new build in Mont Belvieu Tx

cdeatherage

Jan 15, 2020
houston tx
I have narrowed it down to 2 PB , 1 comes very recommended by a neighbor is very personable so far, we will call him PB A and pool builder B (is local) has a great reputation in the area (but is set in his ways). PB A is a independent that works out of his home(mansion) in Friendswood TX(about 40 miles away from my home) seems very knowledgeable, no website only works on referrals, is telling me to go chlorine, manual timers, do not need a VS pump is using all pentair with cart. filter. PB B is using pentair salt,DE filter, Ozone, automation, VS pump for about 2500K more than PB A. this is for a 17K gallon pool and spa. all other choices seem to mesh with each others quotes. I am still torn between the two. The design is very similar in all aspects as far as decking, PB A uses 4" drains and PB B uses channel drains. What are the go to questions to help me select a PB?

Hello! Welcome to TFP :wave:

My first bit of advice would be is if you can list or upload the prospective contracts to us we can go over them line by line. We may see a problem or have an idea which could be helpful.

$2500.00 is a lot of money, sure, but if something is done better for it it may be worth the extra expense.

Go with the VS pump for sure- since by next year it will be a federal law that pool pumps over .75hp *all* be VS. VS pumps have their own built in timers.

Either liquid chlorine or a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG) is what you want. Most of us *love, love, LOVE* our SWGs. You can set it up to manage the chlorine needs of the pool while you're on a nice long vacation even! If unsure, have the plumbing spaced for possible "future" SWG placement, but you need to tell them upfront so they can leave a good spot in the equipment pad for this. It's no big deal.

Drop the ozone. Its an inefficient system for your residential outdoor pool. Waste of money.

Again, welcome to TFP.

Maddie :flower:

Here are a couple of links to help you:

I hope this helps even a little bit.

Kim:kim:

cd,

What are the differences in the contract terms. Look at things like:
  • Details and specifics of the warranty. What does it mean when something is covered?
  • Payment terms. Never pay in full before completion.
  • How is completion defined?
  • What are your obligations in addition to payment?
  • How is quality measured?
  • Is there a detailed specification? Is there a stamped drawing from a registered engineer?
  • Think about the future. For example if you don't get a heater is there space on the equipment pad to add later. Also, consider the length of pipe to connect to your gas supply in the layout.
  • A fair comparison requires details. Compare model numbers not just equipment brand and type.
  • Is the contractor responsible for all work including pool, equipment, electrical, and permits?
  • Are the terms fair to you and the PB? Do you understand everything? If not, clarify in writing.
Equally important:
  • Does your pool "fit" with the typical work done by the builder. For example does he usually build much larger pools?
  • How well do you understand the work process after signing? How is the design finalized? What choices do you need to make by when? Etc. This should be extremely clear before you sign.
  • Which one do you think you can work with better when things go wrong?
If everything is still about equal after addressing these items I'd go with the Builder B. The fact that he's recommending salt, automation indicates he's staying more up-to-date with pool science. That's at least a tie-breaker in my mind. Some of the items I mention can be "sticky" to address up front. Don't be contentious in addressing them. Handle it professionally and make sure the PB understands you are really doing everything you can to make sure this build will be something you both can enjoy doing together. A great builder will appreciate this approach. If you do this right you'll have very few surprises and when they do happen you'll know how to resolve them with very little anxiety. Before you know it you'll be sitting through the next long, hot Mont Belview summer in the comfort of your pool remembering how much fun it was to get the build done.

Good luck! And I hope this is helpful.

Chris

C,

I too would go with the one that will install the salt system and VS pump. Hands down!!!

That said, without the specific model or part numbers of the equipment, we can't really tell you if what you are getting makes sense.

The Salt Cell, must be rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool. In your case, 40K. This is because cells are rated when running at 100% output, 24/7..

Not all Pentair VS pumps are the same.. Only the 3 HP IntelliFlo can be easily controlled by Pentair Automation.

Not all Pentair automation is the same.. Never ever buy a "lite" version unit.. They will have an "L" in the model number, such as PSL-4 or PL4, etc..

Do not get fooled with "magic".. Do not buy into the claims made by Ozone and/or UV systems.. All magic, but no rabbit.

You do not need an in-floor cleaning system.. Nor do we recommend suction or pressure side cleaners.. Just buy your own robot cleaner. They work better and don't require you to run your pool pumps to clean your pool.

Get two skimmers, at 4 returns...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do they know about each other bidding on your project? I had 7 companies total give me bids and narrowed it down to 2. By then I had a grasp on the design for the most part for what we wanted and the material choices as well. We met with both the last 2 for a 2nd meeting after several email communications with both of them and let them both know that we were down to 2 builders. It was crazy how in the ensuing week they started bargaining with me. After we got each bid we printed them out the A3's and just started going through the contracts. Again very very similar in both regard, but one thing stood out to us....one PB was very aggressive with how close he was building to our house and to our retaining wall...while the other was much more cautious. I asked him about it and he said "oh yeah we do it all the time" "we will need a note from the engineer to pass inspection but thats no big deal"....red flag.

Anyway thats how we chose our builder....sorry to hijack but just wanted to give you a scenario close to yours. FYI even tho we knew we were choosing the PB we still bargained with him as if we had PB2 on the table. Good luck!

Couple things I would ask about:
-Rebar schedule
-Thickness of gunite applied
-Yard repair
-do you bend PVC? Look into the Jury on that...
-how do you lay your plumbing? See pictures?
-warranty of course...most shell warranties are lifetime these days...what does that cover
-what do the potential "gotchas" cost ...ie hitting rock in the build, gas line reroute etc...

I did not see a overflow line. This is very important in in places with big rain like FL and TX get.

I also did not see anything about how they will plumb the skimmer and main drains. They should be plumbed on different line with each having a home run back to the pad and on different valves. Make sure unions are included on both sides of all equipment.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did not see a overflow line. This is very important in in places with big rain like FL and TX get.

I also did not see anything about how they will plumb the skimmer and main drains. They should be plumbed on different line with each having a home run back to the pad and on different valves. Make sure unions are included on both sides of all equipment.
yes they are putting a 2" overflow line with a manual valve that i requested, i will ask about skimmers, I did ask for unions at equipment

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.