New and Trying to Stay Above Water

jlgarza15

Jun 17, 2019
Bakersfield, CA
Hello TFP members! I just had a Gunite pool built. Plaster was done on Friday and PB added some chemicals on Saturday. I have been lurking on TFP for some time, but things went faster than expected. PB hasn't been by since Saturday. I received my Taylor K-2006 kit today and just took some measurements.

Free Chlorine: 1 PPM, Combined Chlorine .5 PPM, PH was purple, it took 11 drops of Acid Demand drops to get the pH within normal levels, TA came in at 90, CYA was not detected in the test.

PB says pool will be chlorine for a month then he will add salt. I've been scrubbing the plaster twice a day, but I want to make sure my chemical levels are where they need to be. Any guidance would be much appreciated! It's a 13.5K gallon pool rectangle pool. 13.5 FT X 32 FT, has a play pad that's 13.5 FT X 7FT at 1.5 ft. deep. Then goes from 3.8 ft deep to 6 ft for the remainder of the 25 ft.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
This would be a good read -- Start-up New Plaster - Trouble Free Pool
Don't do anything the builder would get upset about. You need to lower your pH.
You also need to learn about CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool
For new plaster, keep CSI between 0 and 0.5 for the first month. Then when you start to use your SWCG, keep it between 0 and -0.3 to keep your SWCG scale free.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.