New (and first ever) Pool! Dallas, TX

Ok so I heard there isn’t supposed to be air in this thing (also what is this thing called). Is that true?

Edit:
Haha so I accidentally made that video public on imgur and got some interesting responses..?
Regardless if anyone knows whether or not this piece of equipment is supposed to have air bubbles that would be helpful ?

Last edited:
That is the pump basket. It is the second step in the filtering system before the filter. It looks like there might be an air leak. My guess is the clear top's o-ring needs to be lubed. You can get o-ring lube from Lowes and such. The kind I use is "lube tube" but it really does not matter so long as it is made for o-rings. It is messy stuff so don't wear good clothes and have a few paper towels ready to wipe your fingers on.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Awp14
In case anyone is curious, it cost us double our water bill to fill the pool. $149 total. No big deal!

That is the pump basket. It is the second step in the filtering system before the filter. It looks like there might be an air leak. My guess is the clear top's o-ring needs to be lubed. You can get o-ring lube from Lowes and such. The kind I use is "lube tube" but it really does not matter so long as it is made for o-rings. It is messy stuff so don't wear good clothes and have a few paper towels ready to wipe your fingers on.

Kim:kim:
Thanks!!!

Is the pool overflow pipe usually porous? We noticed the area that the pipe goes through is muddy and has been the last few days we’ve remembered to check. We are just trying to figure it out before we get sod.

I’ve asked the PB and am waiting to hear back but wondered if anyone else had experience with this.

Attachments

• DC22B05A-939C-43B4-B05B-DBF5869B0DC2.jpeg
    DC22B05A-939C-43B4-B05B-DBF5869B0DC2.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 51
The green thing is a pop up drain. Does your overflow end there? When water goes through the pipe and up to the pop up, that green cover rises to let the water out.
Ya so they extended the drain and ever since then it has seemed to get muddy in the region between where the overflow used to end and where it ends now. That’s why I’m wondering if they used some sort of porous pipe for that stretch. It has been pretty hot and dry a couple days so it makes no sense that it would still be that muddy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They could have extended it with sock pipe or perf corrugated. If so with the rain we had it will be wet in the area. You need to know what the PB did.
Hmm interesting ok. That’s very helpful - thank you! I may dig and see for myself in addition to waiting for their response.

I ran the last 2' of my overflow in perforated pipe so it wouldn't hold water
Ok so perhaps I wouldn’t want it solid anyway. I’m just concerned about the sod going over it next week..
I just dug it up and it’s the black accordion type pipe and when I washed it off it doesn’t appear to have holes in it, but perhaps they’re hard to see.

PB finally got back to us. They said it is perforated and that the ground water level here is too high for it to have dried out yet. Not sure how I feel about that since the rest of the yard hasn’t been muddy during dry spells. But I guess we will just see if the grass takes there since there isn’t much else we can do.

Is there a place that a solid pipe could be run that will not flood your or your neighbors yard? If so I would ask them to replace the holey one with a solid one.
That’s a great idea...I think I’ll just do that myself this weekend.

So we have pool school today, but my husband and I are having a discussion on the waterfall from the spa to the pool right now and would appreciate any insight.

It seems like in order to have the waterfall going the pump needs to be running and 100% of the water needs to go through the spa. If it’s less than 100% we get circulation in the pool and a weird trickle waterfall. So if we have 100% going to the spa first, the waterfall looks great but that means water isn’t really circulating in the pool. Is that normal? I guess I thought we could have water circulating in the pool and spa, and have the waterfall on without having to adjust valves that determine where water is being directed to. Is that wrong? ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.