new and confused

I added the recommended amount of liquid chlorine last night and today FC=1 and CC=1. From what I read and have always done.....I should be shocking after sun goes down to prevent loss. While I am shocking this pool, should I be doing this during the day as well or stick to evening. Where is all this chlorine going that I am dumping in? Is it killing and evaporating?

You must maintain your shock level all the time and never let it go below, day or night.
I my case I decided to shock 3 PPM higher than my chart said this way when I was busy, (work, family) and didn't tend to the pool I wouldn't fall below my shock # and my pool cleared up within a couple of days.

Chuck

Once CC is .5 or less, how long do you keep the water at a shock level? Do you just let it fall to FC level recommended (in my case FC level recommended is 5-7 for CYA of 60)?

brh said:
Hoping it doesn't take too long. We live in Ohio and we are limited with pool time. Thank you! The pool is clear... I just have the FC and CC issue. Just checked chemicals:
ph 7.4
FC 1
CC 1
TA 110
CYA 55-60

You have to keep that FC number up while shocking!

Ok....Another question about shock and FC/CC. My FC level is 5 this morning and when I went to bed it was 17. CC is .5 My water is crystal clear. Am I done shocking when I can maintain FC level of my recommended 5-7 without losing more than 1 ppm overnight or when I can maintain shock level of 18 without losing more than 1 ppm overnight. My hunch is that I am not done. We have an automatic cover (dark navy blue)...is it ok to cover after adding the bleach to keep the sunlight off the pool? Or can I just add enough each day to stay in that 5-7 range? Still learning....

brh, you should still be shocking :(

The <1 ppm loss at night is at all levels.

The down side to covering is the CC can not be burned off, so I would leave the cover off.

Ohhh, and try and keep it above you shock level at all times (best you can). If you need to overshoot the FC a bit (but not up to mustard shock level) to stay above you shock level, I would.

brh said:
My FC level is 5 this morning and when I went to bed it was 17. CC is .5
brh, there's two things that will make your FC level go away like that. One is sunlight. The other is organics. Since you said it dropped 12ppm's in the dark, that means something is eating your chlorine and you still need to be shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.