New Anthony and Sylvan pool

Aug 8, 2018
Smyrna, Delaware
Here’s a little back story........
Contract signed 8/2017 with Anthony & Sylvan
Start construction 9/2017
Completed 7/2018

As the plaster was being finished my husband saw a divot they left in the bottom next to one of the drains. See first pic.
We couldn’t swim until the first week of August 2018 so they said they would fix this in the fall. When contacted in the fall they pushed it off until this spring. When contacted in 3/2019 they sent out an inspector and he said they would extend the pipe and fill the divot and blend the plaster. See second pic. Our water was completely clear until the repair and now it is purple. Has been since Sunday 4/13. I have added 2 bottles of metal out ran filter for 24 hours then back washed. Now I still have the filter running it looked like it was clearing up then not. The guy I deal with at my local pool store says it is a reaction to whatever they used to fill the divot with. A&S also has a diver coming out to look at this “repair”.
What a nightmare! I thought we were going with a reputable company based on referrals and research.
Any suggestions on the water?F578DF40-76E6-4C7B-9DF7-287E68A76917.jpeg5988292C-0C5E-4A15-AAC2-F5559FA87F13.jpeg858E2D0B-C46F-4EDA-9223-65CDBF88E75E.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!
Can you post a complete set of test results from your own test kit?
Have you been replacing the metals cartridge in the Fusion2?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Thanks for having me! My test is as follows
Free chlorine 11.39 ppm
Total chlorine 14.6 ppm
pH 7.2
Hardness 124 ppm
Alkalinity 98 ppm
Cyanuric acid 1ppm
My nature2 filter was replaced 3/25 when the pool was open.
I have read all of those in depth. Last year I had no issues. This happened only after they put tat hideous patch at the bottom of my pool.

I appreciate your issue. We do not provide guidance based on pool store tests. IF correct, you have no CYA and your CH is far too low for a plaster pool.

The Fusion2 cartridge contains metals. I suspect your stains are due to metals.

Did the pool store test for copper?

Yes the cooper is low. I don’t have any stains in my pool only purple water. I understand that it is due to metals in my water. How long should it take to clear up after putting 2 bottles of the metal away in it?
And what is wrong with a test from a pool store?

Purple in a pool environment is typically associated with Copper Cyanurate. It occurs when your copper levels get above 0.3ppm and you have high levels of CYA.

We find that many times pool store employee’s primary goal is to sell stuff, not necessarily get your pool in perfect condition. As to whether that is because of improper training, lack of knowledge or just to sell stuff I will leave up to you. While you would think that a "professional” would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Probably not. But a high pH can activate the copper staining. Was the pH tested right before and after the patch was applied?

It could also be a coincidence that the copper level hit the sweet spot for staining.

See if anything in the article above applies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.