New build in South Louisiana...

jjwalker

Silver Supporter
Aug 23, 2012
S. Louisiana
been waiting about two years to start this thread, was going to build last Spring and the great flood of 2016 got us. didn't really have time for a pool trying to get our house back together...but alas!!! it is finally happening.

here are our proverbial pics: enjoy your weekend, cause I probably won't lol

part of the wall system
image_zpseakrax5m.jpeg

some more of the goodies
image_zpsgjdddr5l.jpeg

and finally the backyard, don't criticize too much, my yardwork has taken a back seat to the house
image_zpsdvnpu5on.jpeg

What I love is you ALREADY have 147 posts! LOL and are just not getting your own pool! I am so happy for you!

Are you doing the yard prep work yourself? Do you have a diggy digger?

Is this an above ground pool or in ground?

You have a great yard! Room for the pool and play area still! NICE!

Kim:kim:

I do have a digger...he's about a week out. still haven't rec'd the liner or steps which are due in about another week.

it's an in ground vinyl from royalswimmingpools.com. deer creek, 18x36. it has a tanning ledge...well heck, i'll just post the pic

IMG_0837_zpsc5xu53ls.jpg

so the 'hump' in the pool will be facing away from the house and I'm building a pool house that will straddle the 'baby bump' (for lack of a better term)...complete with outdoor kitchen/TV yadada...

I got the cantilever edge coping, so I'm thinking I will run a concrete 12" bond around the pool edge and color it before I pour the rest of the decking. and then work on the landscaping which I have a lot of ideas for and will be my favorite part :)

that's about it

I do have my test kit! ordered when I ordered the pool...

and today I tested my well water, so help me out on the proper order of listing...

TC (total chlorine, right?) 0
FC (free chlorine, right?) 0
CC (combined?) 0
ph 6.8
TA 90
CH 0
CYA did not test

how am I looking? looks like I will have to raise ph, we have a neutralizer on our well already to raise ph, if not our ph right out of the ground is around 5.8

we also just put in a dual head softener to remove manganese, and while our water here is generally soft, I don't expect calcium to be an issue.

IMG_1017_zpsar9ya6cs.jpg

IMG_1020_zps6uehhb3p.jpg

IMG_1023_zpsoyyfmmfh.jpg

IMG_1026_zpsgh6je5ka.jpg

so we have water!! :snorkle::paddle:

they got a lot done today, a lot! can't walk on the pool floor for 48 hours :bummer:... our little girl is about to come unglued with excitement, so are mom and dad.

so the fun begins in a day or two, turning on the pump, circulating water, and actually beginning to put something called chemicals in????

i'll def need all hands on deck to help with what goes when where.

but for now...:kim: :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jj, I will in and out. We can get you started on what you need if you will pull a water sample from the hose you are filling with and test it now. That way I can tell you what to go ahead and by to be ready! Do NOT bother testing the CYA as it has to be added.

Have you played with Pool Math at all yet? Look in my siggy below for a link.

I want you to find out how much CYA you will need to get your pool to 30 CYA. Put that amount on your shopping list.

Shopping list for pools:

-2 plastic measuring cups (2 cup size) one for muratic acid and one for all others

-1 plastic plate for holding up behind the PH test tube

-1 condiment bottle for getting the water sample. It is great for squirting the water into the tubes.

-CYA-as much as your above "job" with pool math told you to get

-chlorine/bleach-find your easiest to get to on a weekly bases. Some use Walmart store brand bleach, some use Pool store chlorine. You do some pricing and looking around and find what works best for you.

This should keep you busy for a little while. Let your little "help" with the testing. She can get the water sample and squirt the water in the tubes as needed.

I can't wait to see it full!

:hug:

so the pool finished filling almost to the skimmer Sat morning...left the house to a dance recital, and while we were gone, the bottom (of the sky) fell out. We got home to a pool running over the top...lol and a muddy mess around it.

I hadn't even turned the pump on (trying to figure out the 2 spd timer), so I got it primed, running, pumped out who knows how much pool water to drop it to skimmer height...yada yada yada.

so, per pool math I'm putting in 60oz of CYA as I type this.

tested the water, here are results

Cl 0

ph <6.8 (we have very acidic well water)

CH 150

TA 40

CYA did not test

so, CYA is going to take a while to register on the test kit, correct? about how long? and should I be adding chlorine yet?

PM says to add 60oz of Borax to raise my ph from 6.8 to 7.2. that's team mule borax, correct?

not sure if I understand PM, why does it say Goal: not Setup? don't understand that

and it says to add 96oz of bleach...do I add that now? or wait til CYA dissolves?

Thanks, J

It says NOW as in what it is right when you test. The GOAL is what you want it to be according to this chart:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

CYA-once the CYA is all dissolved and had a chance to mix in it should show on the test. We did major testing last year on how fast it shows on the test adding it different ways. Guess who got the "squeeze it all out right away while running the pump on high then brush it for good measure then measure it" job??? yeah ME! LOL My poor hands BUT I was able to measure it with in two hours of it all being dissolved.

I would go ahead and add the bleach now. You do not want to give algae any chance of find a home in your pool!

Pushing PH up............yes you can use the borax or you can turn the return up and let that push the PH up or throw you supervisor in and let him cannonball it up LOL

you were right Kim, CYA showed up ASAP...after reading for 2 yrs about the difficulty on reading the CYA test, I thought it was pretty straight forward. the dot became obscure between 25-30.

anyhow, so I added a gal of bleach (8%) and disaster struck...the water turned brownish green, which I was half way expecting...our well water has ~.1ppm of manganese (very similar to iron) in it and the bleach made it fall out :(

so, I am cutting up an old pillow and stuffing the contents into the skimmer basket and see if I can't filter that stuff out. anyone else have any suggestions on filtering/sequestering the manganese?

so here are my readings as of now

FC 4
CC 0
PH <6.8
CH 150
TA 40
CYA 30 (?) I'm gonna call it 30

thanks for the help Kim

J

ps...the speed stir is freaking awesome! worth the 20 or so extra bucks easily!

Hi jj. I am the "bad water person" Kim called for elp...sorry I didn't get free til now to respond, its kinda hectic around here lately ;)

So, I have 2 ppm iron in my well water, but also have trace amounts of maganese. My question for you is are you sure you don't have iron as well? The two are often found together...

Maganese typically stains more blackish. I'd have expected it to have given the water a purplish hue if oxidized. Since I have iron and only had discolored water once during recovery of a black water foreclosure swamp, I might be out of my proverbial depth here though ;)

With that grain of salt, If the maganese has oxidized, you may get purplish-black staining.

Your filtering is a good first step. But the more effective filtering should be either a two-stage reducing set of filters, or at a minimum, a 25 micron to 1 micron reducing filter.

A build up of maganese will require MORE sequestrant than typical for iron lane, so I'd make every effort to FILTER first to remve as much as possible. When you apply a sequestrant, it with put the maganese back in solution, and since its in your source water, accumulation could mean a heavy diet of sequestrant.

So, for future fill water AND right now with sme extra rigging, here's what I would try -- I'm figuring it would be worth the investment because you will later want to re-rig this system to your spigot for top ups ;):

Get one, or two of the Pentek 10" filter housing: https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-Big-Blue-Filter-Housing/dp/B00BI4HXJ8

Likewise, get either a 5 micron and then a 1 micron, OR a 25 mcron to 1 micron reducing filter if using a single housing. (I will post a link in am...gotta run right now.)

Using a small pump and hoses, connect filter(s) and send a return back to pool. In ths way, you will be "filtering" it down.

Run this in addition to your filter for a few days and see if this helps it clear.

Once clear, use a double start up of sequestrant (are you saltwater or regular chlorine pool? That will determine which type...Jacks purple for salt, or maybe metal magic for regular.)

Let me know if you have questions...I'll check back in am ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.