New Build in Savannah GA-Owner Build (OB)

msilcox2

May 19, 2020
Savannah GA
After speaking with several local builders, my wife has decided the lead time on getting our pool is simply to long for her to wait since it would be next spring before we would be able to enjoy it. After much research and reading on here, we have decided we will build our own vinyl liner pool. Using the information and design ideas of the 3 PB companies that did show up to give us quotes here is what we have come up with.

20' x 41' x 30' L Shaped Pool 27mil liner
Tanning ledge 6 x16 with 2 steps at end of L
6' swimout bench in deep end
Pump Hayward Tristar Vs950 Variable Speed Pump
Filter - 30" Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter, 10 Sand Bags, 2"
Chlorination - Hayward OmniLogic Cat5 Smart Phone Controlled 40k Salt System
Main Drain 2 skimmers and 4 returns
2 color logic 12v lights and 1 nichless light w/ 12v transformer
hayward universal h series 400k-btu
Dolphin Nautilus Plus pool cleaner

a few misc things like step jets I'm still working on plumbing design for, and 2 LED bubbler's my wife keeps trying to slip in there.

Sp far we have gone out and quotes all of our equipment and lead times, and applied for the building permit today. As soon as we get the ok for our setback from the permit office we plan on ordering equipment and getting ready to get our project rolling along.
Any thoughts on our equipment choices?

Welcome to TFP.

Your equipment list looks good for Hayward. Have you looked at the equivalent Pentair configuration? Have you checked on what your warranties will be with Hayward equipment depending on who you have install it? Pentair seems more friendly to the DIY world.

Construction Best Practices - Further Reading may have useful information for you.

Welcome to TFP.

Your equipment list looks good for Hayward. Have you looked at the equivalent Pentair configuration? Have you checked on what your warranties will be with Hayward equipment depending on who you have install it? Pentair seems more friendly to the DIY world.

Construction Best Practices - Further Reading may have useful information for you.
I have in fact, what I posted was what we first decided on, then after reading on here about the Pentair preference, I priced out my "dream Pentair" setup, it wasn't perfect since the Intellicenter isn't available online where I could find it, but dropping down a level wasn't to bad, I even prefer the Pentair SWG and vs pump, but just didn't want to mix equipment due to automation. Then I did research the warranty options, since I had read on here on mostly older post about the anti DIY slant of Hayward. I'm not sure if times have changed, or I'm missing something in the warranty information I was able to find on line, as my research shows pretty much the opposite. Most of the Pentair equipment, if ordered online, falls under the "TradeGrade" warranty plan, which will only give me a 60 day warranty vs the 1 year from Hayward. If I am missing something on the warranty, I'd prefer the Pentair for everything except the lighting.

Buy the IntelliCenter and other a Pentair equipment at...

Pentairs definition of “professional installation “ is very loose. I would think you would have a plumber or electrician do some of the work that would qualify and give you an invoice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.