New Build in Ohio

LOL You sure are a part of our wonderful community!! :hug:

Have you tested your fill water yet? If not please do so now. Don't bother testing the CYA as it has to be added so your fill water will not have any yet. This will allow me to tell you what to have on hand for when you get water in the pool.

Kim:kim:

Haven't tested the fill water yet. Just did pH when I got the kit (7.6). Planning on running tests tomorrow.
Had to go back to work this week :( since the PB doesn't have an ETA on finishing due to the weather around here.
Today was good. They got the decking poured and the initial grading done. They did manage to break a panel on my neighbor's fence today.
Also, ran the electric, SWG was mounted, etc. I, believe, they are dropping the liner tomorrow and finishing the plumbing to the equipment (not sure about equipment).
Weather permitting, should be done this week!
If they get the liner in tomorrow, I'll post pics.

Attachments

• 20190429_180152.jpg
    20190429_180152.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: BuckeyeMac
@DorsalSpine - Another Buckeye neighbor!

As you can see from the attached, liner is done. Actually, construction is done.
Waiting to fill the pool until tomorrow. Our summer water rates kick in which doesn't include sewage rates; SO, saving some $$$ on the fill
Once that is done, salt, chems, and instructions on the equipment is all that is left.
Then, the really hard part starts - figuring out my landscaping!
In the attached pic of the equipment pad, anyone know what the pipe on the pad with the opening is? It appears to be some sort of vent to me.
20190430_160415.jpg

20190430_160438.jpg

Attachments

• 20190430_161153.jpg
    20190430_161153.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 17

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Below are my fill water test results. I did the TA twice (second was the high TA test). I followed the instructions on how to calculate the results from the box (test kit in sig below).
Our city water has very high levels of chlorine. I think the FC number is accurate. CYA and Salt were not tested since that hasn't been added yet.

Question for the gurus here:
1. They have a bottle of Baquacil (think that is how it is spelled). I read it. Appears to be some sort of cleaner. Should I let the PB add any of that?
2. I saw 2 bottles of Pool Season which appears to be for salt water pools - what about this stuff?
3. Should I let the PB do his thing then start the TFP way? He's done as of tomorrow. No special instructions to maintain warranty. They will close and open next season.

Fill Water Tests:

pH 7.6
TA 430 350
CH 140
FC 9
CC 0
CYA n/a
Salt n/a

You can see the water going in! It's been filling now for 15hrs. I estimate another 7 or 8 before it is done. PB is coming out tomorrow afternoon to fire up the equipment and give me my tour. All that is left now is the fence (next weekend) and the yard (don't think it will ever recover!)

Attachments

• 20190501_132335b.jpg
    20190501_132335b.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190501_120350b.jpg
    20190501_120350b.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: BuckeyeMac
The high TA, read this from Pool School:
Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

The FC cannot be correct. No water system can have that high of FC. Be sure you are using a 10 ml water sample, one scoop of powder, and then each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.

Do not add Baquacil. Under any circumstances. No idea what 'Pool Season' is. Use only the Recommended Chemicals in Pool School. CYA and chlorine to start. Acid to control pH. Then add your salt.

Officially given the keys today. Was given the tour of the equipment, chemicals, etc.
Got it cleaned up. After manually vacuuming, I am definitely investing in a bot!
Kids already jumped in it (water was 70 at the time ? )

Once they were done, added CYA via skimmer sock method. Waiting for that to dissolve.
Prior to that, took readings (PB added salt and chlorine, SWG is set at 50% currently - this was done before I got home from work)

Water Temp at time of readings 70
FC 3
CC 0
TA 320 (still getting a high reading, 3rd running this test)
CH 130
pH 8 (think the SWG is causing that to rise)
CYA currently adding
Salt 3000 (have 1 more 40lb bag to add - wanted see if 3000 was good or if I should add the bag to get closer to 3500)

So, I need to make a trip to the store tomorrow to pickup some MA to get that TA in check. Based on the lower-total-alkalinity article, correct?

Sorry, forgot to take a finished photo. Will get that the next time the sun is out. Going to rain here, again, for the next couple of days.

Last edited:
@mknauss

Did some research: Pool Season is a brand name! The "pepper" was described what sounded like a conditioner for the SWG cells to help prevent scaling.
The bottle of Baquacil was suggested to use in cleaning the pool above the water line

The FC - my stupidity :) In the instructions it said to multiply by the drop equivalent. For some dumb reason, I squared the number of drops :) instead of multiplying by 0.2 for the test I ran.

Are the pH Up and pH down that was supplied by PB okay to use? Or, should I just leave them in the box in my basement where they are right now?

I suspect Pool season is borates. You can add those later if you really need them. But with a vinyl pool, your CH can be near zero without issue. Not sure what your fill water CH is.

pH up is probably borax or soda ash. If you ever need to raise your pH, which should be rare if you follow TFPC, you have it. Be aware that if it is soda ash, it raises pH but also TA by alot.
The pH down is sodium bisulfate. Really should not use that in a pool with a SWCG. Sulfates in your water destroy the metals in the SWCG.

I have no idea on the Baquacil. I know it is used as an alternative to chlorine and is a mess to get rid of. So not sure why or how it is used to clean the pool above the water line. That is just strange.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.