New AGP - good enough level & install?

HunterWare

May 21, 2020
Central Virginia
I leveled a spot of my yard for a new 14’x48” Bestway pool. I dug the high side (down about 8”) and smoothed out the area but not perfectly, which I discovered after I setup the pool and put the first 8” in. I can get it all within a 1/2” of level if I raise a couple legs on small 1/2”-3/4” blocks, and I dug 3 legs down 3/4” inch.

If it changes the math at all: This location is just for this summer. We will take it down and move it for next year, right now we put it closer to the house and overlooking deck. I’m looking for a fun summer for 2 kids and finishing teaching them to swim, and then being able to sit right over them and watch them play.

My question is basically, can I setup for the summer as is? If not: Can/Should I just raise everything 3/4” with blocks to bring the low/dug ones back to level but lift the high side by 1.5”? For blocks here I would use ground contact PT boards 3/4” x 6” x 6”. Or do I have to take everything down and re-level?

High side on right, low side on left. I noticed that the walls look more slack on the left side of the picture vs the right, which is what started to get me concerned.
F8DD9586-1817-4118-9533-33FF7D5270A0.jpeg

I’m going to switch the stone paver to a rounded piece of 3/4” x 6” x 8” PT board.
E0A44AB6-B837-4A73-BF7E-86A2CBA6620E.jpeg

And the dug down leg... I’m thinking that even if keeping it low is ok I should then dig a bit further and place a 3/4”x6”x8” block under it? Or will it be ok?
841163D8-A5F9-4950-8147-C62497DB160E.jpeg

Thank you all in advance, I want to make a safe pool for the summer for the little ones.

Last edited:
Thank you, yep... I stopped filling when I realized I was almost 2” off and explored shimming and digging. I have it within .5” with the small holes and plates I already made.

I‘m figuring my options are:
- Hold here, fill and enjoy
- Dig 3/4” under each foot without a plate and put a 3/4”x6”x8” pressure treated plate (piece of deck board). Then fill...
- Raise everything 3/4” from where it is now by just placing those plates but without digging. That will leave me on plates with total lifts from 0” to almost 2”. Then fill...
- (I hope this isn’t the result) Pull it down, relevel, and fill.

I’m really hoping for 1, or maybe 2/3. =)

I’m on a well, new pump 5yr ago. I was figuring I’d fill an hr, give a break, fill an hr, etc. It’s a deep well, I suspect I could fill it fine straight up (I’ve run sprinklers for a couple hours just fine before) but thought this might be a kindness to the pump (mostly out of ignorance).

Are posts on ground ok, or do I want to make sure all the legs have some sort of plate?

Thanks again, I hadn’t really thought we’d become pool owners until just now and it’s a lot to learn!

Cool!

And do you think it would be ok to basically just put a 3/4” pad under each foot as is? ie would lifting all the pads from 0” to 1.5” to reach a basically level top be ok, or will that put too much stress of the frame having things jacked like that? Is that a perfectly fine amount of fudging?

Or do I really want to dig a little 3/4” deep whole under each foot as is to place the pad/plate?

Thanks again!

I had same pool up for 2 summers it was about an inch off level and had no issues. Kids had a blast and took it down for the winter. I did use pavers under each leg, left them far enough out and didn’t even bury them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks both! I’ll wait for this rain to blow through and then we’ll set it up... Do people usually pull/roll the groundcloth up inbetween the legs and the liner? Or do they leave it out flat? I could see the argument that pulling it up protects the liner (good), but I could also see the thought that maybe stuff would get worked inbetween the liner and groundcloth/tarp. What is the norm for that?

For my 1st really big pool (16x48 summer waves) i had to drain it twice because it wasn’t level - at first it would just look a little off then it would get about 1/2 way full & become very obvious ?. It was a long muddy process. Before that i had a smaller 12x30 something for several years & it wasn’t so gregarious to deal with as it was able to fit on a flatter part of my yard. Get u a level & a board & make sure you’re good to go all the way around

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.