new and some algae questions

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
85
ontario, canada
#1
I finally joined today. I'd been reading the posts at poolforum for about a week and I think I've managed to clear out a horrible algae problem in only a few days, thanks to all the great advice I read on these forums. Everyone is still shocked that I managed to do it with my bottles of bleach. BF actually said...I can't believe you got that to work...I thought it was just another one of your "great ideas".
Now I'm scared to stop shocking. My FC was 4 last night and this morning, PH 7.4, CC 0, TA 60. The water is blue and has been since yesterday afternoon but still remains quite cloudy. I'm about to go out and vac. to waste and brush.
Here's my question...am I safe to maintain my chlorine levels now or should I continue shocking still? And if so...where does it end?
Thanks again and any suggestions are welcome. I only wish I'd found these forums three years ago when I ended up with a pool.
 

Rangeball

Well-known member
May 25, 2007
785
#2
Welcome, and congrats on the great job :)

Since you posted FC and CC numbers, I'm assuming you have a test that shows them. Dip sticks or FAS/DPD drop test?

What is your stabilizer, or CYA level?

Generally, if you shock in the evening and hold the FC overnight, you've probably killed everything in the pool and now it's a matter of allowing adequate filtration time to get the dead matter out.

How high did you shock to? Did you hold this amount over nght?
 

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
85
ontario, canada
#3
thanks for the welcome...and even more so for the congratulations...I can't help feeling a major sense of accomplishment over this one thanks to all the advice.
I'm using DPD drop testing. I need to go in to have my CYA tested again this week as my kit doesn't test for that but I would estimate it at 70 based on my previous reading and the amounts added since.
I can only read the chlorine levels up to 10 on my test kit but using the bleach calculator I figure I was shocking up to 20 at night. Last night it was at 4 and although I'd planned to shock again the pool got covered up and I fell asleep. I think I was worn out from all my intensive pool maintenance ;) So it held the 4 over night.
What's next?
Thanks again
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
31,339
Sebring, Florida
#4
Survey,

Keep your chlorine levels high 'til your water looks the way you want....sparkling!!! You're on the homestretch so don't let the Cl down 'til you've got your water right. Very nice work!! :lol:
 

Rangeball

Well-known member
May 25, 2007
785
#5
Holding 4 ppm FC overnight when covered is a good sign, seems to point to nothing left in the pool to oxidize. I'd keep vacuuming and filtering at this point if it were me. Oh, and maintaining that FC :)

With an estimated CYA of 70 your FC target would be 8 ppm. Minimum is 5.25 ppm. Your 4 ppm is lower than both. I'd add enough bleach to get to 8, and have your CYA tested so you know for sure. If it's actually lower, no harm done. If it's correct, 4 ppm likely isn't adequate and your risk algae taking hold again.

Good Luck :)