New build Central Florida

Cavmedic

Gold Supporter
Jun 10, 2019
Seminole, Florida
Hello to all. After reading everything I could read on this site, we finally pulled the trigger and signed the commencement paperwork today with our PB. We started off with a free-form pool design but soon realized that a rectangular design gave us the most pool for the money.

I will update as things get going. We submitted to the HOA today (they actually meet today...woot!) and the PB is starting on the permits.
We live in Central Florida, so the summer weather will play a big part inall of this with the afternoon showers. Lately though, they have been holding off.

Anyway, I have included the layout for the HOA. The PB is submitting to the engineers and should have those plans fairly quick.

A few things:
1. No spa, honestly the wife and I would rarely ever use it. We have 2 sons, 5 and 3 who are coming into their own with being in the water.
2. We wanted a deeper shelf, so we went with an expanded second step. Pool will be 3.5 feet to 6 feet in depth.
3. We also live on a lake, so the wife really wanted a picture window for the screen enclosure. (looks off center in pic but will be centered).
4. All equipment is going to be Jandy. I opted for the PCL1400 SWG since everyone suggests over-sizing. Aqualink automation, Heat-pump, VS Pump, Filter Cartridge, 2 LED lights, 36" sheer water fall.

Once the engineer is done, we will know the returns, skimmers, and such and I will post here to get feedback.

I just wanted to introduce myself and appreciate all you guys/gals do. Many of my decisions have been based off of information gathered at this site.

Thank you!

Screenshot (3).png

looks like a nice build, what kind of chairs do you want to fit on the sunshelf?? The reason I ask is because I had 4' on my build but since I wanted those white loungers, the PB said that the minimum is 6'

We discussed this we the PB. In reality, Grammy may park a regular chair on the shelf but that is about it. Mostly, our 3 year old and his buds will probably hang out there for now. A lot of our friends are having a new kid, so basically a place to keep everyone happy.

Congrats and good luck with your build.. We finished ours couple weeks ago.. We started on April and we only have pending final inspection. We are in Central Florida as well. My PB was Bowles Custom Pools.. very good quality and satisfied with the work. I had issues with Pool Equipment but Warranty took care of it.

That’s a pretty good timeline considering all the rain. Congrats. Got it done while it’s hot.
We interviewed 5-6 but settled on Dreamscapes. They listened to everything we said and stayed within our budget.
A few others came back with a design 10K higher than what we wanted to spend...needless to say, they got the axe.

Again, congrats on your build!

Well after hoa approval and obtaining all the permits, the fun has begun. I had to take down some fence, cut and reroute irrigation, and take down a shrub for equipment access. Also had to move the swing set old school using 3 inch pvc to roll it.

72242955-68B4-466D-8C22-9C08DD88FCA0.jpeg

Well...I called the PB and asked if they could make sure that they shore up the hole as we have a hurricane coming our way. They started shoring it up and started laying rebar. They also "installed" a pump to keep the hole dry. Also supplied the cooler filled with ice cold Gatorade.
Image-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello all....some updates as it has been a while. The rain has delayed things here and there but it is progressing.

Equipment:
IMG_8015.jpg

Pool and Deck:
IMG_8159.jpg

IMG_8160.jpg

IMG_8161.jpg

Now we are just waiting on electric service (Aqualink RS), screen enclosure, and pebble plaster.

I do want to run something by everyone. When they finished installing the heat pump, I went out after they left to look things over.
This is what I found:
IMG_8052.jpg
IMG_8054.jpg
IMG_8053.jpg

Now I am not one to nit pick...but am I out of line for asking for a new heat pump? This thing is costing a lot of money and having bent and smashed fins does not give me a good feeling. I want a new one.

If the cover comes off easily a simple condenser fin comb will do the trick to straighten them out. I get your interest in a new unit, but sometimes there are other equally good options.

FLORIDA in the house! Sorry I am just now finding this build. Not sure how I missed it but I am here now to tell you I LOVE your design. That deep shelf is going to be well used by everyone!! Nice job!

Good job reading and learning. You are much further ahead of the average pool owner with that wonderful test kit. You are close to plaster so lets go ahead and break open the test kit and test your fill water. Do NOT test for CYA as that has to be added so no sense using any of that regent. Post up your findings and I will make you a shopping list. List your findings like this:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA-0 right now so do not test for it

Here is your set of links:
Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:

FLORIDA in the house! Sorry I am just now finding this build. Not sure how I missed it but I am here now to tell you I LOVE your design. That deep shelf is going to be well used by everyone!! Nice job!

Good job reading and learning. You are much further ahead of the average pool owner with that wonderful test kit. You are close to plaster so lets go ahead and break open the test kit and test your fill water. Do NOT test for CYA as that has to be added so no sense using any of that regent. Post up your findings and I will make you a shopping list. List your findings like this:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA-0 right now so do not test for it

Here is your set of links:
Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:
Thank you for the encouragement and the links.
Tallahassee huh? I used to live there. Meet my wife there as well. We both went to FSU. Go Noles!!! At least they beast Boston College today.

i will get on test our tap water and will post results.
We had a waterline tile picked out but the wife didn’t like the fo stacked stone and then a different tile so we did the waterline in the fo stacked stone as well. It basically a long tile.

As for the heat pump. I let the PB know my displeasure, I will see what they do.

Thanks to all for the info. I will update when the next steps get done (electrical, screen enclosure, and plaster).

Why do Florida pool builders install small cartridge filters? What model is that filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.