing the coping with Freska limestone, and do the rest of the decking with ivory travertine, but I don't think creamy/grey limestone coping blends well with ivory/beige travertine... I am now considering vein cut ivory travertine for the coping and the regular ivory travertine for the decking...

BLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You KNOW I love it!!

With the limestone you can pick through the crates when it gets there and take out any pieces you do not like and have them use them for the places that need to be cut making sure they don't use THE spot you don't like LOL

Well,

My pool build is finally moving again after 2.5 weeks of delay caused by a scheduling issue, an equipment breakdown and a week worth of thunderstorms.
My PB owns coping, plumbing and electrical companies, so he is guaranteeing that there won't be anymore delays...

Yeah, it was very frustrating... Well, at least I finalized the coping and decking material during the down time. I decided to shelve the Freska limestones for my future custom home build.. (LOL). My PB is going to hand pick very light and creamy travertines for the coping in 16”x24” size. This way pool parameter will have a slightly highlighted look contrast to the deck travertines.

Such a sad for you and your pool :(

Plumbing crew brought over the equipment and installed the pipes yesterday.

28221655247_9dbc051f64_b.jpg

I finally received most of the equipment part numbers last week:
Main Hayward VS pump: Tristar SP32950VSP
Water Feature pump: Tristar SP3210EE
Silencer 1.5HP blower: AIR-85-8412
Omni Logic 8 function with 40,000 gal. Salt Cell: ?
Cartridge filter: C5030
Hayward 40K BTU filter: H400

Upon inspecting the equipment, I found some issues immediately... they brought over a UV and ozonator that I canceled while back. They also brought a pool cleaner booster pump, which I also canceled since I am planning on buying a robot cleaner. Last kicker was that they brought over a used inline puck dispenser instead of a SWCG!

42372548674_6e1795e08b_b.jpg

43091478051_2c9ec994e9_b.jpg

I called PB to inquire about the equipment issues, and he says there was a breakdown of communication between the owner of the plumbing company and the employees (Of course it wasn't PB's fault... LOL).

Moving on to the plumbing... I asked the foreman how many return lines are going from the equipment pad to the pool, and he said one 2" pipe runs about 40 feet from the equipment pad towards the pool. Then it splits into two 2", which connects to five return eyeballs. Separate 2" return pipe runs from the equipment pad to the spa returns. I wasn't too happy about only having two 2" return pipes compared to having three 2" suction pipes pulling water from the pool (2 skimmers and 1 main drain). Without doing any hydraulic math it seemed more logical to have the equal number of pipes returning and pulling water to and from the pool. After a quick call to the plumbing sub owner, foreman agreed to add another 2" return pipe going from the equipment pad to the pool.

29218418958_e1df637b9d_b.jpg

41279314650_e177e9dc67_b.jpg

42372004974_e78c00fd45_b.jpg

41279312540_697262566c_b.jpg

Moving on to the equipment pad... After placing 2 pumps and a filter about 12 inches apart from one another there wasn't enough space for the gas heater, which is about 3 feet wide... Crew agreed that pad isn't big enough. So now, I have to wait until my PB comes by and add more concrete to the pad... I am very tempted to go buy a bag of concrete and do it on my own...

43040149692_3c0bf83e3b_b.jpg

43040149292_57ea24b78e_b.jpg

Why do I feel like I am the general contractor/PB???

You paid or will pay good money so make them do it right. Have an open/stern conversation with PB and be sure to ask "Why do I feel like I am the general contractor/PB???". No reason for substandard work at premium prices!

OH MY! SO glad you checked!!! BUT...............really??? a USED puck feeder????????? That is NOT a "break down in communication"! That is......"lets see what we can get away with" and they got busted!!!

This is a very good reminder to "Trust yet verify" to the max!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I could tell PB was certainly a little embarrassed about the equipment goof ups... I have to give him a little slack since his partner/on-site manager was out of country for a few days... LOL

OH MY! SO glad you checked!!! BUT...............really??? a USED puck feeder????????? That is NOT a "break down in communication"! That is......"lets see what we can get away with" and they got busted!!!

This is a very good reminder to "Trust yet verify" to the max!

- - - Updated - - -

I hear you! I didn't have to say much to PB. He felt pretty bad about the mess up... PB says plumbing, equipment, electrical and coping will be done this week. I am going to sit back and watch if PB is going to keep his word.

You paid or will pay good money so make them do it right. Have an open/stern conversation with PB and be sure to ask "Why do I feel like I am the general contractor/PB???". No reason for substandard work at premium prices!

Quick update. Two workers came by last Friday, and added 2 feet of concrete to the equipment pad. Now, I have 10 feet long equipment pad. It should be spacious now.

I'm on a business trip again... It was a nice surprise to see those 16"x24" ivory travertine coping through my security camera! My pool build is supposed to kick into high gear this week by completing plumbing, electrical, equipment installation, and waterline glass tiles and coping. #crossfingers
42264927275_45e6da61ec_b.jpg

Just got back in town from a business trip yesterday. Here is a quick update...

- Coping is ~80% finished. Coping on 12" raised wall and around the spa needs to be finished. I am not too happy with the quality of the travertine coping... I found quite many of them had huge holes everywhere that has been filled in with grout... I know travertine stones have lots of holes, but I think this is unacceptable.. Is it my fault that I wanted 16"X24" coping tiles? Maybe it's impossible to find such large tiles without lots of holes... I don't know.. What do you guys think?

43290360591_2a6d05a70c_b.jpg

43290122291_2a91f3fbc0_b.jpg

43290123461_a39b0138cb_b.jpg

- Glass waterline tile installation is complete, but grout is not 100% done yet. Quality of the glass tile installation in highly visible spots of the pool seem to be good, but I found several places in "not so visible" spots of the pool that tiles don't line up very well.

What's funny is that I know that these trouble areas were done late in the day around 8PM before workers went home. Oh well, they will have to redo them...

28421389867_55d911031e_b.jpg

29420948908_dce9370b02_b.jpg

29420949528_a8cb16a588_b.jpg

- Equipment and plumbing complete. Sorry, too muddy to take pictures of the equipment pad. After confirming with my PB 3 times that I do not want the in-line chlorine puck dispenser, I come home to find a darn in-line chlorine puck dispenser installed on my equipment pad. Electrician who is installing Omnilogic is supposed to bring SWCG, so hopefully he knows to get rid of the in-line dispenser...

- Electrical sub came by and plumbed all the pool lights, but equipment are not wired yet.

- Instead of finding an autofill device, I found this hooked up to my outdoor faucet, and this PVC pipe runs all the way to the pool... This is absolutely not acceptable... because whenever I turn on this water faucet, it causes humming noise inside my house... What's funny is that I RE-confirmed with my PB last week that I included an autofill in the contract. I am so ready to yell at my PB tomorrow... WHERE IS MY AUTOFILL????

43241329502_a6758cea49_b.jpg

My patience is wearing thin on this PB...

Your travertine is pretty much what ours looks like. Some pieces are much smoother than others. I don’t mind the filled holes. These pieces are actually much less slippery than the other pieces. I’m assuming you have tumbled unhoned as we do? There is a huge variation with travertine in respect to its colour as texture. Ours was all A grade but so much variation. Tilers even sent one crate back as they weren’t happy with it.

The waterline tiles on the other hand are atrocious. I couldn’t / wouldn’t be able to live with that.

I think the coping is pretty like that but that is me.

Now that waterline tile...............NOPE!! REDO! The tile is SO pretty but man you can tell they gave up caring on those spots :(

gurrrrrrrrrr on the tablet feeder and "autofill".............can you say cookie cutter??? They always do it that way so don't even bother to notice you asked for DIFFERENT!!

At least you saw it before they were done so it can be fixed/changed to what you want!

That's good to know. Thanks for your input! Mine is tumbled, unhoned. I should recalibrate my expectation on travertine. Another thing I am a little concerned is that when I rubbed grout filled holes with my finger, white powder, sand like substance came off. I hope this doesn't continue. I don't want these ending up in my pool.

Your travertine is pretty much what ours looks like. Some pieces are much smoother than others. I don’t mind the filled holes. These pieces are actually much less slippery than the other pieces. I’m assuming you have tumbled unhoned as we do? There is a huge variation with travertine in respect to its colour as texture. Ours was all A grade but so much variation. Tilers even sent one crate back as they weren’t happy with it.

The waterline tiles on the other hand are atrocious. I couldn’t / wouldn’t be able to live with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.