New Build in SoCal - Pebble tomorrow, Start up Saturday

We wanted to still be dry if we were in our chaise so we went shallow - 7”. Just ask yourself how you want to use it. We don’t have younger kids but if any visit, they can still splash around safely.

I really didn’t want my butt wet if I were in a chaise.

Ours is about 6-8 inches depending on water level. The sun shelf is the same height as our first step. For us it is good with the 1 yr old granddaughter to sit splash and crawl in and fine for our Omega lounge chairs. We also have bubblers in the sun shelf and any deeper than this would not allow them to work as well.

If the spa question is cooling the spa down, couldn’t the sheer descent going into the spa just be plumbed to use spa water as the source? This would require a second pump if I’m thinking about that correctly. But its only money. Hopefully someone else comments on the feasibility of this, or a different solution. I think regular temperature pool water spilling into the spa will cost money in heating anyway and maybe also not be that comfortable.

Or just never run it while you use it.

I have two sheer decents in my pool plan that I would love to uplight from underneath, but my pool is small and I don't want to build a shelf under them. Is there any way to light them up from the pool without putting a shelf under them? Could you use antiglare shields turned upside down? I know, I'm reaching there.

Thoughts?

Well after over 2 months of waiting for financing and then permitting, things are beginning to move on my project. Today we demo'd the entire back yard, which was almost all concrete. They aren't quite finished, so they will finish up tomorrow. Also tomorrow I meet with my designer and project manager. We will make some final changes in the design and then it's time to get going on the pool dig. Here are the before, during, and after demo pics.

Attachments

• Backyard 1.jpg
    Backyard 1.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Backyard 2.jpg
    Backyard 2.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 89
  • backyard 3.jpg
    backyard 3.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Backyard Demo 1.jpg
    Backyard Demo 1.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Backyard demo #2.jpg
    Backyard demo #2.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 99
  • finish demo #1.jpg
    finish demo #1.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Lineman7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was some thick, well done concrete! How did they break it up? Bet your neighbors (and you) were glad when they were done!
It took them two days to break it all up in the back and along the side of the yard and take down the wall. He used a bobcat like machine with an attached jackhammer to break up all the stuff in the back, but the side was too narrow and they had to do that by hand. It was LOUD for two days. Fortunately, I have wonderful neighbors who totally put up with it.

Good news, I had the PB out yesterday and we are ready to dig! They said no later than a week from now. We have been waiting so long (mainly on financing), but it sounds like they want to move fast now.

I just bought 3 more big boulders to go around the pool. They want coping and decking picked out ASAP. So I am working on that this week. I will be posting choices later because I will need HELP picking that out from all the fantastic people here.

We also decided to add more lights. We now have two intellibrites in the pool and we are putting a microbrite on the ledge.

We're digging today!! Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for while they are digging?

We did hit one snafu yesterday when they were laying out the pool shape. We have three big queen palms that I am trying to keep. Yesterday when he was marking the back wall of the pool, the bond beam went right through the front of the palm. That obviously won't work. So we either had to move the pool over (there is not a lot of room in my tiny back yard), or move the wall around the palm, or halt the whole project and take the palm out. We opted for option 2. I have a free form pool, so we think it will work. We are going to have a 2-1/2 foot radius arch around the tree. See pic below.

What do you guys think? Was that the right solution?

Attachments

• Queen palm work around.jpg
    Queen palm work around.jpg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Lineman7
I would remove the palm! My neighbors have palm trees and the strings that they shed that get in the pool are a pain.

Need help with coping. The poor is a freeform rustic feel. There are large boulders that will be placed around it. The plan is to do a quartzite flagstone coping and then belgard concrete pavers for decking with some standout areas with the flagstone.
I was informed today that my pool supplier has basically run out of quartzite flagstone. She sent me out to the rock companies to pick it out there. They also have limited supply. I am down to two colors.
With limited supply I need to decide NOW.

I need help. @kimkats
The two flagstone choices are Cordova Chocolate and Sunset Gold. The pavers are Belgard in either Monteceito (lighter) or Bella (darker). I'm leaning towards Monteceito. Cordova Chocolate has more browns and the sunset gold is a mix of golds and silvers. My large boulders are gold.

Pic #1 are the two pavers
Pic #2 is the Cordova chocolate flagstone
pic #3 is the sunset gold (both pieces in the pic are sunset gold)
pic #4 is all the pavers and the flagstone

Attachments

• Pavers.jpg
    Pavers.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Cordova chocolate flagstone.jpg
    Cordova chocolate flagstone.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 25
  • sunset Gold flagstone.jpg
    sunset Gold flagstone.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 26
  • All flagstone and both pavers.jpg
    All flagstone and both pavers.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 26
This one is SO easy!!! Ready???

Pavers= Monteceito (lighter) slam dunk! I just don't care for the look of the darker one. It is plain and not really "pretty".

Coping= sunset gold is a mix of golds and silvers !!!! Did you REALLY think I would pick something other than the "bling" one? LOL I LOVE how it looks with the light pavers!!!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.