Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a thread and post about my adventure in building a more serious AGP than a little kiddie we splashed in last year.

Last December I purchased an Intex Ultra XTR 12x24 with salt water system. Pool is still in the box until I have a proper ground base.

Base is almost done with leveled 16x28 pressure treated frame, compacted stabilized DG and pavers 16x16x4 flush with the surface. I have already used a diagram found on this site to position the pavers where the final legs location will be. Once I double-check all for level then I will be ready for next step: padding under the pool.

I think pool came with a tarp of some sort, but I want to do better than that under the liner.

I have read about many options to put under the pool liner: insulation foam, gorilla pad, fatigue rubber squares, others... I cannot find the XPS foam in any stores locally. I am thinking they don't carry as it is not that cold in this area, I don't know. I will keep looking. My next option would be gorilla pad, but that looks to not be enough as the felt is pretty thin. I found rubber mats at local Harbor Freight, but I am not sure about their durability under the 8k gallons of water.

Does anyone have an opinion about these choices or any other suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Is it worth spending a little more on thicker, unfaced foam board, which is available at my local Lowe's as well?

Insulfoam R-1.9 0.5-in x 4-ft x 8-ft 1 Faced Polystyrene Garage Door Foam Board Insulation​

Item #41503Model #1/2X48X96 R-TECH
  • Specifically developed for wall sheathing, basement insulation, siding underlayment and foundation insulation
  • Excellent insulating properties and moisture resistance
  • Poly-facer on both sides provide excellent durability and flexibility
  • $9.98
vs.

Kingspan Insulation R-3.7 0.75-in x 4-ft x 8-ft Unfaced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation​

Item #304087Model #100000050511
  • Does not absorb moisture
  • Lightweight, durable, easy to use
  • Meets and exceeds all type IV and type X specifications
  • $12.48

On Amazon I found 4" wide Polyethylene Coated Cloth Multi-Purpose Duct Tape (60 yards for $11.40).

I went with the .75 inch and have no issues, both will work :) I was not sure if .50 or .75 would see a difference so I just did it... LOL

I love the
  • Does not absorb moisture

Reactions: Newdude and bjmsam
This will be a weird question.
  • What does everyone mean by "triple tape" the foam?
  • one slice of tape centered on the seam and two others centered on the first slice edges?
  • How about the other/bottom side of the foam. Does it need any ?
I have been working on the pool electrical (trenching, conduit, outlet, etc) and a large side deck next to the pool area. I am almost ready to go back and assemble the pool.

I found the 0.5" thick foam at Lowes. Also looking at 0.75" potentially.
  • Was there any problem (dings or indents) when you stepped on foam while taping / laying the pool liner?
  • Should I make "snow shoes" :unsure:. I am thinking foot pressure is higher per square inch than 52" of water
  • if yes, did they go away once water applied even pressure?
I am also thinking of adding felt gorilla pad on top of the foam. Overkill?

Thank you.

I used .75 inch... worked perfect and no issues walking on it..

If you use the 3 inch gorilla tape you do not need to triple tape it, if you use the smaller stuff them do tripple just like you said..

I did not use any other pad :)

Reactions: BoringDamo
Finally ready to post some pictures. Pool is up and filled for a week.

Still trying to figure out the SWG/pump schedule.

Also enrolled my wife to do water measurements daily for two reasons: 1-get all chemistry balanced, 2 - getting used to the measurement process.
Salt, CYA in, helped chlorine with Bleach and had the SWG on Boost for a day.

Latest tests:
pH=7.5
FC=4.5
CC=0.5
CH=500
SALT=3600
TA=100 after muriatic acid (was 130 yesterday)
CYA = 65

Need to monitor CYA to bring it to 70 and lower the TA.

Attachments

• 20210423_090810.jpg
    20210423_090810.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210423_120142.jpg
    20210423_120142.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 20210424_112221.jpg
    20210424_112221.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 20210430_090311.jpg
    20210430_090311.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210430_092807.jpg
    20210430_092807.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 143

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally ready to post some pictures. Pool is up and filled for a week.

Still trying to figure out the SWG/pump schedule.

Also enrolled my wife to do water measurements daily for two reasons: 1-get all chemistry balanced, 2 - getting used to the measurement process.
Salt, CYA in, helped chlorine with Bleach and had the SWG on Boost for a day.

Latest tests:
pH=7.5
FC=4.5
CC=0.5
CH=500
SALT=3600
TA=100 after muriatic acid (was 130 yesterday)
CYA = 65

Need to monitor CYA to bring it to 70 and lower the TA.
How did you know where exactly to put leg pads/block before putting the pool up, also, what did you use for the block, this looks awesome and extremely level

Temelie, I'm so glad to see this. Your pool set up is *excellent*.... one to refer others to when they ask how to do it. :goodjob:

One of the great things about that Intex pattern on the liner- when the water sparkles like it does you can see everything so clearly!

Good for y'all in sharing the duties.... alas TFP pools tend to be boring and without anything you *have to* to them but swim! A lot of posters say the pools are so low maintenance they're looking for something to do!! :laughblue:

Maddie 🇺🇦

Welcome to TFP Kevin

It will not hurt anything.. there are about 70 tons of weight in the pool compacting the foam.. there is only about 1/4 inch difference between the 2.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.