Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Red mark on diagram is for skimmer, the yard the red is where the pool is being placed.

IMG_6219.jpegIMG_6180-2.jpeg

Does the Pentair Intellivalve Actuator have the capability to be controlled fully now by the Intellicenter? I found some stuff from a few years ago that says it is still actuator style "on/off" and not able to go to every position through automation?

The only things I'm looking to have on an actuator would be bubblers and a diverter from heater.

Thanks

Old Post:
1. Our backyard has an easy slope to the patio of about a foot. Instead of opting for the usual retaining wall, my husband (a design freak) wants the pool to lift up or be raised. This is reflected in one of the pics. Based on the grade the maximum lift will be about 12-16 inches which will be the side of the pool towards the house.

2. No SPA. I know I will never use it as I don’t care much for hot tubs.

I have a question in regards to the Intellicenter. I know my pool is small - 78 ft perimeter and approx 8300-8400 gallons. Originally the builder had planned on a dual timer pool control. I asked about app control via phone and we talked about Intellicenter. I am not 100% sure its worth the cost in upgrade. We will not have any waterfalls, spa, etc. Right now it seems our pump, SWG, heater, bubblers and lights are the only things we would connect. I know an easy touch would be sufficient but seems similar in price to Intellicenter once you add the screen logic. Is this easy to upgrade a few years from now and start with the dual timer?

Thanks for any insight/help!

Attachments

• IMG_6156.jpeg
    IMG_6156.jpeg
    982.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6157.jpeg
    IMG_6157.jpeg
    700.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6203.JPG
    IMG_6203.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
One advantage of an IntelliCenter (or Easytouch) over the timers is that your circuit breakers can be incorporated into the same cabinet. With timers, they will need to connect to the circuit breakers either through a subpanel or directly from the main home electrical box. Also, if you wish to have landscape lights you can connect those to the automation panel.

Also, since you have a SWCG and VS Pump it will be easier to program and control those through a common interface such as an IntelliCenter. You also show to have a booster pump, so that is yet another item to control via the IntelliCenter.

Furthermore, there is the convenience factor of having PC and phone app control to everything vs. manual activities with a timer.

Hopefully the PB is giving you a package price where the IntelliCenter includes the SWCG and 2 valve actuators.

Reactions: sneakykitty
We also did a raised build into a slope. We also have steps up to a regular rectangle like yours. We are really happy with that decision. I told our builder how people reacted positively to his design when they saw it and he told me it’s because it’s raised.

We also did a raised build into a slope. We also have steps up to a regular rectangle like yours. We are really happy with that decision. I told our builder how people reacted positively to his design when they saw it and he told me it’s because it’s raised.
I would love to see pictures if you have some!!!! It’s so hard to find anything like what we are building but I’m super pumped about it.

Is this easy to upgrade a few years from now and start with the dual timer?

Kit,

The time to install an automation system is when the pool is being built..

I have installed two EasyTouch systems at already built pools, and had an EasyTouch installed at my house when the pool was built..

The two units installed at existing pools could not be fully installed just due to the decking that was in the way.. I could have ripped up the decking, but it just did not make much sense.

In the big picture, the cost of automation is a pretty small percentage of the overall cost of a pool's construction.

I have a very simple pool and love my EasyTouch with ScreenLogic. I use it, to some degree, everyday... But, if I were to build another pool I would install an IntelliCenter.. Not doing so, would be like buying an iPhone 1, when for the same price you could buy the latest iPhone XX.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim! I didn't think about it like that. I will stay with Intellicenter and double check the builder has it packaged with the SWCG and valve actuators.

Hi. I sent pm. Yes it’s hard to find photos of, especially without having found a site like this until construction. Seeing it post gunite I was relieved. Vertical would look amazing if possible.

Yeah we are super hoping this works!!!! Here are some pics of the backyard......we really want to keep 1/2 it for yard.... So the pool will be where the circle is and back towards the pine trees Occupying the right 1/3 of the yard

Attachments

• IMG_6180.jpeg
    IMG_6180.jpeg
    545 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Cena_sea
Kit,

At the current time, actuators still only have two positions... That does not mean On or Off.. You can set the two positions, but the actuator can only move from one position to the other position. You still can't have three positions.

Two skimmers work better than one, but a lot of pools only have one skimmer and they work just fine. If you can't work two skimmers into your design, then I would not make a big deal about it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW. We use our integrated spa more often than the whole pool. The spa can be isolated in the water flow, so we can get it to 95+ degrees in just a few minutes even in winter (OK, southeast Texas may not be a fair comparison.) It takes about 20-25 minutes per degree to heat the whole pool. Also my wife likes it 90+ any time, while with no heater in summer, the water temp is 82-85. 15 minutes and the spa is ready for two two of us and a bottle of Prosecco any time. OTOH, the sun shelf is never used. Waste of perimeter. We'd have done better to just have stairs the full end of the pool. One skimmer at the downwind end or side of the pool should be fine, assuming you also have a main drain at least partway open all the time to protect the pump in the event your skimmer gets blocked.

I really like the side plan design. It looks clean and modern with those two mini walls and the big rectangular concrete stepping blocks. That side area feels thought out and will look good from multiple views. I look forward to seeing your pool!

So far things seem to be going so well and smooth for us. They started digging Wednesday, plumbing and rebar came out yesterday and today. I'm at work so I haven't see today's progress, but wanted to share some photos. Our pool will be raised with the slope, so approx 14 inches at the front where the steps are. So we will have a step up and into the pool, which we like!

Secondly, we got asked if we were okay with light placement. We did on the left side of pool if facing it from our patio/house. Right now it is 1 Pentair IntelliBrite. The light will be on the 26' length in the middle. In your experiences, is this enough?

Attachments

• IMG_6603.JPG
    IMG_6603.JPG
    954 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6599.JPG
    IMG_6599.JPG
    865.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    774.4 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: renesme
Gunite!!! So fun to watch every process. Our PB has been amazing. He hung out with us on dig day for 4-5 hours and then again another 4-5 hours on gunite day. Explained everything that was happening and was constantly talking with the crews to make sure all measurements were on the mark. We have the pool lifted about 12-14 inches, on purpose. We have been very specific on angles, depths etc. We are trying to integrate the pool into a modern, straight lines house and yard. I feel blessed that we get along with our PB and he has been so available and on the site after reading so much here! Thanks to all for the advice along the way so far

Attachments

• 68C2E2E6-0B2B-441E-92C4-ED00A8B8ADA7.jpeg
    68C2E2E6-0B2B-441E-92C4-ED00A8B8ADA7.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 244CE067-F082-4B86-8377-B86D65D7AB2B.jpeg
    244CE067-F082-4B86-8377-B86D65D7AB2B.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 53
  • FBAB2E69-7B9E-432F-BE0E-6B850C947E57.jpeg
    FBAB2E69-7B9E-432F-BE0E-6B850C947E57.jpeg
    720 KB · Views: 50
  • 28B627D6-9527-409B-93CF-1154AFA3141C.jpeg
    28B627D6-9527-409B-93CF-1154AFA3141C.jpeg
    649.3 KB · Views: 52
The gunite looks great and I really like the pool layout in your yard! It feels modern and that little bit different makes a difference. I always thought gunite was the best step in the process because you could really see the pool.

Last edited:
Since I last posted we have had lots of movement! Tile, coping, and concrete decking have all been completed. It's amazing seeing it come together from our brains to paper to yard. I know our style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we are loving the raised pool! The bigger concrete pad in the back by the trees will be for loungers (we measured everything 100 times to make sure it was big enough)! We did a travertine coping (here in Oklahoma it was called Athens/Haze). The tile is Aquabella 6 x 24 tile color Obsidian.

Attachments

• IMG_7541.jpeg
    IMG_7541.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7542.jpg
    IMG_7542.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7544.jpg
    IMG_7544.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 37
. I know our style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we are loving the raised pool!
You ain't gonna find anyone who doesn't like *that* You just ain't. :)

But even if you did, we all cheer when someone gets their best pool.

Bravo on both counts !!

• Love
Reactions: NWS and sneakykitty
Since I last posted we have had lots of movement! Tile, coping, and concrete decking have all been completed. It's amazing seeing it come together from our brains to paper to yard. I know our style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but we are loving the raised pool! The bigger concrete pad in the back by the trees will be for loungers (we measured everything 100 times to make sure it was big enough)! We did a travertine coping (here in Oklahoma it was called Athens/Haze). The tile is Aquabella 6 x 24 tile color Obsidian.
I love the raised look! Very modern and goes well with your paver & rock decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.