New Build - Houston TX!

Very nice looking pool and congratulations on your planning and efforts. Bit refreshing to read a build that has gone well, rather than the norm.

I drew plans like you, coloured them in to try and get a feel for what finishes, shapes, and distances would go with our landscape. I put measurements all over the place in an attempt to get it right in my head, and eliminate mistakes. PB still set it off the house rather than the retaining wall. Its ok but could have been a little wider at the wall than at the house, especially as the pool cover needs to be accommodated there.

Interesting dig day PB asks me for my pics, then made a bit of a scene showing the contractors my planning. Think he was looking for a laugh but no one did. Kind of knew I was dealing with a FW from then on.

Looking forward to seeing the rest and so nice to see someone who has done a fair bit of planning and reading before kick off get rewarded for it. Good on you.

Reactions: HermanTX
Very nice looking pool and congratulations on your planning and efforts. Bit refreshing to read a build that has gone well, rather than the norm.

I drew plans like you, coloured them in to try and get a feel for what finishes, shapes, and distances would go with our landscape. I put measurements all over the place in an attempt to get it right in my head, and eliminate mistakes. PB still set it off the house rather than the retaining wall. Its ok but could have been a little wider at the wall than at the house, especially as the pool cover needs to be accommodated there.

Interesting dig day PB asks me for my pics, then made a bit of a scene showing the contractors my planning. Think he was looking for a laugh but no one did. Kind of knew I was dealing with a FW from then on.

Looking forward to seeing the rest and so nice to see someone who has done a fair bit of planning and reading before kick off get rewarded for it. Good on you.
I feel this. I was doing all this too. I was out there with ropes and stakes and measuring tape while referencing my lot survey, etc.

The picture I drew which was in the first post, one PB gave me a bid for this design they made after meeting with me and taking a photo of what we want back with them.

1660434644806.png

We obviously didn't go with them.

I had a scare as well about how they aligned the pool, but luckily all seems well enough so far 🤞. It is pretty awful that the PB would think your planning was funny. Such a expensive and permanent undertaking, you would hope they would appreciate the business.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
Tile Day 2:
Coping, Rock wall, and Tile are nearing complete!20220813_183329.jpg

20220813_183436.jpg
They did a great job so far we think, and once we get the pool finished and yard and landscaping cleaned up we think it will look real nice. Right now the rocks look kind of bland against the mud/clay, but again, once the water is filled and the palm trees are behind them should be great!

20220813_183410.jpg

20220813_183348.jpg

Reactions: Jaffles and kimkats
Well a few days ago it felt like things were moving fast! They finished the coping, tile, and rock waterfalls. However they forgot the jump rock! No big deal, I told the builder and he looked in the paper work and saw it was there, so they will come back and add it at some point. I told him no rush and I am not wanting to hold anything else back, they can just drop it on when they have time. I know we don't have a deep pool, but kids are going to jump off those rocks no matter what, so we thought we might as well make a place for it in the deepest part, and we will naturally have to be very strict about no diving (which we would have to be anyways).

After that electric came on in.
They went ahead and did the bonding and grounding. They only attached the copper wire to every 3rd rebar or so.
20220817_130628.jpg
They also did the equipment pad.
20220817_130512.jpg20220817_130534.jpg20220817_130423.jpg
Luck our panel had space already as well.

20220817_130853.jpg
And they got all 4 of the pool lights in.

20220817_130656.jpg20220817_130700.jpg20220817_130710.jpg20220817_130718.jpg

Al that was left is basically decking and plaster. We were super excited, thought we were about to be done. Then this happened...
Screenshot_20220822-121326_Lorex Home.jpg

Went from 0 water to this over the course of 2-3 days. We have another 10 days of possible rain, but with any luck it will be scattered storms and skip us so we can get going!

The mud/clay coming out of the holes in the wall looks so nasty :ROFLMAO:

Yes thought "what the" when stain appeared from my lights, thinking shouldn't they be water tight. l'm told in the fullness of time all will be good.

We were thinking a pile of rocks for a jump rock, as it had it when digging the hole we found only 1 rock. A nice big flat one perfect for jumping. The excavator smacked it, gouged it, threw it around and scared it up a little, but I just could not bring myself to be precious about the rock standing around with 5 blokes digging a hole.

Attachments

• r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 12
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 12
Yes thought "what the" when stain appeared from my lights, thinking shouldn't they be water tight. l'm told in the fullness of time all will be good.

We were thinking a pile of rocks for a jump rock, as it had it when digging the hole we found only 1 rock. A nice big flat one perfect for jumping. The excavator smacked it, gouged it, threw it around and scared it up a little, but I just could not bring myself to be precious about the rock standing around with 5 blokes digging a hole.
:LOL: Nice that you found some rocks though. We are all mud and clay here! Not a rock to be seen!

That does look like a pretty good rock. It is also cool how you are doing some of it yourself, I wanted to but was scared I didn't know what I was doing. If I ever build a pool again I might just go for a Owner Build.

Yeh we are happy with it. I wanted it to look precarious buy sitting on little and seemed out of balance. We do a lot of hiking in country like that where the rocks just have you marvelling. I could not bare to think how I would live if it toppled forward with a few teenagers on it however, so we added some safety.

r3.jpg

I am definitely going owner builder if I ever build another. And I'm a little disappointed I didn't find TFP before we signed, lots of great ideas on here.

Be careful what you wish for though, neighbour 2 doors down hit rock. 5 days and 17K AU later along with a huge pile of rocks in the back yard he had some form of a pool. Side walls all over the place so more concrete was also required, and had water running into the pit-pool the whole time. He's kept his chin up though.

After weeks of rain things finally started moving again. I texted my PB asking if they could get some of the prep work for the decking done and get the drains from the house roof and the pool overflow to go to a popup valve out on the street. I said it might help with the flooding and help keep the ground a little more dry so when they are ready the ground will be ready.

It worked, they came out and put up the forming work and set up the drain pipes out to the street.
20220912_132508.jpg
They filled it all with that gravely stuff and then packed it down with a machine they ran over it a few times. I thought I was lucky to get this much done, but to both mine and the project manager over my pool build (the PB rep) surprise they came back and kept going.

20220906_163601.jpg20220906_163541.jpg20220906_163525.jpg

PB then told me he would try to get me a pour date. The decking crew showed up the next morning ready to go bright and early with a giant load of cement in a big truck. PB got there just before the actual pour started and said he didn't know either and rushed over when he found out. So far I have to say I like this decking crew, they move faster than my PB.

20220908_194147.jpg20220908_194109.jpg20220908_194113.jpg

Now I am out there watering the new deck 7+ times a day. PB informed me they will move ahead with plaster next, just getting a date for the cleaning and prep crew and the plaster crew.

After that the decking crew will comeback and do the colored stamped flagstone overlay that we wanted. This part they have to do over our pre-existing slab as well. Hopefully that part goes well!

Now for the plaster and I will be reminding my PB again that it is Pebble Sheen Blue Granite with Luminous Glass and Shimmering Sea.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
Now for the plaster and I will be reminding my PB again that it is Pebble Sheen Blue Granite with Luminous Glass and Shimmering Sea.
Day of Plaster
  • Clean up around the pool area the day before - brush any dirt/mud or debris that could be tracked into the pool during or after plaster
  • Verify that the bags of plaster are the proper type and color you selected on morning of plaster.
  • Take a sample of the mixture when they are applying it to the pool by pouring some in a small clear plastic cup (good for reference later)
  • Do they have all the proper return nozzles and drain covers (type and color) to place after plaster installed
  • Have you tested your fill water? Are you filling with softened water or regular tap water or well water?
  • Have your hose ready (and clean) as it will be laying in the pool.
  • Tie a sock or cloth around the nozzle so it does not sit on the plaster.
  • Put the end of the hose at the lowest part of the pool to avoid channeling in the new plaster. Also, consider tying a plastic jug to the nozzle such that it will float up as the water rises.
  • Ensure you take note (or a picture) of your water meter reading before you start to fill
  • Be prepared to take note of your water meter as the pool reaches certain levels, i.e bottom of bottom step, top of bottom step, etc. (it helps in the future to know volume of your pool at certain levels - should you ever have to drain portion of it)
  • Plan to set an alarm every 4 hours (or so) to ensure hose is still in pool, no debris blew into pool, etc.
  • Do NOT stop the flow of water once the pool starts filling as doing so could cause a ring on the new plaster.
  • Take a picture of any chemicals they bring on site that they plan to dump in when they start to add water to pool
  • Continue to fill pool to center of water tile or center of skimmer. Take picture of water meter at end of fill
  • Get clear instructions from PB as what to do the day the pool is full - how often to brush, will the pump be turned on, etc.
  • Define with PB when he will be back out to set up water chemistry.

Reactions: Rebuke

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They cleaned the pool and put in the jump rock. Pebble plaster is scheduled for Wednesday, Acid Wash they think will be Thursday.

The jump rock isn't quite what we wanted. It hangs out much further than we wanted, and it has a corner that juts out. It also is only 4"-6" over the water line which seems dangerous for swmmers. I am thinking of somehow cutting off about 10".

What do y'all think? I am not sure I can get the PB to do it, so I might have to go see if I can do it and rent equipment for it. I'm sure there are DIY videos out there.

Do I need to rush before plaster? Could I hire a Mason after the pool is filled and get something done?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220919_140832.jpg
    20220919_140832.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220919_140759.jpg
    20220919_140759.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220919_140744.jpg
    20220919_140744.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 30
How deep is it under the rock?
Looks like it will be slightly more than 5'6".

I talked to the PB though because they called to push back plaster and do the stamped overlay on the decking first. While they were at it I was able to get them to agree to chisel about 10" off of how far out the rock is sticking, bringing it down to a little more that a foot.

If it is only 5'6" deep there I would think about not having it all. It should be 6' at any designated "jump" area. That is to avoid HARD butt hits when cannon balls are done. Anything less could cause problems when someone hits their tail bone on the bottom :(

Reactions: joel98z
If it is only 5'6" deep there I would think about not having it all. It should be 6' at any designated "jump" area. That is to avoid HARD butt hits when cannon balls are done. Anything less could cause problems when someone hits their tail bone on the bottom :(
Kids and Adults (including myself) would jump off those rocks or even the coping in the shallower areas regardless. This will funnel the activity to the deepest part and allow easier control over the activity. Obviously No diving. But we aren't worried about it.

Last edited:

Agree maybe even 6.5 to 7' .. Mine deep end is 6ft and cannon balls off my "jump area" can result in hard but hits on the bottom.

They came back and fixed up the jump rock, looks much better now. Very happy with it.
20220923_110143.jpg
20220923_110129.jpg

Also got the decking finished.
20220923_110208.jpg
20220922_150130.jpg
They also drilled the holes for the volleyball net.

Now, finally, just plaster, acid wash, fill, and start up!

I know other have had to deal with their process taking over a year, but even just these 3 months have felt like too long.

Plaster is done!
20220929_091945.jpg20220929_105803.jpg
20220929094407.jpg
Screenshot_20220929-104159_Lorex Home.jpg20220929_110044.jpg

I tested the fill water from two hoses. Both came up with:

TA: 240
CH: 75
pH: 8
Cl: 1.5

Pebble Tech says:
1664470752930.png

So clearly we have some disparity.
pH and TA need to come down.
CH needs to go up.

The PB says they will acid wash tomorrow and start fill. He things they may not be back out till Monday to adjust chemistry and to startup. I am worried because my CH is very low and my pH is very high.

Should I push harder for them to come out Saturday Afternoon to start the start up instead of waiting until Monday?

thanks.

Make sure you note your water meter before and after filling. Make suitable adjustments for average household water usage, and you'll have a very accurate pool volume.

Reactions: Rebuke

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.