Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi,

We had a new fiberglass pool installed and completed last fall. Filled with water (no salt) and sat all winter. The past few weeks in NC have been warm enough to get it opened. So got it all cleaned up and was going to add salt to begin using the salt water generator. I must have misread the calculation online. Supposedly the pool is 7000 gal per Latham diagram. I added 5 bags or 200 lbs of salt. I now know that was a little too much to get 3200. But I ran a salt test from TF Test kit and got 4800. I’m new to the kit so figured I was doing it wrong. Ordered salt test strips which gave me 5000. So that pretty much confirmed the first test.

So first question is, could the Latham diagram be wrong listing the pool at 7000 gallons? Using online calculators I tried to reverse the equation and came up with 5000 gallons.

Second question is am I going to pump out a bunch of water to get it where it should be? How critical is excessive salt?

Welcome to the forum.
Most fiberglass pools reported volume is to the top flange. Normally your water level is about 6 inches below the top flange.
That will not equal 2000 gallons however.
Can you contact the installer for more detail?

While you didnt add salt previously, you cannot assume that it was 0 as many things can add salt to the pool including liquid chlorine. Did you test the pool salinity before adding salt?

Welcome to the forum.
Most fiberglass pools reported volume is to the top flange. Normally your water level is about 6 inches below the top flange.
That will not equal 2000 gallons however.
Can you contact the installer for more detail?
Thanks for replying! I’ll be contacting them this week.

While you didnt add salt previously, you cannot assume that it was 0 as many things can add salt to the pool including liquid chlorine. Did you test the pool salinity before adding sa didnt test but
I didn’t test, but now it’s pretty obvious that I should have done that first. For whatever reason I thought I would be more than safe to only put in 5 of the 7 bags they left.