Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey everyone, I have just joined this amazing site and wanted to start my own build post. I have been reading the many suggestions and recommendations on other builds and wanted to get some of that for myself.
This is my first pool to ever own or build. Just bought a new house/farm with several acres for the boys to play.
I have about 1.3 acre pond/lake that will sit next to the pool which will provide an awesome view.
I have a builder that we locked in last fall and we are third in line this year. I hope, depending on weather, to get started around the middle to end of May.
I feel like I have information overload with all the research from this site and others.
So here is what I am going with:
20x40 IG with vinyl liner rectangle
I call them Hybrid full width steps. (We wanted the sundeck, tanning ledge, sun shelf or whatever the correct term but didn't want to lose the swimming area. So I decided on making only the second step 24" wide instead of the normal 14")
No diving board, No waterfall, 6'-8' concrete decking on sides and far end, 3' depth in shallow, 6' depth deep end
APC auto cover
250K BTU propane Pentair Master Temp gas heater ( also contemplating the Pentair hybrid heat pump)
300lb. sand filter
After PB recommendation since I wanted automation - switched to all Pentair equipment with Intellicenter, IC40 SWG, IntelliFlo VS, Microbrite colored lights x3
Dolphin Active 30 series robot cleaner
Steel wall construction with ZAM coating and bonded
I just wanted a simple, functional big pool for family and friends with no frills besides automation.
I am sure I will remember more later or as questions are asked.
Attached is a drawing from a landscape architect with dimensions and measurements since we needed a retaining wall around the pool.

Since this is my first build, I wanted to make sure that I am asking the correct questions to my PB before its too late. I don't want to miss something and it come back to bite me where the sun doesn't shine.
Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Pool plan with dimensions Jan 2021.jpeg

Reactions: Apsuhead
M,

Keep in mind that your salt cell should be rated for about 2 x the volume of your pool.. This is because a cell is rated when running at 100% output and 24/7.. I suggest that you get the IC60..

Make sure you get the IntelliCenter package that comes with the internal SWCG power center and the IC60 cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe, I have a silly question. Will the size of the SWG make a difference if using a variable speed pump? To have the most efficient system wouldn't you let the variable speed pump run 24/7 at low speeds and significantly reduce the SWG output? If this is the case whether he buys the IC40 or IC60 would it have the same life? Biggest difference being %output. This is more of a curiosity. I'm still learning as well. We break ground in 6ish weeks....

I personally run my pump 24/7, not because you have too, but because I like making a little chlorine all the time and constant skimming...

Pump speed does not have any effect on the amount of chlorine your cell will produce. Most American cells are either on or off, and nothing in between.

But, that will not make a small cell last longer than a large cell.. Think of the salt cell like the gas tank in your car... If you travel 100 miles in one trip, or two 50 mile trips, you still use the same basic amount of gas.. A large salt cell is like a bigger gas tank. You can drive further before you run out of gas.. And, unlike your car, you can't fill up the salt cell with more chlorine making capability, you have to buy a new cell.. I've used two of them so far, one was almost 9 years old and the other over 7 years old before they ran out of gas..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe Thank you for your suggestions about the IC60.
I talked to my PB recently about the IC40 vs. IC60 and they still think that the IC40 is plenty and what I need. So I don't know the price difference between the two but it's either leave it as is with the IC40 or try to change it. I am not sure what to do or if I should try it first to see how it does and then change out later if possible. Does anyone know if the IC40 and IC60 are interchangeable? So, can I manually change one out myself later if I want?

M,

You can use the IC40.. It will just mean you will have to run your pump longer and the cell will not last as long..

An IC40 produces 1.4 lbs. of Chlorine per day when run at 100% output for 24 hours. Or.. .26 ppm per hour

An IC60 produces 2.0 lbs. of Chlorine per day when run at 100% output for 24 hours. Or .37 ppm per hour

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day... To produce 3 ppm of FC the IC40 will need to run about 12 hours and the IC60 only 8 hours. With the cell set to 100%

Are you planning on getting an Auto-Cover?? If so, the IC40 will be plenty.. Otherwise, I vote for the IC60.

You can just use the supplied IC40 until it dies, and then replace it with an IC60 depending on how long the original cell lasts.. Most "properly sized" cells last 4 to 7 years..

Thanks,

Jim R.

APC auto cover
Nice, I really like the way the APCs fit and finish. I went with a Coverstar because of my particular shell and builder, but would have preferred the fit and finish of the APC. Just a clean look all the way around when installed properly. What color are you leaning towards?

I know the Intellicenter and Coverstar covers work together with an add on, where the automation knows if the cover is open or closed, and you can tweak chlorine output based on the condition. Not sure if that works yet with APC, but may be worth asking the PB. If you could slow the output of chlorine when the cover is closed, the IC40 may just be the right size afterall. Not a deal breaker, just looking to spend someone else's money for a change lol!

switched to all Pentair equipment with Intellicenter, IC40 SWG, IntelliFlo VS, Microbrite colored lights x3
Nice, also have the same in my setup, been very happy in the short time we have used it. I would only add that it wouldn't "hurt" to go with four lights in that span of a pool. I have three in a 30' long pool and think it is just the right amount of light. If I went with a 40' pool, I might have considered a fourth light. Not a deal breaker, but for the price of a microbrite, and you can't add them later so easily, I may consider that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice, I really like the way the APCs fit and finish. I went with a Coverstar because of my particular shell and builder, but would have preferred the fit and finish of the APC. Just a clean look all the way around when installed properly. What color are you leaning towards?

I know the Intellicenter and Coverstar covers work together with an add on, where the automation knows if the cover is open or closed, and you can tweak chlorine output based on the condition. Not sure if that works yet with APC, but may be worth asking the PB. If you could slow the output of chlorine when the cover is closed, the IC40 may just be the right size afterall. Not a deal breaker, just looking to spend someone else's money for a change lol!

Nice, also have the same in my setup, been very happy in the short time we have used it. I would only add that it wouldn't "hurt" to go with four lights in that span of a pool. I have three in a 30' long pool and think it is just the right amount of light. If I went with a 40' pool, I might have considered a fourth light. Not a deal breaker, but for the price of a microbrite, and you can't add them later so easily, I may consider that.
Thanks.
I am planning on going with the light gray.
I have not found anything yet that the APC covers work with the IC as far as automation. I will have to keep looking.
I appreciate the suggestion but will probably leave at three lights for now.
My PB has been really good so far at answering all of my questions about different options. So I might ask their opinion about the lights and see what they say. It’s just money right?!!

I hope everyone is starting to get warmer weather.
I wanted to pose two questions for anyone willing to help that I am dealing with right now.
1. Size of pool gas heater: Currently planning on the Pentair MasterTemp 250K BTU. My PB told me I could go up to the 300K for an extra $500 but didn't think it was cost efficient to go to the 400K. They recommend to stay at the 250K. I am not sure to stay at the 250K or go up. With my limited knowledge of how the gas heaters work, the 250K uses less gas but takes longer to heat up to desired temp while the 400K uses more gas but does it in less time. Since this is my first pool, I am not sure how much at all that we would use it unless there were a couple of warm days in late Fall for a quick swim. So for now, I am planning on staying with the 250K and save the money for something else but would like to get others opinions or suggestions.

2. Pool deck material: I am wanting to keep in mind safety, cost, coolness and maintenance. Right now I am quoted with broom finished concrete. I am trying to decide between the broom finished vs stamped concrete with anti-slip grit and something to help with not being so hot mixed in. Not for sure if this is possible. I just recently saw the travertine but leaning away from that now. Plus, the cost and being too close to my pool build, I feel removes that option. Any suggestions or opinions please? Any pictures would be awesome too.
Thanks
M

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.