New Build in Central Texas - Patio Build Out

I have the piping already in place for our french drains, so that may be why he wanted to go with that. I just want to make sure that I am not going to start getting water into my outdoor kitchen after the pool goes in

Makes sense. I'd ask them about their grading plans for the decking. Make sure the deck is pitched in such a way which directs water away from the kitchen, and not allowing water to run towards it.

Switch to quartzite instead of flagstone...thank me later!

LOL, it's a bit late for that. The plaster is finishing up as I type this :)

If we end up having an issue with the flagstone and/or moss rock, I'm going to look into having this product applied. It consolidates the stone, and apparently is the best way to prevent stone from dusting and shedding/chipping. Not cheap, but would be the right way to do it, and would last a long time.

Makes sense. I'd ask them about their grading plans for the decking. Make sure the deck is pitched in such a way which directs water away from the kitchen, and not allowing water to run towards it.
The plan is for the decking to slope towards the drains like you mentioned. My wife is concerned that because the pool will actually only be about 4 ft from the back of the grill area that we will have what she refers to as a "concrete ditch" next to our pool 😂😂

So the Pebblesheen Blue Surf plaster is in! They'll be back tomorrow, early morning, to acid wash it ... then we fill-er-up!

1598459565775.png

1598459612996.png

1598458484646.png

1598459500876.png

1598458577223.png

I really only have 2 concerns with the job. One is the discoloration from water running down the moss rock, onto the fresh plaster. The foreman said when they acid wash it tomorrow, it'll take care of it. I suppose that's true, assuming it's only on the surface. I did see them put plastic all around the coping and rock, when they were applying the base plaster. Then they added pebble, and worked it a bit before removing the plastic and troweling the edges. Every sub so far has been really, really good ... so I have no cause to think these guys are anything different, and am inclined to believe the guy that acid washing will take care of it.

1598458756163.png

The 2nd issue is just cosmetic, and has to do with how they shaped the lines around the deep end bench. It looks like they created little cavities around the tiles, to try and keep them exposed; but it looks strange to me since the slope between the wall and the top of the bench isn't consistent/even, and dips in around the tile on the edges. We probably won't even notice this though, once it's filled with water.

1598459213281.png
1598459176972.png

1598459144171.png

The only other strange thing I noticed is one of the floor drain pipes is continuously dripping water. I assume it's due to the system being pressurized before they started, and they cut the caps off of the floor drain pipes. They cleaned up the water of course, but I imagine there's enough left in the pipes where it is just dripping out due to gravity. So I went to the equipment pad and turned the jandy valve to skimmer only, closing off the floor drains. Hopefully that stops it ... but even if it doesn't I assume having the plaster around this one pipe stay wet won't cause any issue with the curing?

1598459421441.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you will see those water streaks after...pool looks great, and you are going to really bind with those waterline boulders and brushing! Keep the water balanced, will help with the rock weathering.

It's filling!

1598544518856.png

We broke ground on July 9th, and are filling on Aug 27th ... It might be some kind of record! 50 total days (36 weekdays) from excavation begin to filling with water :D

So before filling, I turned the water off to the house (using my water softener loop bypass valves), took a pic of the meter, and started filling with non-softened water. I have two spigots which are not soft water, so I threw two hoses in. My water pressure is a bit over 90PSI, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes, and what the actual gallon size is of the pool.

1598544904847.png

full

• Haha
Reactions: Stoopalini
I just went out and filmed the meter ... it's flowing at 13.5 gallons per minute. So if the builder's estimate of 14,200 gallons is correct, it should take 1051 minutes, or 17.5 hours. That would finish it up right before 5am

Reactions: Newdude
3850 gallons down, only ~10,350 left to go LOL! It's tracking right at 13.75 GPM fill rate

The color is beautiful! I know it'll change a bit as it cures, but Pebblesheen Blue Surf was definitely the right choice for us :)

1598561912405.png

It will lose most of the green tinge in full sunlight after its balanced. I love our blue surf! Do you know what type of startup they will be doing?

Ya, that's what I've read; although my colorblindness doesn't allow me to see the green anyway :p ... but the wife was happy to hear the green which she is seeing will diminish over time.

For the start-up, I'm going to do it myself (after already discussing with the PB and them agreeing it's fine for me to do it).

I've already cleaned up the skimmers, removed the plugs from them, installed the baskets and weir doors, as well as got the internals for the Paralevel installed.

Once the water is full, I plan to kick the pump on a high speed for 24/7, use muriatic acid to get the pH to 7.3, then 10% liquid chlorine to bring the FC up to 4, and add some CYA granules in a sock, in the skimmer, to bring it up to 20. The PB will be out tomorrow evening or most likely on Saturday, to do the official start-up; but I plan to have the water chemistry already going by then. The tech will check the chemistry, add some Majic Jack's Majenta Stuff (metal sequesterant), and also hook up the valve actuators and program the EasyTouch. They will want to fill the chlorinator up with trichlor, which I will probably allow them to do, and rely on that to get my CYA where I want it. Then within 7-10 days, they schedue their "Pool School", where the tech comes back to clean the filter and instruct me on all the equipment.

Once the CYA reaches the target, I'll empty the chlorinator and stick with liquid until we're ready to add salt and turn on the IC40.

Music to our ears !!! I don’t have to like it. (Which I DO). You have to love it tho.

So far, the wife and kids all love it! (as do I). I asked my 11 year old son earlier if he took a look at the pool filling, and he smiled wide and said "Yes! and it's AMAZING!" LOL ... good times ahead!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.