New Build In SC - Pretty sure it'll be fiberglass but would love some feedback.

Jun 13, 2018
Irmo, SC
Hi All,

First, thanks for this forum and I'm so glad I found it! I know this has been discussed before, but since there are new advances in gunite and fiberglass all the time, I wanted to ask again.

We've gotten quotes on both fiberglass and gunite. Fiberglass was $44,000; gunite was $50,000 (everything included in both quotes). 4ft shallow and 6ft deep end, 15x34

I prefer the look of gunite but the claim of low maintenance for fiberglass is VERY appealing (both money and time). We're leaning heavily toward fiberglass but would love to hear your thoughts. It's a lot of money for us!

Here are my questions:

1) If both pools are salt water, does gunite still require more chemicals than fiberglass?

2) Gunite guy said his pools don't need to be replastered for 20-25 years if you take proper care of the water. I've read every 7-10 years. This pool contractor is very respected. What's been your experience?

3) If you have fiberglass with waterline tile, how has it held up? Would you do it again?

4). Has anyone been an owner to both fiberglass and gunite? How does the maintenance compare in time and money?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from you!
Christine

I have had 1 gunite pool, and 2 fiberglass pools. The each have their own appeals. With gunite, you can customize the pool to the space available. With fiberglass, you are kinda stuck with certain manufacture's designs. Fiberglass is easier to care for, but gel-coat is susceptible to staining and fading. With gunite, you need to be more careful with balancing you water. If the plaster in a gunite pool fails or gives you trouble, you can replaster, where as with fiberglass, refinishing is a difficult proposition. As far as waterline tile, I wouldn't have a pool without it. Installation is about the same, though grouting fiberglass with silicone grout is a bit tedious. Whatever you choose, you are on the right side to properly and painlessly care for it.
Have fun with the process!
Jim