New Build - Houston TX!

Most of the plumbing was done today and the main pump, filter, and uv/ozone were set up. The water feature pump is apparently "on its way" or something, so they will be back to finish setting that up. Also ran a new gas line out to the otherside of the decking.

All the lights and the easy touch came in. I took pictures of all the equipment labels etc. Including the Hayward skimmers jic.

Nice to see some progress again! Feels like we are so close if the scheduling would just happen.

Still need:
  • Electric work, grounding, bonding.
  • Pump for water features
  • Tiling, coping, weeping waterfall rock line
  • Decking and drains
  • Pebble sheen Plaster & Fill
To me at least it seems that that could all happen very quickly with efficient scheduling and no delays. Here's to hoping!

At least they didn't cut the internet this time, and were observant of the new power drop. Irrigation is 100% wrecked though. Luckily 1/2 my backyard won't need it anymore.
Overall looks good. Just a couple of other items
They should add 2 actuators to the 3 way valves on both suction and return to switch between Spa and Pool modes. The ET will control these.
There should be a RS485 cable that came with the pump that will be used for control between the pump and the ET controller. Put that in a safe place as they are expensive if you have to purchase separately.
Not sure what you have with the water feature pump but have individual Jandy valves as you do on the skimmers on those feature items. This will provide better control.

If you have not ordered your test kit - do that now so you have it when they add water. You can test your fill water now to review what you will have in the pool to start.

Prepare for plaster by denoting your water meter reading directly before they add water and when when it fills.
Have your hose ready and wrapped so it does not damage any fresh plaster.
Verify the color and proper plaster on the morning they arrive before they start to mix it.

Good Luck with the final steps.

Overall looks good. Just a couple of other items
They should add 2 actuators to the 3 way valves on both suction and return to switch between Spa and Pool modes. The ET will control these.
There should be a RS485 cable that came with the pump that will be used for control between the pump and the ET controller. Put that in a safe place as they are expensive if you have to purchase separately.
Not sure what you have with the water feature pump but have individual Jandy valves as you do on the skimmers on those feature items. This will provide better control.

If you have not ordered your test kit - do that now so you have it when they add water. You can test your fill water now to review what you will have in the pool to start.

Prepare for plaster by denoting your water meter reading directly before they add water and when when it fills.
Have your hose ready and wrapped so it does not damage any fresh plaster.
Verify the color and proper plaster on the morning they arrive before they start to mix it.

Good Luck with the final steps.

I already have the Test kit! Arived last week. I'll check into the other items as well, and will go ahead and test the fill water! I'll see if I can find that cable, if not ill make it the PBs problem, they should know.

I dont have a spa, so I don't know that I will have a spa mode?

Thanks for the help! Hopefully they can get things scheduled and keep it rolling!

Couldn't find a wire.

Looked it up, looks like a IntelliFlo/Pro3 VSF? Might be able to be wireless?

I'll talk to the PB about it.

Attachments

• 20220803_190128.jpg
    20220803_190128.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Couldn't find a wire.

Looked it up, looks like a IntelliFlo/Pro3 VSF? Might be able to be wireless?

I'll talk to the PB about it.
This is there new pumps. Looks like you may be correct. I need to read up on this new pump.

I dont have a spa, so I don't know that I will have a spa mode?
So looking at your suction you have 2 lines on 1 side which are the skimmers. The other line on opposite side of 3 way valve will be the main drain.

On the return side, you have 2 pipes on either side of the 3 way valve. One is the return to the pool - what is the other? Do you know where it returns to? Can it be a bubbler or is that part of the water feature pump?

You have 3 pipes that are open - I assume one is the suction to the water feature pump and what are the 2 water features they will go to?

Just good to have all of this identified now while you can still see pipes in the pool.

Reactions: Rebuke
So looking at your suction you have 2 lines on 1 side which are the skimmers. The other line on opposite side of 3 way valve will be the main drain.

On the return side, you have 2 pipes on either side of the 3 way valve. One is the return to the pool - what is the other? Do you know where it returns to? Can it be a bubbler or is that part of the water feature pump?

You have 3 pipes that are open - I assume one is the suction to the water feature pump and what are the 2 water features they will go to?

Just good to have all of this identified now while you can still see pipes in the pool.
Great questions. I specifically asked the PB today to make sure the water feature pump would do both of the bubblers and also the 23 linear feet of weeping waterfalls. He said that is the plan. of the 3 open on the left:
  • one is the suction which connects to two intakes in the pool wall.
  • one I assume it the waterfalls
  • one I assume is the bubblers
There are a couple things left undone here.
  • The inline chlorinator
  • 1/2 the UV/Ozone
  • I did mention an extra return line for future heater/chiller or heat-pump/chiller, but I don't know if that that gained any traction, not sure I would even do any yet. For chilling I wanted to try the water features, providing shade, and return fountain add-ons if needed first. For heating I just don't know. We are used to swimming in 67-72 degree glacier lakes and hawaii beaches which are 77-82 so we just don't know yet. Galveston beach water at 85-88 was about the warmest we want the pool to ever get. Just going to play it by ear I suppose.
I imagine the plumbing is going to look something like this (with the water features on their own pump)

1659581755600.png
So maybe it makes sense that they were nice enough to leave a place to install a Glacier Chiller or something in the future? Unless they are going to let me turn on/off some returns over others lol.

Looking at this I am not sure anymore where they are planning for the inline chlorinator. Maybe they forgot and thought I was going uv/ozone only.... definitely not. Will be shooting off a text to the PB in the morning.

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Texan! Awesome thread! I love these blog style threads to document the entire process from start to finish so fun to watch. I did the same for my build earlier this year and a time lapse as well. See link in my signature..

Hello Fellow Texan! Awesome thread! I love these blog style threads to document the entire process from start to finish so fun to watch. I did the same for my build earlier this year and a time lapse as well. See link in my signature..
I went and read through your thread and watched your video, very nice!

I also enjoy reading them, they contain so much information.

Last edited:
Reactions: joel98z
So the PB did indeed forget about the Chlorine feeder. They ran one over today and I now have it, but they said they would add it in to the pad later when they come back with the other pump.

At least there is space on the right side of the pad to extend it later if needed as well!

Found some time to play with my TF-100 kit. Did 1 of each of the test kits. FC number came from the drop test because I couldn't quite tell with the color test.

Hose Fill water:
PH: 7.8
FC: 1.5
CH: 100
TA: 210

Builder is supposed to do water start up, so I am not sure how much this matters. People "in the business" and that have "owned a pool longer then I have been alive" tend to get touchy about the chemistry when I try to talk to them about it. 😅

Attachments

• 20220807_183915.jpg
    20220807_183915.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay I am going to "test" you. Look at this chart and tell me which one is high? it no real worry as it is an easy fix so don't worry about it right now. We will teach you what you need to do to fix it.

People "in the business" and that have "owned a pool longer then I have been alive" tend to get touchy
They are the worst offenders. Don't let them discourage you. Three days after fill of new plaster, the water should start to be balanced, especially with the CYA, pH, and FC. You have lots of great information here coupled with support from fellow members who test their own water everyday. If you have a question, just post back and let us know.

Okay I am going to "test" you. Look at this chart and tell me which one is high? it no real worry as it is an easy fix so don't worry about it right now. We will teach you what you need to do to fix it.

😄 🤣

TA is high. Acid, aerate, and repeat right?

CYA is low (0, I tested lol). And changes to CYA should reflect in FC according to the ratio of ~10%.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
You just made this teacher's heart SO happy and proud!
You Rock Super Star GIF

• Haha
Found some time to play with my TF-100 kit. Did 1 of each of the test kits. FC number came from the drop test because I couldn't quite tell with the color test.

Hose Fill water:
PH: 7.8
FC: 1.5
CH: 100
TA: 210

Builder is supposed to do water start up, so I am not sure how much this matters. People "in the business" and that have "owned a pool longer then I have been alive" tend to get touchy about the chemistry when I try to talk to them about it. 😅
For the Houston area your CH seems a little low and the TA seems a little high. Your testing may be accurate because every water district around Houston is a little different. However, it doesn’t do any harm to test again - practice, practice, practice. Your PB will need to deal with it initially but good info for you to have as water evaporates then you know what you are adding.

I have a water softener that is tied into my pool fill line so I don’t add CH via water additions. It is just knowing what you need to be watchful of each season, so you can monitor it.

Also, most PB don’t really care about pool chemistry as theor goal is to finish the pool and get paid and hopefully it is balanced.
So it is really up to you to do the testing and the fun part is that it becomes quite easy as you continue to practice your testing.
Also refer to the YOUTUBE video for testing guidelines ‘

Here is a thread just for testing. I do warn you to not be drinking thing with you read it though:

Update Time!

Tile and Coping are being done. The same crew does the rocks and waterfalls so I hope they move to that right away when the tile and coping is done!

I got tired of watering by hand, and I didn't really like the coverage of my sprinkler. It was a fancy 4,400sqft one with adjustable angles and width, but I decided to spend $30 on amazon and try out this rotating one. Works wonders!

20220812_190109.jpg

Unfortunately I only needed it for a few days before we got 3 inches of rain overnight. The next day I pumped a lot of water out because I found out the tile guys were coming and I didn't want them to stand in water. Also wasps were getting too friendly with my pool and 🤬 those guys.

The Tile looks great, exactly how we expected it. The coping is a much lighter then we thought. We regret not taking the sample out into the sun to see it in harsh sunlight. It washes away the color. We thought it was going to be a light peachy/yellow white. We got almost a chalk white with the tiniest of hints of earthy yellow/brown. (you can see it in one of the pics) Oh Well. We think we can tie the color in when the decking happens. or we will just stain it later or something if we don't like it.

SO if you are reading this and building a pool, look at the samples in sunlight!

Here are some pictures of the tiles so far. This was about a 1/2 days work.

Attachments

• 20220812_185922.jpg
    20220812_185922.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220812_185938.jpg
    20220812_185938.jpg
    868.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220812_185954.jpg
    20220812_185954.jpg
    967.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220812_190017.jpg
    20220812_190017.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220812_190034.jpg
    20220812_190034.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 57
Loving the care they took to make the tile look just right! The skimmer shows their pride in their work! LOL on getting tired of bonding aka watering your pool. First couple of times yeah this is my new baby.............then it is okay something else can do it for me!

No one else will even notice the decking does not look how you thought it would as they are running to jump in your pool!

For the Houston area your CH seems a little low and the TA seems a little high. Your testing may be accurate because every water district around Houston is a little different.
I'm in The Woodlands (MUD 386) and our fill water TA is 330. :(

• Wow
Reactions: Rebuke and HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.