New Austin Build - comparing top bids

we talked with 5 builders and all 5 told us that the yard is not included. every one said they could add it in to the proposal but it would cost us more since they’d have to take their cut of the price.
Agree. Use the PB to cover subs you aren’t comfortable dealing with yourself. I would handle the fence, sprinkler system, and landscaping/fine grading outside of the PB contract. Rough grading will likely be included. However, you do want to ensure that the PB does whatever is needed to get drainage right on the site because that often affects other aspects like the deck, which the PB oversees.

IC 60 for SWCG if you are in the 20’s for pool size.

Which direction is north in your pictures?

I like your design, with the exception of the spa location. We sit in our spa a lot in the winter and watch tv and/or interact with people on the covered patio.

You have a really cool covered patio area with a TV, bar, the tanning ledge is close... then way on the other side of the pool is the spa. If the spa was on the other end of the pool, they could better interact with everyone else too :)

Hmmm. Good point. We need to think more about this - we had been thinking in warm weather adults would stand in the shallow end closer to the TV, bar, etc. with the kids jumping in on the other side. But you are right, in the winter, we’d prefer the reverse.

Agree. Use the PB to cover subs you aren’t comfortable dealing with yourself. I would handle the fence, sprinkler system, and landscaping/fine grading outside of the PB contract. Rough grading will likely be included. However, you do want to ensure that the PB does whatever is needed to get drainage right on the site because that often affects other aspects like the deck, which the PB oversees.

Good advice. We will make sure the rough grading and drainage is covered and will do the rest outside. We have a good landscaper that is reasonable on pricing.

IC 60 for SWCG if you are in the 20’s for pool size.

Which direction is north in your pictures?

Will do on the IC 60. Already talked to builder and it wasn’t a problem. They are updating.

The image below is facing the backyard / back of pool from the patio. From the pool N is towards the new outdoor kitchen area. We have some nice big trees in the back right corner that give shade from the setting sun.

FDD94974-30AB-474E-A4F6-DD488E6466DB.jpeg

Thanks for the compass reading. Some say, eh, it’s sort of this way... My reason for asking on the direction, was regarding the outdoor kitchen roof. Aesthetically I love the design, but was curious if the 2-5 pm sun later in the summer (now through Sept) will tend to come pretty strongly in there with the roof sloped up like that. Although the highest part doesn‘t face southwest, due to the pitched roof, the southwest facing side roof is also partially high. We use roll down sun shade to assist us on our pavilion, but better if not needed. Good thing is you are at the right time of year to check it out by holding something up to that height. The sun will be at a much lower angle by the time college football starts. But I also can’t see the trees and how well they do at shading that area mid/late-afternoon.

Good on the IC-60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.