New Build in Phoenix Az. - NoFear!

I see that they are fixin to run the main drain through the skimmer...if its not too late, I'd ask them to run that drain line all the way to the pad, separate from the skimmer line. It's nice to he able to control where the suction is coming from.

Melt In The Sun said:
I see that they are fixin to run the main drain through the skimmer...if its not too late, I'd ask them to run that drain line all the way to the pad, separate from the skimmer line. It's nice to he able to control where the suction is coming from.

Mine is through the skimmer as well. It would make it easier if it was plumbed to the pad. Why dont they just design it to the pad from the get go? I'm willing to bet that the majority are plumbed through the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
]Is that blue your waterline tile? It will really show up the inevitable calcium line that will soon appear. I was a realist and picked an off white tile to match the calcium scale that is unavoidable in AZ.

photo-1.jpg

Shane1 said:
Melt In The Sun said:

Mine is through the skimmer as well. It would make it easier if it was plumbed to the pad. Why dont they just design it to the pad from the get go? I'm willing to bet that the majority are plumbed through the skimmer.

I talked to the pool builder on this...it was about another $200 to have it plumbed this way. Most likely the extra labor and materials.

My 2 cents worth. Palm trees really don't make that much mess around the pool. Although the comment about them getting big and (hardish) to trim is true. I've got 3-10y/o Queen palms around my pool. Whole fronds rarely (almost never) fall in my pool and the frond leaves (for lack of a better term) are almost always sucked up by the Hayward. I have 3 pigmy date palms around the pool as well. No issues with those other than the dang thorns are rough on the hands when you trim them. I've got 3 fountain type grass plants, an aloe and a rosemary bush all pretty much up against my 2’ cool deck surrounding my pool. None of those are really an issue with debris in the pool. I have more problems with my neighbors trees blowing c rap into the pool than I do with my landscape. Your neighbor’s palo verde is going to be fun during blooming season. :)

I’ve got the same blue tile. The first year no calcium build up. Years 2-8 lots of scrubbing with a pumice stone. Year 9, I realized I could dissolve it with muriatic acid a light brushing with a bush. Last year I found this place and learned how to keep the PH down and it looks like this year will be very minimal (if any) work to get rid of calcium.

I’ve got the same 1 light, and the same drain thru the skimmer. There is a device in the skimmer that (is supposed to) shut it off when the water level drops below the skimmer and it starts pulling from just the drains. I’ve never tried to drain the pool using the main drains so I’m not sure how that will work. As far as the light goes. I remember using it more when we first got the pool. The last 6 years or so, hardly ever. Last year it went out and I didn’t bother to replace it. I’ll probably do it this year.

One other thing to think about is the size of landscape rock you’re planning on using. I’ve got fairly good sized rock around my pool and still somehow pea sized rocks get in the pool and hang the Hayward up. That’s something you usually catch pretty quick in the summer, but in the winter when you leave for work before light, get home from work after dark, and have the pool on an auto timer to run at night, you usually don’t catch that the cleaner is hung up until the weekend, by then the pool is full of c rap cause the cleaner has been spinning out in one spot all week. I’m not sure what the best size rock is, but it’s something to consider when you’re doing your landscaping.

Great looking pool design! There are two things I wished I’d done on my pool, 1) that little wading area you’re having done (pretty standard now), and 2) not listened to my FIL and gone with a built in cleaning system. The Hayward works great, but replacing the parts is pretty $$.

CLB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.