New AGP Build Southern Ontario

Sep 27, 2016
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPers! It's been a long, long winter here and as we roll into March (and what seems to be a never ending pandemic) I'm starting to look towards summer with great anticipation. I expect we'll be spending PLENTY of time at home again this summer.

We still have some lingering mounds of frozen snow around, and the ground is still a solid block of ice. So what better time to start planning for a pool upgrade! :) Our swim season generally doesn't begin until at least mid-May sometimes later, so we have some time to prep for a more permanent AGP installation.

For the last four years, we've been playing with a tiny Intex 12x30" metal frame. It's reaching the end of it's lifespan, and though the liner is still in reasonable shape (holds water), many of the poles are rusted to the point of threatening a flood of tiny proportions. We're considering upgrading to an 18' x 54" round AGP.

At this point it's all early planning and budgeting. Having done the install of our intex (complete with foam padding underlay), I'm considering taking on the this project as a DIY game. I've got four helpers that I'm sure would be eager to lend some hands as well.

I'm hoping for some feedback on pool wall options. One supplier that has a great reputation and is local to me has both aluminum or steel wall pool kits available. Does anyone with an aluminum walled pool have any feedback on theirs? I'd like to keep the option of a future SWCG open, so will be going with resin components.

I appreciate any feedback!

Lots of folks will be chiming in, I’m sure! I don’t know much about permanent AGP as I have just purchased my first non-Intex pool, but I would go for whatever is going to hold up with your winters and has the least risk of rusting!

Lots of folks will be chiming in, I’m sure! I don’t know much about permanent AGP as I have just purchased my first non-Intex pool, but I would go for whatever is going to hold up with your winters and has the least risk of rusting!
Thanks Kelly. Per your signature, what size is your old Intex filter and pump that you're using with the new pool?

It’s this one, .75hp. It’s actually moving the water really well, but it’s oriented to Intex pool so the pump is on the right if you are standing behind it looking at the pool, and the filter is on the left. My new pool is the opposite, so I’ve got the plumbing crossing over from right side (pump) to left side (skimmer) and vice versa for filter to return. It is driving me nuts!

t’s this one, .75hp. It’s actually moving the water really well
Thanks! I'll be sure to read through your build thread later on. It's good food for thought on my build. I don't have an outlet close enough for a new 1hp pump, so electrical work would be needed for the new pump. As a staging (aka cost management measure) I may try running the current pump for a few months before upgrading. Once swim season starts, I suspect it will be a different ball game.

On that note, I can get a 1HP Hayward Ultra Pro above ground pump (Hayward SP2290) for a good price ($269CAD). I believe this is an uprated pump, but can't find specs on it. Another possibility is a Hayward 1.5hp 2-Speed Turbo Flo II (Hayward SP57152) which is only $80 more. Again, I can't easily find specs on energy usage or flow rates for these pumps.

We have a solar setup that we use for approximately 6 hours each day. It's at the same physical level as the pool, so it's not like a roof mounted system that would need a stronger pump to overcome the initial head. I feel the 1.5HP 2-Speed would be overkill for 7600gallons. I like the energy savings option of a lower HP pump though. Our electic rates run about 20¢/KwH during the summer day hours. A single speed 3/4HP inground pump is $10 more than the 2-speed Hayward.

I feel myself developing paralysis by analysiso_O

Thanks! I'll be sure to read through your build thread later on. It's good food for thought on my build. I don't have an outlet close enough for a new 1hp pump, so electrical work would be needed for the new pump. As a staging (aka cost management measure) I may try running the current pump for a few months before upgrading. Once swim season starts, I suspect it will be a different ball game.

On that note, I can get a 1HP Hayward Ultra Pro above ground pump (Hayward SP2290) for a good price ($269CAD). I believe this is an uprated pump, but can't find specs on it. Another possibility is a Hayward 1.5hp 2-Speed Turbo Flo II (Hayward SP57152) which is only $80 more. Again, I can't easily find specs on energy usage or flow rates for these pumps.

We have a solar setup that we use for approximately 6 hours each day. It's at the same physical level as the pool, so it's not like a roof mounted system that would need a stronger pump to overcome the initial head. I feel the 1.5HP 2-Speed would be overkill for 7600gallons. I like the energy savings option of a lower HP pump though. Our electic rates run about 20¢/KwH during the summer day hours. A single speed 3/4HP inground pump is $10 more than the 2-speed Hayward.

I feel myself developing paralysis by analysiso_O
I know what you mean! But seeing the kind of circulation I’m getting now, I think a 1hp will serve my needs nicely, but I definitely want a 2 speed.

Just checking in... did you manage to find a two speed 1hp pump yet? I see a Pentair Optiflow which offers this but I have no idea if this a good product or not:

I haven’t looked much this week, been too busy with work and trying to resolve a stupid fast drip at my return! I haven‘t heard of Pentair, so I don’t know either. I see they are sold out of Waterway... I think @magiteck has one of those.

Just checking in... did you manage to find a two speed 1hp pump yet? I see a Pentair Optiflow which offers this but I have no idea if this a good product or not:

I haven't been able to find any 1hp 2-Speed pumps for sale in Canada for a reasonable price point compared to the 1.5HP pump I've been looking at. Bringing a pump in from the US will end up costing a lot more than buying one locally, so I'm pretty sure the Pentair is out for me. From what I have read, Pentair pumps seem to be well built.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm ready to take the plunge and get my pool ordered. I want to do it sooner than later as last year, supply sold out super fast. Today is a warm, sunny spring day so I trekked out into the mud out back and measured out an 18' vs 21' round pool. We have a decently large yard, so space isn't an issue. At this time I'm liking the look of the 21' pool. It's effectively 3X the footprint of our current pool! I'm not so sure about digging out the spot for the install, but I figure many hands can make for lighter work;)

I haven't been able to find any 1hp 2-Speed pumps for sale in Canada for a reasonable price point compared to the 1.5HP pump I've been looking at. Bringing a pump in from the US will end up costing a lot more than buying one locally, so I'm pretty sure the Pentair is out for me. From what I have read, Pentair pumps seem to be well built.
I have no idea if this is available in Canada so apologies in advance if you already saw this and can’t find them:

I think it’s available in Canada now I look, but the price may be reliably high as you already said!

the Pentair I’m looking at is evidently on back order so I’m considering this as a backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashtonfitzgerald
I have no idea if this is available in Canada so apologies in advance if you already saw this and can’t find them:

I think it’s available in Canada now I look, but the price may be reliably high as you already said!

the Pentair I’m looking at is evidently on back order so I’m considering this as a backup.

I haven’t looked much this week, been too busy with work and trying to resolve a stupid fast drip at my return! I haven‘t heard of Pentair, so I don’t know either. I see they are sold out of Waterway... I think @magiteck has one of those.

Yeah I have a Waterway pump that I’ve been happy with. Honestly they seem to use the same Century motors that the others use — so it’s just the wet end that might be somewhat different.

I just upgraded over the winter from a 1.5hp SS Waterway Hi Flo pump to an identical 2 speed version. I would have gone with a 1hp 2 speed but I couldn’t find any available in horizontal discharge to go with my cartridge filter. I plan to run on low 99.9% of the time so figure it didn’t make a ton of difference.

Not sure what shipping looks like but that Waterway pump linked here looks like a great deal. I paid $372 shipped from Inyo for my new one. Hoping to recoup a chunk of that when I sell my old SS pump. Just too early in the year around here for “normal people” to be shopping :)

Reactions: Novak77
Yeah I have a Waterway pump that I’ve been happy with. Honestly they seem to use the same Century motors that the others use — so it’s just the wet end that might be somewhat different.

I just upgraded over the winter from a 1.5hp SS Waterway Hi Flo pump to an identical 2 speed version. I would have gone with a 1hp 2 speed but I couldn’t find any available in horizontal discharge to go with my cartridge filter. I plan to run on low 99.9% of the time so figure it didn’t make a ton of difference.

Not sure what shipping looks like but that Waterway pump linked here looks like a great deal. I paid $372 shipped from Inyo for my new one. Hoping to recoup a chunk of that when I sell my old SS pump. Just too early in the year around here for “normal people” to be shopping :)
Good to know and thankyou for the review! I’m going to call on Monday and if they don’t give a good answer on the back order issue, I’ll see if I can find a waterway 😎

It’s been a quiet month on the pool front here. Some beautiful days in March got things thawed out, and unfortunately work was very busy. The pool was delivered just over a week ago and yesterday’s sunshine provided a great opportunity to clear out the old one. Several hours of siphoning and a pump running, we drained the little beast and took it down.

Anyone in the GTA looking for some intex pool parts? The T’s and uprights are still in great shape. About half of the horizontal poles are severely rusted.

Uploading photos from my phone is janky at the moment and I don’t have the patience to fiddle with it...

Reactions: Newdude
I’ve been away for quite a while here, but have been working bit by bit on getting this behemoth set up. Spent several days removing sod, digging out about 2 cubic yards of soil to create a level spot. It was all hands on deck for the ground prep.

After several days of digging, we had it mostly flat.

C0AA3A41-1553-42DC-978D-2FFB58122142.jpeg

After much more scraping and triple checking, we had the site levelled and flat. Had the sand delivered this past week and today was install day!

The crew was enthusiastic and with coaching worked out to be an efficient team. There’s something to be said for many hands making for light work! The crew were more than happy to hop in and help smooth out the liner bottom. After many shouts of “Rocket Gator!”, I suspect they were getting off task😂.

15E49B1A-6FDE-48DD-B7F1-D1B0885DB6E2.jpegAs I sit and relax on the deck with a cold glass of wine, the pool is filling. Birds are singing, and as the sun dips behind the trees, the mosquitoes will soon chase me inside. For now I’m enjoying the view.

2AD57ABF-7BAC-4C69-87F0-C46E06288BDF.jpeg

Sorting the equipment is the next task, but our old equipment will suffice for the short term.

The pool has been filling slowly for the past 48 hours and today I installed the return and skimmer. That was slightly nerve wracking as it goes against my motto “if it isn’t leaking, don’t mess with it”. Taking a knife to a pristine liner took some pumping up for, but it’s done. Went to hook up the pump and filter only to discover I had far less teflon tape than I thought!

All of Ontario is still riding our third wave of COVID and thus retail stores are closed but for curbside pick up. I’m patiently waiting for the email notification that my $0.97 purchase is ready🤣. The pump and filter are dry fit for the time being as I wait and get some actual work done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.