New Build in Southern WI

allisen

Aug 1, 2019
Southern WI
Hi Everyone! I've been dreaming about getting a pool for quite some time and we're finally going to do it. We're doing a whole backyard overhaul including deck, pool, and shed/screened porch. I'd love any advice as far as our pool quote goes as this is something I have little experience with, here are the specs...

- 16x32 steel wall vinyl liner pool kit
- Pentair microbrite led light 100' cord
- Dolphin M400 IG robotic cleaner w/wifi and caddy
- single body control with SCG
- 3HP 230V intelliflo VSF variable speed/flow pump, SPP STK
- 26" 3.5sqft TM cristal-flo II filter w/MPV
- 200k BTU NG IID mastertemp low nox heater
- 20ml 16x32 merlin liner
- 54" .049 SS 3 bend braced DM stair rail
- 24" 3-step econcomy ladder w/hip tread
- Econo triangular vacuum
- Telepole 8-16" w/lock and grip
- 1.5"x50' backwash hose
- Vac hose 1.5" x 45'
- skimmer net blue handle

Things I'm thinking about...
- I'm really having a hard time deciding on depth. I'm thinking of going without a deep end. Any experience? What is a good depth where kids can still cannonball but people can use the whole pool?
- Anyone have experience good or bad with an auto cover? Especially in a cold winter climate?

Attachments

• Plan.pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 11
Hey there. Welcome to TFP! Sounds like a great project. If you want to really get in the spirit, call that shed/screen house a pool house.

One popular depth profile here for that size pool is 4-5-4. Good for sports, most people can stand in most of it. Not too shallow. We have an autocover though we don’t use it for the winter. We have a mesh safety cover. An autocover is going to be in the $10-15K range, maybe more bit not less. We really like ours. In addition to safety and cleanliness, it allows you to close later and open early because it keeps the leaves out in the fall and the oak debris out in the spring. Repairs are expensive when needed. It’s like a car.

Will you have any automation? Good choice going with a SWG. Which model # is it?

Hey there. Welcome to TFP! Sounds like a great project. If you want to really get in the spirit, call that shed/screen house a pool house.

One popular depth profile here for that size pool is 4-5-4. Good for sports, most people can stand in most of it. Not too shallow. We have an autocover though we don’t use it for the winter. We have a mesh safety cover. An autocover is going to be in the $10-15K range, maybe more bit not less. We really like ours. In addition to safety and cleanliness, it allows you to close later and open early because it keeps the leaves out in the fall and the oak debris out in the spring. Repairs are expensive when needed. It’s like a car.

Will you have any automation? Good choice going with a SWG. Which model # is it?
Thanks!!! Pool house it is ;)

Sorry to be such a novice, I copied those specs directly off the quote from our landscape builder so I don't have any more info than that right now. We haven't gone to talk with the pool people yet. We will hopefully do that this week. Should I be looking for a specific model, or models to avoid? Any other questions I should ask the pool company based on this list? As far as your auto cover is that something you've had repair regularly, or how often would you say? I understand that it's bound to have issues, but I really don't want something that I'm going to have to sink a ton of money into every year to get it up and working.

I've been considering a sport pool profile like you mentioned. Despite what is quoted, I would also really like to do full length steps where the second or third step is extended to create a sun shelf for adults to sit and little non-swimmers to hang out. This will obviously shorten up the usable pool area after that. Would a 4-5-4 profile still work with that. Or would we be better just going from like 4-5 across the whole pool or maybe a little deeper for jumping (not diving)? Also is that water depth or total depth, I have learned after perusing the forums to make sure everyone is talking the same "depth" there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.