New Algae Issue

dlwxman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Lafayette, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Spent 6 weeks performing a SLAM in Feb/Mar. Since then pool #s have been spot on and the water crystal clear. Two days ago I noticed algae on two of the ladder steps and also on the walls of that corner of the pool. I was perplexed but I think I know the reason and am looking for confirmation. The concrete pad around the pool has turned black in spots especially at the same corner of the pool where the algae formed. Is that black in the concrete actually algae and maybe was introduced into the pool when it rained hard and drained/splashed into the pool?

Algae is constantly being introduced into all outdoor pools. If your chlorine level stays above the minimum level in the FC/CYA chart, it won’t have a chance grow.

Without test results I can’t say for certain, but my guess is that as summer approaches your water is using a little more chlorine and it dips too low in the middle of the day during high sunlight times.

My SWG runs during the middle of the day to compensate for the loss so I'm sure my FC remains at the proper level. I've tested a various times and the numbers are good. I'll try brushing more but I never had a problem there before. It's frustrating because I have been very diligent at keeping the proper numbers. Now bleach is impossible to find and I haven't been able to find liquid chlorine either. Thank you for your advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.