Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone.

Long time lurker here from when I purchased my last home with a pool in 2013 till now. We recently bought a home without a pool and have received 6 or 7 designs and quotes from various builders.
The yard has a couple foot slope away from the house towards a canal, so this design uses the back wall of the pool to manage the elevation change instead of a separate retaining wall.
The attached design is what we are seriously leaning towards but have not yet signed a contract. We'll probably reach out to them after new years. If you can spare a moment, any critique or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Structural
16' 8" x 29' 6"
3.5 feet to 5.5 feet depth
#3 steel reinforcing bars 12 inches on center
Structural bond beam will be 8 inches thick and will have two #3 re-bars continuous around the pool perimeter and skimmers
Heavy-duty bar ties will be used to properly secure re-bar and concrete spacers will be used for even distribution of gunite around the steel
Minimum concrete strengths will be 4,000 psi at installation
Wall thickness between 6 and 8 inches
1 dewatering sump will be installed under deep end to control ground water
Well points and root pruning included

Finishes
Interior will ne hand trowled wite cement WetEdge exposed quartz aggregate
1 row of ceramic tile($5/sf allowance) at water line
Decorative trim will be bull nose brick coping

Circulation
Intellipro variable seed pump by Sta Rite industries
200 sf Posi Clear cartridge filter by sta rite
Intellichlor IC-20 chlorine generator
Dedicated suction vacuum line
Pentair lube free diverter valves
4 venturi surface returns
2 surface skimmers
1 unblockable channel drain
Bubbler and umbrella sleeve on sunshelf
Electrical
2 Globrite color changing LED underwater lights
Intelliconnect automation system
Valves will be manual

Decking
495 sf of travertine pavers($3.50 allowance)
Deck drains installed as shown on plan

Attachments

• 20201231_125225.jpg
    20201231_125225.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201231_130648.jpg
    20201231_130648.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201231_130625.jpg
    20201231_130625.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201231_130606.jpg
    20201231_130606.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 76
Hello! Few notes:
1. You should look into getting the microbrites or intellibrites instead of globrites...the globrites have a special niche and can only be replaced with globrites.
2. The pool isn't that long so I'm guessing you wont be doing laps but if that was your plan, you may want to move the lights off the ends so they aren't in your face...you could put them on the side near the house so they face away from the house.
3. I don't see the dimensions of the sunshelf...make sure it is wide enough to fit whatever you want on there (loungers, etc).
4. Will you have a cage? If not, you may want a larger filter so you don't have to clean it as often (you may want a larger one either way).
5. A lot of people on here like robots instead of vacuum lines, something to consider.
6. IC-20 is too small. I would get IC-40.
7. Do you want auto fill and/or overflow?

That's what I've come up with so far. :)

Hello! Few notes:
1. You should look into getting the microbrites or intellibrites instead of globrites...the globrites have a special niche and can only be replaced with globrites.
2. The pool isn't that long so I'm guessing you wont be doing laps but if that was your plan, you may want to move the lights off the ends so they aren't in your face...you could put them on the side near the house so they face away from the house.
3. I don't see the dimensions of the sunshelf...make sure it is wide enough to fit whatever you want on there (loungers, etc).
4. Will you have a cage? If not, you may want a larger filter so you don't have to clean it as often (you may want a larger one either way).
5. A lot of people on here like robots instead of vacuum lines, something to consider.
6. IC-20 is too small. I would get IC-40.
7. Do you want auto fill and/or overflow?

That's what I've come up with so far. :)

Thanks for the great feedback! Im a big fan of cool pool lighting effects so i need to research the light options you mentioned.
Ok I'm definitely going to move up to the ic40 and will probably increase filter size(no cage). Great question about the shelf size so I'll ask. I had the same thought about the vacuum line but not sure deleting it would save money, but I'll ask. I'll probably skip the auto fill to save costs.

Reactions: TampaKathy
Yeah, I didn't bother deleting the vacuum line either...just mentioning it b/c I know someone else will, haha. Also, if you want something other than the quartz plaster, ask for a list of the upcharges...it varies by surface and color.

I like the pool design it reminds me of a "grand piano"
Quick calculations is that you will have 16,000 to 17,000 gals so definitely go with a SWCG that is 2x your pool volume, i.e. IC40
Ensure your 2 skimmers are plumbed back to the equipment pad as independent runs with valve on each.
Ensure they use Jandy no-lube valves and not just ball valves. The Jandy valves are industry standard especially since you will manually operate them. Furthermore, if you every wanted to automate them for some reason you have that capability by purchasing an actuator that mounts directly on them.
Cleaners are a personal issue and lots of discussion on this forum. I have a pressure side cleaner which requires a booster pump and happy with it but one day I will migrate to a robot. Some believe the suction side cleaners are good as well as not needing a separate booster pump.
I have Wet Edge Technology plaster - did a refinish 3 seasons ago - and really enjoy it. Ensure the plaster company is an authorized installer so you obtain your full warranty.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: kevin76
Quick calculations is that you will have 16,000 to 17,000 gals so definitely go with a SWCG that is 2x your pool volume, i.e. IC40
Ensure your 2 skimmers are plumbed back to the equipment pad as independent runs with valve on each.
Ensure they use Jandy no-lube valves and not just ball valves. The Jandy valves are industry standard especially since you will manually operate them. Furthermore, if you every wanted to automate them for some reason you have that capability by purchasing an actuator that mounts directly on them.
Cleaners are a personal issue and lots of discussion on this forum. I have a pressure side cleaner which requires a booster pump and happy with it but one day I will migrate to a robot. Some believe the suction side cleaners are good as well as not needing a separate booster pump.
I have Wet Edge Technology plaster - did a refinish 3 seasons ago - and really enjoy it. Ensure the plaster company is an authorized installer so you obtain your full warranty.
Thanks for the advice, especially about the authorized instsller!

Oh BTW, the "grand piano" analogy is right on 👍 I think I'll steal that and use it when we have guests over.

I’ll chime in, not sure if you’re still deciding. But I would make sure all equipment is from one manufacturer. In the future if you want to upgrade your panel to have more automation you can be a little more sure they can communicate with each other. At least the pump, lights, and swg. Definitely don’t get anything smaller than a IC40.
For lights, I went with Micro brites. They are also Pentair and have multi color. They don’t use a proprietary niche and have a smaller mount. Also have them mounted on the wall closest to the house so they shine away, toward the canal.
I didn’t get an auto fill, but an over flow is needed and shouldn’t be any extra.
The controller they are offering will only control 2 items, one will have to be the pump. Then you can either control the lights or the bubbler. One is going to have to be manually operated. Unless you upgrade to either the Easy Touch or Intellicenter.

Thanks for the feedback! I signed the contract and upgraded to the IC40. We went back and forth on the lights and ultimately the PB convinced me that the globrites quality has improved based on observations of the number of call-outs for service. I may still changed my mind and will also reconsider the placement per your suggestion. I made sure they are not shining towards the house which is good, but maybe facing away from the house is even better.
Aa far as automation of the bubbler, that would be nice but would require automated valve as well I assume. Any guesstimate how much that upgrade would cost along with going up to the intellicenter?
I’ll chime in, not sure if you’re still deciding. But I would make sure all equipment is from one manufacturer. In the future if you want to upgrade your panel to have more automation you can be a little more sure they can communicate with each other. At least the pump, lights, and swg. Definitely don’t get anything smaller than a IC40.
For lights, I went with Micro brites. They are also Pentair and have multi color. They don’t use a proprietary niche and have a smaller mount. Also have them mounted on the wall closest to the house so they shine away, toward the canal.
I didn’t get an auto fill, but an over flow is needed and shouldn’t be any extra.
The controller they are offering will only control 2 items, one will have to be the pump. Then you can either control the lights or the bubbler. One is going to have to be manually operated. Unless you upgrade to either the Easy Touch or Intellicenter.

Thanks for the feedback! I signed the contract and upgraded to the IC40. We went back and forth on the lights and ultimately the PB convinced me that the globrites quality has improved based on observations of the number of call-outs for service. I may still changed my mind and will also reconsider the placement per your suggestion. I made sure they are not shining towards the house which is good, but maybe facing away from the house is even better.
Aa far as automation of the bubbler, that would be nice but would require automated valve as well I assume. Any guesstimate how much that upgrade would cost along with going up to the intellicenter?

Layout is done! They weren't supposed to start till May but permits were actually done pretty quick.
I was in a meeting when they finished up so didn't have a chance to ask questions...they wrote 10" and 12" at several points. Does that refer to wall thickness or something?
Also, does anyone know how the height of the framing translates to pool height above ground?
Oh, and they dug a test hole and hit water, so well points will be needed as expected.

Attachments

• 20210421_174211.jpg
    20210421_174211.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20210421_174549.jpg
    20210421_174549.jpg
    859.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210421_171906.jpg
    IMG_20210421_171906.jpg
    825.6 KB · Views: 28

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They told me last week that they would be here today but after all the rain earlier in the week I didn't expect to see them...figured they would have been backed up!
I wonder if this bodes well for our completion date or will everything grind to a screeching halt once we get a hole in the ground? Trying not to be too optimistic lol

Last edited:
As I predicted, the digging and rebar crews showed up yesterday morning with no advance notice lol. Nevertheless I was happy to see them. The dig and rebar was completed by end of day.

They dug out this massive boulder that must weigh a ton. Its probably 4.5ft x 3ft x2ft. I'm super excited about using it in my landscaping, but now that thr heavy machinery is gone I will have to figure out how to move it where I want. Has anyone else done anything interesting with rocks this size that were uncovered?

Attachments

• 20210513_120125.jpg
    20210513_120125.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210513_192309.jpg
    20210513_192309.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Slapulator
They dug out this massive boulder that must weigh a ton. Its probably 4.5ft x 3ft x2ft. I'm super excited about using it in my landscaping, but now that the heavy machinery is gone I will have to figure out how to move it where I want. Has anyone else done anything interesting with rocks this size that were uncovered?

Attachments

• 20210513_122508.jpg
    20210513_122508.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 33
The coping and waterline tile were done about a month ago. Currently awaiting plumbing and electrical. We were told tentatively end of last week but that didn't happen so fingers crossed they come tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210808_123409.jpg
    20210808_123409.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210808_123426.jpg
    20210808_123426.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210808_123031.jpg
    20210808_123031.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 41
While the agonizingly slow build process continues, we decided to go ahead and have our 4 palm trees planted once the deck footers were poured.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.