aapoolaa

May 9, 2022
Folsom CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey there, I took over caring for my pool recently and I've been learning loads about pool care.

I've noticed that the "recommended levels" between different authorities, sales people, and other sources tend to vary by quite a bit. I've been reading some TFP forums and many users here clearly know loads, so maybe you can help me with the following question:

Why do TFP recommended levels in general appear to deviate more substantially from "the pack?" For example, using only Swim University to represent the general trend I'm seeing:
  • Swim University recommends a STRICT pH range of 7.4 to 7.6, while TFP's range is quite a bit wider.
  • That being said, Swim University's range for TA is 100 to 150, while TFP is 50 to 90.
  • Swim University has hardness CH at 200 to 275, while TFP is 250 to 650?
Thanks for answering my noob question!

TFP isn’t trying to sell you chemicals. A pH anywhere between 7 and 8 is safe. What trying to keep it in a tighter range does, is gets you to buy a lot more “pH Up” and “pH Down”.

TFP tends to recommend a lower TA because we recommend the use of liquid chlorine (or a SWG), neither of which adds acid to your pool. Most recommendations assume the use of trichlor “pucks”, which are very acidic and will drive pH lower. In that scenario, the higher TA lessens the pH crash from the acidic pucks. With TFP recommended chemicals, the lower TA helps slow natural pH rise that occurs due to aeration (and thereby release of CO2/carbonic acid from the water).

For CH, a wide range can be acceptable. Again, not trying to sell you any “hardness increaser” :). For vinyl pools, aside from “too high” the number doesn’t really matter. For concrete pools, what’s really important is the CSI - or calcite saturation index. That is a value derived from pH, temperature, alkalinity, and calcium hardness. Even then, though, a range is acceptable. Basically you’re just making sure that calcium doesn’t want to come out of solution and deposit on the pool wall, or be etched from the pool wall and put in solution.

Why do TFP recommended levels in general appear to deviate more substantially from "the pack?"
Spend a few minutes searching this forum for that question and you'll see dozens if not hundreds of times this question was answered. Jared points to a couple reasons. Remember, all pools are unique and have distinct characteristics that can make chemical management different. "Should you eat the same foods as your neighbor? Why not, the FDA says so." Same principle. Your pool may have different materials, vinyl vs fiberglass vs plaster. You may treat with liquid chlorine but your neighbor uses a salt generator. Your pool may be full sun while the neighbor's is partial shade. Those are just a few examples.

The pool industry, especially local pool stones, don't have the time to analyze all factors, but TFP does and has. We also rely on our own (home) testing which is easy and reliable. There's a science and legitimate track record of years of pool water management to prove why the TFP recommended levels are established. No hidden costs or agendas, just easy sanitary pool care. Spend some time here and you'll see why. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Exactly what Jared said: TFP isn't trying to sell you anything. The methods and recommendations here are science based for your specific pool. No one here is trying to sell you stuff you don't need.
This is from Swim University site on chemistry. Everything you need to know is right there. "If you click this link and make purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you."

1652185784981.png

Reactions: aapoolaa
Huge thank you to @magiteck, @Texas Splash, and @V___25 your answers. I appreciate it! My next question is, after doing some reading and researching last night: Bob Lowry appears to suggest specific recommended target numbers that, in some cases, appear to deviate a fair amount from the "recommended ranges" in the Pool Math ap. One example would be CYA, which Lowry says should never exceed 50ppm, but the PoolMath app includes up to 60 in its range.

Can anyone help me understand these differences and their importance?

Reactions: Texas Splash
Lowry says should never exceed 50ppm,
You are going to go nuts trying to compare various "pool authorities" to TFP or anyone else. :crazy: The wide variety of explanations is crazy. TFP CYA levels vary primarily on whether a pool is salt or non-salt. After that, it boils-down to location - how intense is the sun? For those reasons TFP adjusts the CYA for optimal protection from the sun, yet not so high it interferes with sanitation.

You are going to go nuts trying to compare various "pool authorities" to TFP or anyone else. :crazy: The wide variety of explanations is crazy. TFP CYA levels vary primarily on whether a pool is salt or non-salt. After that, it boils-down to location - how intense is the sun? For those reasons TFP adjusts the CYA for optimal protection from the sun, yet not so high it interferes with sanitation.
Go nuts? I was out of my mind long before owning a pool! Ha! Hey thanks! Sun is pretty intense here in northern/central CA, but my pool is in the shade half the day so I'm guessing 40 to 45ish will do...but I'm sure I will find out this summer. lol

Reactions: Texas Splash
Huge thank you to @magiteck, @Texas Splash, and @V___25 your answers. I appreciate it! My next question is, after doing some reading and researching last night: Bob Lowry appears to suggest specific recommended target numbers that, in some cases, appear to deviate a fair amount from the "recommended ranges" in the Pool Math ap. One example would be CYA, which Lowry says should never exceed 50ppm, but the PoolMath app includes up to 60 in its range.

Can anyone help me understand these differences and their importance?
For what it's worth, here's an article from Lowry published in 2020 where he holds to the 7.5% FC:CYA ratio recommended here at TFP.

But as Pat says, I'm sure you can find plenty of 'experts' making other recommendations, if you look hard enough. We know what we do here works - with thousands of pools to back it up. :)

Exactly what Pat said. I live in Central PA and my sun, while I think it's intense in late July, ain't nothing compared to what Texas has. I can get by with a CYA of 30-40 in a non-SWG pool. But those in NV, AZ, TX and FL keep their CYA higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.