New build in the design process

tkeon286

Oct 28, 2020
St. Augustine, FL
Hello all. We're getting ready to sign our contract and having just found this forum and seeing all the great ideas and suggestions I would like to get some expert takes on things we could do better or maybe things we haven't completely thought out. I'm really looking forward to your thoughts and very excited to get this project underway!

Attachments

• pool layout.png
    pool layout.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    613.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Pool 5.jpg
    Pool 5.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Pool 6.jpg
    Pool 6.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 64
I like your design, but with the rock waterfall I would personally have a raised wall from the spa all the way around to the waterfall and incorporate the firepit into that. I would probably also add a raised wall one the other side of the waterfall around the end of the pool some. To me the rock waterfalls can look out of place if they are the only rock in sight, so I would do the raised wall with matching stone to make it cohesive. With the raised wall in place i would likely eliminate the few feet of concrete around the back side of the pool to have more room for landscaping or grass. The smaller deck area in the back looks like it would be too small to be very useful for seating area anyway to me. There is a build on here that is just finishing up that is alot like what I am describing built by @Stoopalini , I will find a link.

One other thing to think about is if you want a bench or exit of some kind in the deep end of the pool. We did a bench with a small step from there for our dogs to be able to get out if they get stuck in the deep end ( no kids ).

Here is the link:

Reactions: Stoopalini
I agree with @spd500 and would recommend some design changes to try and make the grotto look more natural to the environment. In my build, we were very intentional about a final outcome where the waterfall looks more natural to the environment, rather than a stack of boulders sitting on the coping of a pool. My property is fairly expansive though, so this wasn't that difficult to pull off. If you're in a neighborhood with privacy fences in the backyard, it may be a bit more difficult to achieve.

Welcome to TFP. If you have not signed the contract yet, you may want to have a read of the following to ensure you got everything sorted out. Also I would recommend you buy your test kit now see Test Kits Compared and also read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

How to Pick a Pool Builder

How to Pick a Pool Builder - Trouble Free Pool

How to Select Pool Equipment

How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

Construction Tips & Best Practices

Construction Best Practices - Further Reading

Watering New Gunite & Concrete

Watering New Gunite and Concrete - Further Reading

Pool Start-Up Guidelines

Plaster Start-Up Guides - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.